Recomended Specs for dedicated BI desktop

IPconfused

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with BI for about two weeks now. Currently running a Hikvision 3mp CD2032 bullet and a dahua 3mp bullet, I have a Hikvision CD2132 dome in the box but not installed. With the two bullet camera installed and recording on alerts only and the frame rate reduced on both cameras to five or six fps my CPU load is around 55%. This is on an older HP with an AMD dual core Athlon at 2.2 gHz and five GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro.
I currently estimate my camera system build out to be 6-10 3 mp bullets and domes, with record on alert only, and generally 3 cameras recording per alert. I would like (if feasible) to have a super group of all cameras triggered by external signal from security system. How much computer does this configuration require with 20% reserve for growth? I previously did some GIS based watershed modeling and to have a reasonable refresh rates needed a 2 X dual core Xeon processor based workstation (no quads and above at that time). I have some ideas, but would rather hear from you. I am not considering cost at this time except to say, I don't want to solve this by simply throwing money at it.

Thanks for any input.

IPconfused

dalepa

Reaction score
An i5 or i7 system with 16GB ram should be plenty.

I have been experimenting with BI for about two weeks now. Currently running a Hikvision 3mp CD2032 bullet and a dahua 3mp bullet, I have a Hikvision CD2132 dome in the box but not installed. With the two bullet camera installed and recording on alerts only and the frame rate reduced on both cameras to five or six fps my CPU load is around 55%. This is on an older HP with an AMD dual core Athlon at 2.2 gHz and five GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro.
I currently estimate my camera system build out to be 6-10 3 mp bullets and domes, with record on alert only, and generally 3 cameras recording per alert. I would like (if feasible) to have a super group of all cameras triggered by external signal from security system. How much computer does this configuration require with 20% reserve for growth? I previously did some GIS based watershed modeling and to have a reasonable refresh rates needed a 2 X dual core Xeon processor based workstation (no quads and above at that time). I have some ideas, but would rather hear from you. I am not considering cost at this time except to say, I don't want to solve this by simply throwing money at it.

Thanks for any input.

IPconfused

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, i5 will handle it, but i7 will allow you to use higher frame rates for about $100 more. Your choice.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For comparison

I have an i7 3770k with 8GB of RAM.

4x DS-2CD3332-I
2x IPC-HDB3200C
2x IPC-HFW2100
1x DS-2CD2732F-IS

They are all set to the max resolution. Live view is set to 5fps and recording is set to 10fps. BlueIris is currently running at 30-35% cpu. If you crank up the fps to 15 on record it jumps to near 50%.