PTZ Cameras lagging behind Drone-Tech (A General Question)

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey folks...this seemed like the best place to ask this question.

I am an avid Blue Iris User and have purchased dozens of cameras from lots of manufacturers. I currently have 26 cameras running with varying sizes and capabilities.

My one big beef is with how big and bulky the "Quality" PTZ cameras are these days. Even the "Mini-PTZ's" are still quite large in size and the full size ones are monsters.

Which leads me to my question....at first I thought this was an optics issue. As in, you need a large body to house a good quality zoom lens, plus the motors to handle the Panning and Tilting. But then, I saw this:

It's a drone with a 4K 18X Optical Zoom mounted on a Gimbal and attached to a Drone. The video quality is quite nice and the zoom capability is damned impressive. So clearly, the tech exists to have all of this capability in a very tiny, low-power, form factor. So why are we still dealing with these humongous cameras? I get the fact that they need to run continuous and be weatherproof, however, that all seems like an engineering problem.

Anyway....I just continue to hope that at some point, we will be able to have very small and capable PTZ's that can essentially disappear into the background and still provide quality surveillance features.

Thoughts or input is greatly appreciated!

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You bring up a really good question. Even if we remove the outdoor requirement, the indoor PTZ offerings are still huge and and have optics that can't compare to what we are seeing mounted to these quadcopters.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey!!! Someone actually responded....wow! :rofl:

Totally agree nathan, I've been researching even more since I posted this and still come up with few answers. I've been looking at a Hikvision 4K camera like this one:

Amazon.com: Hikvision DS-2DF8836IV-AELW Day/Night Outdoor PTZ Dome Camera, 4K, 30FPS, 36X Optical Zoom, Smart Tracking, IR to 200M, IP66, Heater, Wiper, POE+/24VAC: Industrial & Scientific

Yes, it's 36x zoom....but at 4K the price of $3502 seems crazy high and the thing is HUGE! I watched an unboxing video of this and its big even for standard PTZ cameras.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.