Recommendations for New Security Camera System

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All - I'm new to the forum and have been researching ip cameras and camera systems for residential use. I've been eyeing the ones from Swann, Q-see and Lorex from Costco, mainly due to post purchase support/warranty. I then read on here that some people talk about Hikvision being one of the best but there seems to be mixed reviews on their night-vision capabilities and their brand of NVR recorder doesn't seem to garner great user reviews on Amazon. I've also looked at Foscam/Amcrest and despite the price and features, I’m really not a fan of the brand due to their spam of fake user reviews and pain-in-the-ass setup process having owned a couple of their indoor wireless cameras. So with all of that said, can someone recommend a good system (complete or DIY) for the requirements below?

• Minimum 6 POE IP cams
  • Excellent remote viewing/control via smartphone app
  • NVR hub with at least 2TB storage
  • Total cost < $1,000 (ideally)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A decent 6x+ PoE kit with 2TB HDD for less than $1,000 with local support and warranty?

Not going to happen. You're going to struggle even if you import everything and then have no local support and warranty.

Hikvision NVRs are one of the reasons I recommend Hikvision to noobs. They are easy to setup and have good app support. As for their cameras, no their not the best at night (not much is) but they are good/adequate and at your price range and requirements they are the best.

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Del Boy, you understand why a newb (like me) might be confused by your remarks? An Amcrest 720p (HDCVI?) 16 channel, 8 camera complete system can be had for less than $600. For $800, you can get the 1080p with 3TB. In what ways (aside from not being IP) do they fall short of the OP's criteria?

I'm sure all this has been thoroughly hashed before. I'd be happy to find some unbiased (google returns mostly vendors selling) blogs comparing the cheap stuff with the quality stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Del Boy, you understand why a newb (like me) might be confused by your remarks? An Amcrest 720p (HDCVI?) 16 channel, 8 camera complete system can be had for less than $600. For $800, you can get the 1080p with 3TB. In what ways (aside from not being IP) do they fall short of the OP's criteria?

I'm sure all this has been thoroughly hashed before. I'd be happy to find some unbiased (google returns mostly vendors selling) blogs comparing the cheap stuff with the quality stuff.
You dont want to install hdcvi in 2016 on a new installation. A 6 camera 8ch system can be had for 700.
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD,-6-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100290512.html
A better solution would be buying turret style dahua/hivkision cameras for about 100 each, a 300 dollar i5-4590 pc running blue iris (60) and a poe switch...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HDCVI isn't IP. Avoid. Not just because of that but CVI is dead. Do they fall short of the OP's criteria. YES THEY DO - MASSIVELY. The only criteria is meets is the fact it's cheap.

Don't rely on unbiased blogs, most are biased, most are Amazon affiliates, that's why they all recommend Foscam, Armcrest rubbish or Grey-imported Chinese cameras Hikvision for full-price.

Amcrest also avoid, especially 720p which will be shockingly bad. http://foscam.us/forum/so-we-still-like-foscam-right-t18802.html

This isn't a personal attack, I've put that in bold because I don't want people buying this crap and regretting it.

I'm just pointing out two things:

1) Hikvision is fine at night and the NVRs (especially software for NVR - iVMS for your iPhone or Android) is great
2) Your budget for 6 decent cameras, 2TB HDD and local warranty & support is too low.

My recommendations would be milkisbad (for Hikvision rebranded) or Nelly's (on this forum) but you'll need a bigger budget. You won't regret spending $300 to $400 and getting quality gear that will be reliable and last for years.

Edit: Or what fenderman said, that's 1080p but is a great deal at 700usd if you want to buy from a shop (I was looking at 8ch prices and 4MP cameras btw!)

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm definitely still learning/reading up on all of the options. Nelly's Security has come up in other searches and their markup is quite high for Hikvision versus what I see elsewhere but you do get 3yr warranty and guaranteed updates from Hikvision for cameras and NVR. Should I also look into Hikvision NVR hub or another brand is better? If quality and support is there, I can definitely stretch the budget ($1,500?) as I plan for the equipment to last awhile.

Btw Del Boy, I agree 100% Foscam/Amcrest makes bs products. They're cheap as hell but you really do get what you pay for. Setup is not easy at all and on top of that, the company takes part in constantly spamming fake user reviews on amazon to sucker more people into their product.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Stick to the same brands, don't mix and match

If you buy Hikvision cameras then get a Hikvision NVR

If you buy Dahua cameras then get a Dahua NVR

Simples. You won't regret spending a little extra and getting a super system. But that $700 deal is great if this is your first system, that won't need updating anytime soon either so don't worry about that. If you've had problems before spend more and get 4MP, if you haven't 2MP is still amazing vs Analog 420TVL and cheap rubbish

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this will definitely be my very first system but I also don't want to cut corners on quality as again, I plan for the installation to last quite some time (barring any defects or equipment breakdown). are there any other reputable resellers worth looking into?

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, is the Lorax system @fenderman linked decent? If not, what does it lack that a Hikvision system would have? Costco also has that system with 8 cameras for 1000 bucks.

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using Nelly's Security for reference, would the following be a good starting point? Do I need to purchase special CAT5 cables for the camera or would standard ones work?

6 x Hikvision 2MP bullet IP cam
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp/hikvision-2cd2020-i-outdoor-hd-2mp-ip-bullet-security-camera-4mm.html

8-channel Hikvision NVR
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/nvrs/8-channel/hikvision-7608ni-se2-8p-8-channel-poe-plug-n-play-hi-def-nvr-recorder.html

1 x WD 4TB Purple SATA drive
https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Surveillance-Hard-Disk-Drive/dp/B00IMPO5OW

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I was in the same boat. I'm throwing this out there just to speak on my experience:

I spent a few weeks searching for cameras, not making decisions and finally I just bit the bullet with Nelly's and got 4 Hikvision Cameras with a Hikvision NVR. It was a very good experience. I ordered yesterday and my package is out for deilvery today because I'm close to OK. Anyways, it was a good buying experience and I'm confident setting them up will be easy with their instructions and support. I spent a little under $1,000 for 4 cams and a NVR.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any particular reason why go with turret over bullet? I'm not seeing any Hikvision turret cameras available on nelly's security.
Turret suffers less from spider attacks and the IR is a little better.

Bullet looks better though :nonchalance:

chippy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@doretau, I spoke with Steven at Nelly's this morning. He was super helpful. Answered a slew of questions, then again when I emailed him another slew of questions I'd forgotten to ask. I got a personal quote from him. The price quoted was a little less than published on their site. I'm ordering from him tomorrow, after I settle on cameras. BTW, he quoted me 4 MP bullets at just a touch more than the 2MP. Good luck!