question:Updating WW region cameras and RR region NVR

i6jm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I have two cameras that were bought from the Middle East.
In the serial number there is a letter WW, which means that it is a Worldwide region according to my research in the forum

DS-2CD2T87G2-L (C) letter (C) is written on box label
Firmware Version:V5.5.800 build 210628
Firmware Version Property:B-R-G5-0
-------------
DS-2CD2683G2-IZS
Firmware Version:V5.7.1 build 211009
Firmware Version Property:B-R-G5-0
-------------
Firmware contains many languages
(Factory update) I have never updated

Now, do I download update from Hikvision Middle East website and it will work fine, or do I download it from Hikvision global website?

Is there a risk in moving from version 5.5.800 for 2CD2683G2-IZS and 5.7.1 for DS-2CD2T87G2-L to the latest version? or do I have to install the older updates successively until get to the latest update? updates that came immediately after update 5.5.800 and 5.7.1 I did not find them on Hikvision Middle East or Global website only the latest update I found is 5.7.10 I think, While I found old updates Until the latest update in European Hikvision Portal.

also i have NVR bought from Middle East
DS-7608NXI-I2 / 8P/S (C) ،letter (C) is written on box label
(RR) region
V4.60.105 build 220118
Firmware contains many languages
(Factory update) I have never updated

I don't know where to update it.
I want to update it to the latest update because the last update has resolved the green color when watching main Stream from the Hik-connect with HD quality if you enable Encryption Stream

I don't care much about language package, the most important is the presence of English language and the appropriate update.
@alastairstevenson

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a risk in moving from version 5.5.800 for 2CD2683G2-IZS and 5.7.1 for DS-2CD2T87G2-L to the latest version?
Not a guarantee - but I think the chances of the cameras being Chinese region running 'hacked to English' firmware are slight these days.
The firmware is much better tamper protected than it was a few years ago.
And the 'Firmware Version Property' is a helpful indicator of what series is valid for the camera.
With the variation of internal hardware (the '(C)' suffix) there is even more update version validation in the newer firmware.
An additional check, though not foolproof, is to enable SSH, log in with
ssh admin@<camera_IP_address>
and check the Language = value from the 'prtHardInfo' command. 1=English

Although they generally lack detail, the changelogs across the ranges you've quoted do have some useful fixes.
The relatively new 'Security Audit Log' is quite chatty, and is stored on the internal flash, so it could easily stress the flash write lifecycle if the camera is subject to frequent admin events.

On version updates, I've felt it was safe enough to skip minor versions (the last number) but not skip the major versions.

i6jm

n3wb
Reaction score
Not a guarantee - but I think the chances of the cameras being Chinese region running 'hacked to English' firmware are slight these days.
The firmware is much better tamper protected than it was a few years ago.
And the 'Firmware Version Property' is a helpful indicator of what series is valid for the camera.
With the variation of internal hardware (the '(C)' suffix) there is even more update version validation in the newer firmware.
An additional check, though not foolproof, is to enable SSH, log in with
ssh admin@<camera_IP_address>
and check the Language = value from the 'prtHardInfo' command. 1=English

Although they generally lack detail, the changelogs across the ranges you've quoted do have some useful fixes.
The relatively new 'Security Audit Log' is quite chatty, and is stored on the internal flash, so it could easily stress the flash write lifecycle if the camera is subject to frequent admin events.

On version updates, I've felt it was safe enough to skip minor versions (the last number) but not skip the major versions.
So, for DS-2CD2683G2-IZS, i update it from 5.7.1 to the latest update version directly 5.7.10_220830?

And DS-2CD2T87G2-L , should I upgrade from version 5.5.800 to update version 5.7.1 first and then to the latest version 5.7.10?

and DS-7608NXI-I2 / 8P/S Update directly from V4.60.105 build 220118 to Firmware_V4.61.066_220920 Latest update version?

Is there a problem if I download the update from European portal?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've not used that particular model of NVR, so any comment would not be from experience.
But I'd certainly feel confident to try firmware from the EU portal as an update candidate.

i6jm

n3wb
Reaction score
I've not used that particular model of NVR, so any comment would not be from experience.
But I'd certainly feel confident to try firmware from the EU portal as an update candidate.
So, for DS-2CD2683G2-IZS, i update it from 5.7.1 to the latest update version directly 5.7.10_220830?

And DS-2CD2T87G2-L , should I upgrade from version 5.5.800 to update version 5.7.1 first and then to the latest version 5.7.10?

Is it the ideal method in your opinion, or is it directly updated to the latest version for DS-2CD2T87G2-L¿

I also contacted technical support for the Middle East, they told me to update the camera directly to the latest update

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's pretty quick to do the updates, so going through the major versions and skipping minor versions is the approach I typically use.

i6jm

n3wb
Reaction score
It's pretty quick to do the updates, so going through the major versions and skipping minor versions is the approach I typically use.
major versions
you mean first number?
Example: X.0.0
or middle number
example: 0.X.0

I sincerely apologize for the many questions. I am newb to the field of security cameras

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The major version as far as I know is considered to be both the left and middle number, the minor one being the right hand number.
What's being avoided by not doing too big big a jump is for example when some data conversion, such as a configuration database structure, changes, and a given newer firmware isn't equipped with a conversion process for the much older structure.