Recommendation of starlight camera (better than 4MP)

Pax

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been watching/reading threads here for some time. I appreciate all the great info people provide here.

Can someone please recommend a camera that would be an upgrade to my current Starlight 5231R-Z ?

I'd like a camera with the same low light capability as 5231R-Z but with 3 or 4 megapixels.

Thanks in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been watching/reading threads here for some time. I appreciate all the great info people provide here.

Can someone please recommend a camera that would be an upgrade to my current Starlight 5231R-Z ?

I'd like a camera with the same low light capability as 5231R-Z but with 3 or 4 megapixels.

Thanks in advance
Three or four megapixels is not going to be any significant Improvement....
See the threads on the new half inch sensor 8 megapixel... Comparison test have not been done yet...

Reactions: Pax

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks in advance
@fenderman ..thank you

Any particular model you recommend?
The IPC-HF8835F should do the trick.. will be a nice upgrade to the 2MP starlight

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 thank you..

The specs for the IPC-HF8835f looks amazing but it's a bit out of my budget.
thanks again
Hi Pax,

At this time you probably have the best low light performer for the value ( Starlight 5231R-Z ). As you can see the way to get more - will cost significantly more. While there are newer 8MP models coming out, I doubt they're come close the the 5231 in low light performance. As Fenderman pointed out we're all waiting for reviews.

Last edited:

Pax

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll keep an eye out for reviews...
thank you everyone again

LoLight

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At this time you probably have the best low light performer for the value ( Starlight 5231R-Z )
Isn't it HFW4239T-ASE an even better low-light performer for the value?

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Isn't it HFW4239T-ASE an even better low-light performer for the value?
That depends on the lighting around the camera, the HFW4239T-ASE is a full color camera so the low light capabilities are impressive since the image stays color and pretty sharp in low light however if there isn't much in the way of ambient lighting around it will be much worse than the 5231 since it doesn't have IRs and no IR cut filter either so you can't use IR illuminators to provide nearly invisible lighting for the camera like you can with the 5231.

Pax

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @Terk
I've been reading up on 4239T-ASE as well.. i just read a comprehensive review done by one of the member here. It's def. a new bang-for-buck camera.
However, I need higher megapixels to be able to ID cars/people from a bit more distance.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Probably something like

IPC ( for IP Camera ) + HFW ( for Bullet ) + 5xxx for varifocal + x2xx for 2 MP + yy ( something ) + Z12

So.. IPC-HFW52xxyy-Z12
I like the way you broke down the model number convention. Is there any reference to find out the rest of the numbers? E.g. Turret = "" ; Fixed lens = "" is there anything for focal length?
what is Z12 above?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like the way you broke down the model number convention. Is there any reference to find out the rest of the numbers? E.g. Turret = "" ; Fixed lens = "" is there anything for focal length?
what is Z12 above?
Hi Buckfast, thanks

There should be a reference in the cliff notes, as well as a post Nayr did awhile back. You can also find a naming convention from Dahua International ( the model reference I posted ) as well as Dahua USA ( they use a different naming convention )

MarkTG

n3wb
Reaction score
what is Z12 above?
The camera being discussed is the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z12 5.3-64mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z12)

Z12 indicates a 12x zoom. The above model is probably discontinued with a newer IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E version which is almost the same.

I've got one of the original IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 and it is a nice camera!