R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

j4c3

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this over PoE or the external power? Either way, maybe worth trying a (different) 12v DC power adapter. It doesn't sound related to firmware tweaks.
I had it connected to an wall adapter. But, no good over PoE at this point either.

But, the lens and ir half should still be good, if anyone needs parts.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a cp2102 usb to ttl, and a connector that fits JP1. I'll just need to crimp some connectors on the other end.
Did you get as far as seeing what the serial console is saying?
But, the lens and ir half should still be good, if anyone needs parts.
If it does get to that point, and you haven't taken a peek at the serial console - I'd be interested in taking a look at it to see if the cause of the failure can be determined.
WTB - Bricked Hikvision IP cameras. Or even NVRs.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If anyone has a chance to run a video on the process of updating firmware by the instructionsalastairstevensonhas given it would be very helpful. Also could create a snap image instruction outlining steps as well.
I have all the ingredients ready for this update and have done firmware updates in the past, but would feel more confident with a visual instruction of the process for the average home security user. :)

JayZee

n3wb
Reaction score
If anyone has a chance to run a video on the process of updating firmware by the instructionsalastairstevensonhas given it would be very helpful. Also could create a snap image instruction outlining steps as well.
I have all the ingredients ready for this update and have done firmware updates in the past, but would feel more confident with a visual instruction of the process for the average home security user. :)
I was thinking the exact same thing! Alastair has done a Marvelous job of achieving this feat but the whole process is really quite the challenge to read and understand given the number of tools, files, commands etc. Perhaps if someone who has wrapped their head around it is able to demo it on video and upload to YouTube then it would be of immense use to people who just find it quite hard (like ourselves :) ) a picture is a thousand words and a video a million! :)

kheiney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I successfully updated 7 2032 bullet cams straight to 5.4.5 :)
However I have one that I tried to upgrade the firmware a year ago and it reverted to CN and the web gui didn't really work. But I could still connect to the stream and use it. That camera completed the brick fix upload but I'm not able to connect with Putty (no response) Need to play with that one some more.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps if someone who has wrapped their head around it is able to demo it on video and upload to YouTube then it would be of immense use to people who just find it quite hard (like ourselves :) ) a picture is a thousand words and a video a million!
@JayZee I have recorded a video transcript of a sample run of brickfixV2 including the 'enhanced mtd hack' and added the YouTube link to the first post in this thread. Let me know if that works - it's my first such attempt.
Hopefully that will help make the steps clearer.

JayZee

n3wb
Reaction score
@JayZee I have recorded a video transcript of a sample run of brickfixV2 including the 'enhanced mtd hack' and added the YouTube link to the first post in this thread. Let me know if that works - it's my first such attempt.
Hopefully that will help make the steps clearer.
Thanks fantastic Alastair, thanks so much but the video seems to have been removed? It says "video unavailable".

Did youtube take it down or is there some Geo-restriction going on or are your settings having the video as private?

quisvir

n3wb
Reaction score
Wonderful work, @alastairstevenson! I have succesfully converted 8 2132's to proper EN up to date firmware using your method. Is there any way I can buy you a beer or two?

I have one other camera, a 2135F-IS (v5.3.3 150514) that I was sent by a Chinese seller when I had in fact ordered another 2132... would it be possible to use a similar method to update the firmware? The current version has severe bugs, making (re)configuring SMB settings absolute hell. If I can't convert/update it, I will have to replace it for maintainability.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have succesfully converted 8 2132's to proper EN up to date firmware using your method.
That's pretty good, well done.
Did you have to use the video worked example - or were the instructions OK?
would it be possible to use a similar method to update the firmware?
Not for that model - it has a different internal architecture - the hardware signature is not held in the flash memory.
On the assumption it's a China region model, it would need modded firmware to ignore it's China origin and operate as English.
Is there any way I can buy you a beer or two?
You already have, virtually.

quisvir

n3wb
Reaction score
That's pretty good, well done.
Did you have to use the video worked example - or were the instructions OK?
The instructions were enough for me (I updated before you made the video). In each case I went from 5.2.0 or 5.2.5 (iirc) straight to 5.4.5 without issue btw.

Not for that model - it has a different internal architecture - the hardware signature is not held in the flash memory.
On the assumption it's a China region model, it would need modded firmware to ignore it's China origin and operate as English.
That's too bad - but at least now I know it's not something I can fix (the seller did not respond to my request for an updated fw). Thanks for the info!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but at least now I know it's not something I can fix
I have a DS-2CD3335-D which just wouldn't take any firmware at all by any method - I think it came with modded firmware with a tweak to disable updating.
I ended up accidentally erasing the app areas of the flash - which was the best thing that could have happened to it as I was able to fairly easily manually reconstruct it.
It's been installed and in service since, and I don't want to mess with it, but I suspect your 2135 could be handled in a similar way.
Just for interest - see the posts here : Long-shot help request - Hikvision DS-2CD3335D - G0 series IPC.

quisvir

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD3335-D which just wouldn't take any firmware at all by any method - I think it came with modded firmware with a tweak to disable updating.
I ended up accidentally erasing the app areas of the flash - which was the best thing that could have happened to it as I was able to fairly easily manually reconstruct it.
It's been installed and in service since, and I don't want to mess with it, but I suspect your 2135 could be handled in a similar way.
Just for interest - see the posts here : Long-shot help request - Hikvision DS-2CD3335D - G0 series IPC.
Haha wow, that looks like a whole new project! I definitely want to try it now, although it's a bit beyond my level. I do have a TTL->USB converter lying around somewhere - used to unbrick a router - so I've followed similar steps before. However, I don't run Linux.. could you provide me with an unpacked 5.4.41 fw like you used (should be the same for my 2135), and help me out with the commands you used towards the end of the process? If the answer is 'yes', I'll do the rest via PM since it's somewhat offtopic here.

JayZee

n3wb
Reaction score
I am about to upgrade some Chinese (with hacked English firmware) 2CD3345 cameras but noticed that they are not on the list of cameras in the mtdhack. Are these R0 (whatever that means) cameras that can be flashed and if so what would I do as far as the mtdhack given the mode isn't listed in the instructions?

Thanks Alastair and all the other helpful posters from bringing back these cameras from the dead!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
2CD3345 cameras but noticed that they are not on the list of cameras in the mtdhack.
These are R6 series cameras - the 'mtd hack' does not apply to these, they are architectured differently from R0 series, not the same hardware.

JayZee

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Alastair. If they are R6 series then does that mean that I can't follow any of the birckfixv2 hack either? Can they be converted to full English upgradeable firmware? Sorry I didn't quite understand it from your post.