Reaction to Shingles vaccine

Reaction score
All of you have my extreme empathy. I experienced shingles while still in my 30s, and while the itching and rash were horrible, they went away quickly enough. What killed me was the never-ending neuralgia that lasted for months afterwards. And don't get me started on kidney stones. (see below). The big one tore up things on the way out. The little one was his ugly brother, came out a few weeks later. This was last year.
stones.jpg

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the older single-shot Zostavax and still got shingles? From what I've read, it's less effective than the newer two dose Shingrix.

Reaction score
Kidney stones - 21 in one weekend in the 90's. My first experience with kidney stones happened on Friday and I didn't know what the cause of the pain was. Made an appointment with my primary who suggested it was kidney stones and would set up an appointment to blast them on Monday.

Well, I started drinking on Friday night and pretty much continued until late Sunday when the last of the stones passed.

Every once in a while I get another one or two. They are painful!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I was driving one day and heard one of the commercials for the shingles vaccine on the radio. Shrugged it off. Thought to myself "Ehhh... I know people who've had it. A little rash on my body. I can handle that if I ever got."

Not a week later and BOOM I get the most horrible full-blown case of shingles on my face ever. You don't want to see the pictures. Scary looking. lol Didn't even know that you could get it on your face. Still have a little bit of paralysis at the corner of my eye that drives me crazy sometimes.

Get the vaccine. I don't care what the short-term side effects are. You don't want a bad case of shingles on your face.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of you have my extreme empathy. I experienced shingles while still in my 30s, and while the itching and rash were horrible, they went away quickly enough. What killed me was the never-ending neuralgia that lasted for months afterwards. And don't get me started on kidney stones. (see below). The big one tore up things on the way out. The little one was his ugly brother, came out a few weeks later. This was last year.
View attachment 90169
So when I looked at your stones I had a shock go through my body, guess memories :) Bad ones that is...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kidney stones - 21 in one weekend in the 90's. My first experience with kidney stones happened on Friday and I didn't know what the cause of the pain was. Made an appointment with my primary who suggested it was kidney stones and would set up an appointment to blast them on Monday.

Well, I started drinking on Friday night and pretty much continued until late Sunday when the last of the stones passed.

Every once in a while I get another one or two. They are painful!
So I bow down, you are the King of Stones, wow 21, I am crawling back to my hole :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was driving one day and heard one of the commercials for the shingles vaccine on the radio. Shrugged it off. Thought to myself "Ehhh... I know people who've had it. A little rash on my body. I can handle that if I ever got."

Not a week later and BOOM I get the most horrible full-blown case of shingles on my face ever. You don't want to see the pictures. Scary looking. lol Didn't even know that you could get it on your face. Still have a little bit of paralysis at the corner of my eye that drives me crazy sometimes.

Get the vaccine. I don't care what the short-term side effects are. You don't want a bad case of shingles on your face.
You have my luck...I just hope after looking at VorlonForg's stones I didn't jinx myself :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I am presently in recovery too. Just had Surgery Tuesday, torn meniscus repair on my knee. All went well, can't swim for two weeks, will be getting rid of the compression socks Saturday. I am walking, short distances now, using the crutches less today. Will have two weeks of Physical Therapy, was told all should be good a month from now...Little nervous, our 15 year old grandson will be mowing our yard during this time. Something tells me sprinkler head repairs are in my future LOL
No, that's the time to teach him how to repair them. ;)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get the vaccine, my dad had shingles on his face, neck and shoulder. Twice it got in his eye, and had to be treated. He had severe pain for about 6 months on his forehead and side of his face, to the point he couldn't sleep much. A year later, he still couldn't stand a sheet touching the side of his face, it hurt.

We've both had the old Zostavax vaccine, we are due to get the latest as soon as the time is far enough away from the covid vaccine.

Zostavax was supposedly 51% effective, the two dose shot is supposed to be 90%ish effective.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My grandmother had shingles on her face. Not only was it extremely painful, it looked like somebody took a blow torch to her face. Nerve damage and pain that lasted for almost a year.

My understanding is the older one gets, the greater the chance of getting shingles.

I need to get the vaccine so thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You passed a stone the size of a 9mm? Holy hell...I am sorry.
Yeah, but it may have either dissolved a little or broken up into smaller frags before I passed it. The sizes are based on measurements on CT scans. The .45 size was called surgery because they put you under for the procedure, but it was sonic blasting rather than cutting.

The pain one gets that makes you notice it is that they block urine from exiting the kidney and that is what hurts. Sometimes lemonade or cranberry juice can help reduce the size.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I got the first Shingrix shot in Feb 2020 and was scheduled for my second one in May. First one I had a goose egg at injection site that hurt for a week, and it was the side I sleep on so it was painful and inconvenient. No other side effects from first shot. I put off the second one less due to "don't want to go to doctor office during covid" than "damn, I don't want my arm to hurt like that again." Second shot gave me minor arm pain for two days (I had them do it on the other arm, that I don't sleep on), but on day 3 I was wiped out tired/achy and so forth. Took a half day off work. But not fever like reported in this thread. I know plenty of people who had shingles and I'd rather a vax reaction than go through that. I take acyclovir daily due to internal canker sores I've gotten since I was a kid that are viral; if I take the acyclovir I don't get the sores. If I stop for a week, I get nasty cankers (So, I don't stop any more to see if I still need the pills... I do!). Anyway, I figure I'm riddled with related viruses and I could use all the protection I can get.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Need help!!! My wife and I decided we want to get a Shingles Shot.

She had a mild case of Shingles a few years back and was told if it returned it should not be worse than what she had. I just turned 60 and figured it would be a good time to get the shot. Both of us have had Chickenpox in our youth.

The Zostavax (zoster vaccine live) is no longer available and now they give the Shingrix shot (In two doses, 2-6 months apart). Our concern is this new mRNA Technology that looks like will be in future Flu shots and possible in this new Shingles Shot. Since it is now known that the Covid mRNA Shot does alter DNA, would this be true with this new Shingrix shot?

GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) makes Shingrix. I am trying to find out if Shingrix use mRNA Tech.

I see Pfizer is trying to compete in the Shingles Shot industry, this Jan. 2022 article claims they will develop the first mRNA-based shingles vaccine.

1653070017787.png
We appreciate any help with this...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I had shingles twice and got the shots. In terms of reactions the only thing I had/have is residual pain in the arm from where the riveter gave me the shot, he sure wasn't a technician, nurse, pharmacist or physician. I think he actually hit the bone in my upper arm. Neither bout of shingles was particularly bad and the second was quite mild. First one in my 30's and the second in my 60's. Got the shots when I was 65, about eight years ago.