Question for NVR Manufacturers?

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Question & Suggestion to NVR manufacturers: Why don't NVRs have a special NIC Ethernet port that allows you to access the cameras web interface directly? For example, it would be nice if my HikVision DS-7608NI-I2/8P had:
  • 8 POE camera ports;
  • 1 LAN Ethernet port; and
  • 1 NIC Ethernet port.
This would sure make it a lot easier to login to my cameras connected to the NVR to fine tune configurations not available through the NVR's GUI.

Right now I must unplug a camera then use that POE port to connect my computer to access the remaining cameras via its internal NIC addresses. This is pain-in-the-you-know-what! Especially if your NVR is not easily accessible.

EDIT: See @fenderman and @alastairstevenson virtual host solution to this below.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With newer hikvision nvr's/firmware this can be done with virtual host.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm ... I'll have to look into and learn about virtual hosts.
Just enable it via the tickbox under (web GUI) Network | Advanced Settings | Other and use the hyperlinks in the Connect right hand column of System | Camera Management.
And if you have Virtual Host enabled you can also access the PoE-connected cameras directly from the LAN at their native addresses, after you add a suitable static route to your router/gateway.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just enable it via the tickbox under (web GUI) Network | Advanced Settings | Other and use the hyperlinks in the Connect right hand column of System | Camera Management.
And if you have Virtual Host enabled you can also access the PoE-connected cameras directly from the LAN at their native addresses, after you add a suitable static route to your router/gateway.
Thanks a bunch @alastairstevenson!!! I just tried it and it worked perfectly. Using my NVR's static route also worked. No more hacking the NVR and laptop to access my cameras.

And thanks to @fenderman for the initial lead to this solution.

Last edited: