R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

smcconnery

n3wb
Reaction score
I will see about getting a 12 volt power supply and disable the Window as well as Norton firewall and let you know the results. Thanks again.
You were correct in suggesting I use a 12 Volt power supply. I was able to complete all the steps in the process including uploading the new firmware 5.4.5. I can now see the camera using the SADP tool and change the ip address using password 12345. The issue I now have is that I cannot access the camera with the GUI and will the camera ip address reverts back to the original 192.0.0.64 ever time the camera powers down and then back up. The only steps in the process that I am not sure I completed correctly is the modification of the mtd6ro_mod file using the hex editor. I am not sure the changes I made were correct. I am attaching the BAK and modified files for your review if that is ok! I have renamed the files with a ".txt " so the forum would accept them. Again, many thanks for all your help.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was able to complete all the steps in the process including uploading the new firmware 5.4.5
Well done for (almost) getting there!
The transcript looks OK, no problems there.

I am attaching the BAK and modified files for your review if that is ok!
Only the backup file is attached.

The mtd6ro_mod_bak is invalid - the checksum is incorrect. But the language byte is correct for EN as opposed to CN.
But this is likely to be a backup copy of the original, created by HxD, your modded version may therefore be different.

The camera will be rebooting into recovery mode.
If so, telnet will still be available, however :
It will be easiest to just re-run the brickfixV2 process, as the replacement of the mtd6 flash partition is blocked on the new firmware.
Just use the fixed up version for the mtd6ro_mod renamed accordingly.
Good luck!

Attached is a fixed up version.

Attachments

smcconnery

n3wb
Reaction score

The mtd6ro_mod_bak is invalid - the checksum is incorrect. But the language byte is correct for EN as opposed to CN.
But this is likely to be a backup copy of the original, created by HxD, your modded version may therefore be different.

It will be easiest to just re-run the brickfixV2 process, as the replacement of the mtd6 flash partition is blocked on the new firmware.
Good luck!

This is the file I uploaded

Good luck!

Alastair, once again, many thanks. I looked at the file you sent me and the FF in location 0x64 does not seem to match with my camera type (1498 - DS-2CD2532F-IS) should I change this before proceeding? I am attaching the mtd6ro_mod file I ment to send before and it is what I uploaded.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Oops .. I was in a rush to get out and forgot to check that devtype value, sorry.
I'll be back tonight, I'll take a look.
You've probably spotted why the camera isn't happy.

smcconnery

n3wb
Reaction score
Oops .. I was in a rush to get out and forgot to check that devtype value, sorry.
I'll be back tonight, I'll take a look.
You've probably spotted why the camera isn't happy.
Alaister, All is good. I have it working. I think the issue was with a bad firmware. Downloaded and installed a fresh version and it works fine. Thanks again. You saved the camera from the landfill!

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Successfully updated 2x DS-2CD2332-I and 1x DS-2CD2532F-IS cams from China/English hacked v5.2.0 to 5.4.5 English. All 3 cams had no issue doing the update in one shot. I've had these cams for 6yrs and finally updated them haha. Thanks so much Alastair!

LGSONE

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, for 3 years I just dealt with the chinese on my cameras and not being able to really do anything with them. This post and files fixed them and my Xeoma is loving the update. Thank you OP.

LGSONE

vksy

n3wb
Reaction score
Many thanks to the OP for this very helpful thread.

I updated 8x DS-2CD2032-I cameras but made the lazy mistake of reusing the same mtd6_mod for each one. Murphy's law also made sure that all extracted files were permanently deleted. Per this post, the MAC address can be changed which is great news. However, I would like to go a step further in replicating the serial number and MAC address from the OEM label. Can someone provide a link or instructions for doing so?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
made the lazy mistake of reusing the same mtd6_mod for each one.
Oops ..
You are not the first to do that!

Can someone provide a link or instructions for doing so?
The MAC address is straightforward - but I'm not sure about the actual format of the serial number, it's not something I've examined.
Be sure to make the needed changes to the checksum bytes.

Code:
0x35-0x3A MAC address
0x41-0x51 Serial number / date of manufacturer code

vksy

n3wb
Reaction score
Mission complete.

In Windows 10 Pro, dealing with the serial is easy, but changing the MAC address can be tricky. I was lucky only 50% of the time. Tweaking just one digit such as B to C or 7 to 6 caused conflicts which resulted in duplicate camera entries in SADP. One contained the modified address while the other was auto assigned. After wasting time playing with different MAC values, I decided to just simply use the OS generated address, and it worked.

Pick whatever value when changing the MAC address. If Windows accepts, great. If not, use the auto generated address value. At worst, you'll need to run brickfix twice.

Dreamscape

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, not sure if this is an appropriate question for this thread but it's very close to on Topic! :) Apologies if not. I have a DS-2CD2032-I that has not been connected in quite some time. It's actually NEVER been connected. I am unsure as to what firmware is currently on it, I am working on procuring a PoE switch so I can plug it in. What would be the best steps to try to get it updated? Is this still a supported/safe/decent quality camera to use? Thank you for your help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am unsure as to what firmware is currently on it
When you get your switch, or power the camera from 12v, SADP will give valuable information.
You can see the current firmware version.
The newest version available is 5.4.41
Versions at or below 5.4.0 have serious security vulnerabilities.

But beware - if it's a Chinese camera, a firmware update could 'brick' it.
Check the serial number.
If is has 'CCCH' in it - it's definitely Chinese.
If it has 'CCWR' it's probably OK to update.

Presumably it has very old firmware.
This will require updating through the major versions and not skipping to the newest.
Check out these firmware resources for that camera :

Dreamscape

n3wb
Reaction score
When you get your switch, or power the camera from 12v, SADP will give valuable information.
You can see the current firmware version.
The newest version available is 5.4.41
Versions at or below 5.4.0 have serious security vulnerabilities.

But beware - if it's a Chinese camera, a firmware update could 'brick' it.
Check the serial number.
If is has 'CCCH' in it - it's definitely Chinese.
If it has 'CCWR' it's probably OK to update.

Presumably it has very old firmware.
This will require updating through the major versions and not skipping to the newest.
Check out these firmware resources for that camera :

Thanks for the reply. These are older cams, fairly sure I got them via AliExpress and I believe they may be the Chinese version Although I do not see either of those serial number configurations...is it okay if I post a picture of the sticker on the camera? Does that contain any info I shouldn't be publishing? Haha

Thanks!

Ventilo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I'm neew on this forum.

I have two camera Hickvision

DS-2CD2032-I Software v5.2.0 build 140721 DS-2CD2032-I xxxxxxxx CCCH xxxxxxxxxx
DS-2CD2132-I Software v5.2.0 build 140721DS-2CD2132-I xxxxxxxx CCCH xxxxxxxxxx

For the first, sometime i need to make a factory reset (1x/year), because it's not web accessible, passoword is lost, IP is changed, I do this with the reset buton.

The second worked perfectly during 3 year and now it's brick (i don't know why) I need to reset but I don't have a switch...

I don't know if this topic is up to date and i'm not sure to find the good files, firmware,...

Can you give me the rules, procedure?

Many thanks

Sorry for my bad English :p

PS: Edit, I found the file attachment now because i m logged, I try,...

PS: Edit 2! Sorry, i followed the thread and step by step now i can use my cam BIGGGG THANKS FOR This!!!

Godd Job

Last edited: