R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

fone

n3wb
Reaction score
TY - Alastair.
I have a DS-2CD2432F-IW which i had purchased from Alibaba and applied the english firmware to a few years ago.
Recently I had upgraded to US Firmware IPC - DS-2xx2_5.4.5_170123.
The result was a Language Mismatch when trying to visit the WEB GUI, but surprisingly the camera retained all its settings and I was at least able to view the camera using the EZViz phone app.
This of course wasn't good enough, so I attempted your fix.
I am glad to say it was a success and I was able to flash 5.4.5 directly.
A couple notes regarding the instructions.
I had at first downloaded the 64bit 4.60 version of Jounin TFTP server since I am running a 64bit version of Windows.
For whatever reason I could not get it work and kept getting errors on Stage 1.
After installing and running the 32bit 4.52 version I had zero issues.
Also, it might be good to list the SADP tool in the resource_list.txt file. I had forgotten all about this tool so was a little confused when you mentioned in the step by step.
Those were the only 2 very minor steps that gave me pause, overall the process worked out exactly as described.
Thank You

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad to say it was a success and I was able to flash 5.4.5 directly.
Well done!
Those were the only 2 very minor steps that gave me pause, overall the process worked out exactly as described.
Many thanks for the helpful and constructive feedback - I have amended the resource list as per your suggestions.
I've never tried the 64bit version of Jouinin's tftp etc tool, so was unaware that it would be problematic.
And yes, SADP is a must for the Hikvision toolbox, simple but useful.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If they are R6 series then does that mean that I can't follow any of the birckfixv2 hack either?
Yes, that's correct. The 'hardware signature' in the R0 series (DS-2CD2x32) is held in flash memory and can be modified without changing the firmware.
The 'hardware signature' in an R6 camera (DS-2CD2x42) is held in a separate, secured chip, so the firmware would need to be modified to masquerade the data read from the chip.

digiblur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to check before you upgrade some cameras to see if they will have this language mismatch issue? Or should you just try to upgrade the cameras and if you have the issue then come back and fix them?

In other words, is it better to check something then fix them before you upgrade type thing.... Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to check before you upgrade some cameras to see if they will have this language mismatch issue
The usual indication is the existence of 'CCCH' in the serial number.
Another thing to check is the value of the 'language byte' at location 0x10 (16 decimal) in mtdblock6.
If =02 then definitely Chinese.

shark1987

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! Just updated all 3 of my cameras. I inherited these cameras when I bought the home and this is my first time fixing these after I tried upgrading to the latest firmware and bricked 2/3. I went ahead and ran these steps on the 3rd just to confirm it was as it was supposed to be.

After following these steps, should I be able to upgrade using the downloads from the US Website directly in the Web GUI?

shark1987

n3wb
Reaction score
Well done!

For the Stage 3 part of the fixup process - you can go direct to the 5.4.5 firmware, such as from here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
I meant more like, can I use the Web UI for future updates later on? Or will I still need to worry about "bricking" them when performing the update. Either way, I will probably check back on this forum before updating but thought I would ask now anyways.

ars2210

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. I had an old 2032 I bought off of amazon thinking it would be the american version. I didn't upgrade for a long time because I was afraid i might brick it if it were Chinese. Well I tried to do the direct update through the web gui, and sure enough bricked it. Thanks so much for getting me back up and running.

Only hold up I had was trying to figure out the "enhanced mtd hack". Of course I was tying to do this in the early hours of the morning and somehow missed the very good description in the enhanced mtd hack .txt doc. Somehow I got it working anyway, but man that would have saved me some time had I read it when I was trying to do so. Took probably 2.5 hours and did so through wireless connection only. I know directions say not to and wired is obviously always better, but only had a surface pro with no wired connection to work with at that time and had no issues. If anybody else has to do the same just make sure you have all your files downloaded before you start the process...it will go a lot faster. Anyway, THANKS again!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Only hold up I had was trying to figure out the "enhanced mtd hack".
It sounds like you did pretty well if you didn't read the text instructions. Or watch the (fairly recent, and my first, YouTube) video. Kudos!
Thanks so much for getting me back up and running.
It's great to be able to help. Thanks for sharing your experience.

ars2210

n3wb
Reaction score
The video saved me, but the text filled in all the areas I was struggling with watching only the video.

bromz

n3wb
Reaction score
As mentioned in my other post.
Just a confirmation about model DS-2CD3332-I.
devtype in hex is 9808 for 5.2.0 and 5.2.5

nutt318

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank You! @alastairstevenson Just upgraded 6 of my old DS-2CD2032-I and the process worked great.

However now I also have 4 - DS-2CD2032F-I and when trying to load the brickfixv2 firmware I never get the 'System Update Completed' I just hangs on Completed File and never moves to 'System Update Completed'

Any ideas?

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Just upgraded 6 of my old DS-2CD2032-I and the process worked great.
Good so far!
However now I also have 4 - DS-2CD2032F-I and when trying to load the brickfixv2 firmware I never get the 'System Update Completed' I just hangs on Completed File and never moves to 'System Update Completed'
Try the other language variant of the brick-fix tool - it could just be a language mismatch.

falcon42

n3wb
Reaction score
I successfully updated 1 2432 cube cam from 5.2.0 straight to 5.4.5. To successfully complete the process from stage 1 to 3 I had to deactivate the Windows 10 firewall.
Thanks very much Alastair.
Happy New Year to all of you, God bless you.