***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait, youre losing me and I think you're password obsessed ;)

You say
I have changed the NVR password to a much stronger password.
SO are the cameras still working and viewable from the NVR? If so, no need to change anything else

Then you say
I now need to change the NVR camera password from its admin factory default.
Cameras store their own passwords. On initial startup, plugging into a NVR, they will all adopt the same password as the NVR

Camera-> Camera list -> Change Camera Log in password or Edit Pencil (see pic 1070720)
This simply tells the NVR what the camera is using for its password. You can't change a password from there. You simply tell the NVR "The password to this camera is this ___" So it knows how to communicate with them.

If the cameras passwords havent changed, they should still be working after the NVR password change, and the credentials in the pencil icon popup are still correct.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you Big Red for the information and I tried the recommendation of factory default.

Unfortunately on my Dahau NVR2104HS-P-12 as the admin password was corrupted the NVR failed to let me proceed. I still could only access the NVR via the pattern.

As I had exhausted all methods to get the NVR working via the factory password I contacted the supplier in the UK. Even though the NVR was under warranty they recommended me to do a physical hard reset by removing the case cover.

So if this helps others (only do so totally at your own risk) the following it what I did:
  • Unplug NVR from power.
  • Remove all cameras from POE sockets.
  • Remove top cover of NVR.
  • Press and hold button (at end of yellow pencil, as shown in pic 1070700) for 15 sec. Then after this time still keeping the button held down, power up the NVR. Wait until you hear a beep and keep holding button down for a further 15-30 seconds, then let go of the button and unplug the power from the NVR.
  • Wait for a further 15 seconds and only then apply the power to the NVR.
After doing this, I was able to go through original install steps with just the mouse and monitor plugged into the NVR. All was then OK. I was then able to log in with the factory admin password instead of only just being able to log in only using the factory pattern.

After that I plugged in the POE cameras and got no pictures on the NVR. So did hard resets on the tiny switch in the cameras (as pic 1070690) whilst they were still connected to the NVR. Then unplugged the cameras from the POE sockets. I then plugged them back into the POE sockets individually. Only after I got a picture on the first camera did I plug in the next camera, then waited. All worked fine.

As I hadn’t found IPCT website and “the IPCT knowledge” before I did the initial install I suspect the following for the failing:

1/ Using a keyboard with the NVR instead of a mouse.
2/ Enabling P2P in the setup.
3/ Expecting everything to move as quick as a Win PC...

I can now also use the web GUI using IE and Pale Moon and SmartPSS.

Thanks for the advice the Dahua NVR and cameras now work as they should :)

I have changed the NVR password to a much stronger password. I now need to change the NVR camera password from its admin factory default.

On the NVR Account page in ONVIF user it shows you can change the password (see pic 1070719). Is this the best procedure to change the camera password from the factory default.

Then in NVR go to Camera-> Camera list -> Change Camera Log in password or Edit Pencil (see pic 1070720) for both cameras with the new password. Not sure which option should be implemented.

Then go into each camera web GUI (see pic 1070724)-> amend the camera passwords to the revised password.

I have read the read PSA for those with new Dahua NVR doc but would like some guidance on above so I can change the password and still access my camera video feeds.

As per VPN for Noobs doc I have changed to a VPN router using OpenVPN. Certainly intend keeping the cameras offline as advised. But wonder how to access the CCTV cameras via the VPN when travelling, rather than use P2P.

Thank you all for your assistance.

View attachment 156486View attachment 156487View attachment 156488View attachment 156489View attachment 156491
You should only be viewing the cameras via the NVR when away from home and using the VPN.

riverhigh

n3wb
Reaction score
Wait, youre losing me and I think you're password obsessed ;)

You say
I have changed the NVR password to a much stronger password.
SO are the cameras still working and viewable from the NVR? If so, no need to change anything else

Then you say
I now need to change the NVR camera password from its admin factory default.
Cameras store their own passwords. On initial startup, plugging into a NVR, they will all adopt the same password as the NVR

Camera-> Camera list -> Change Camera Log in password or Edit Pencil (see pic 1070720)
This simply tells the NVR what the camera is using for its password. You can't change a password from there. You simply tell the NVR "The password to this camera is this ___" So it knows how to communicate with them.

If the cameras passwords havent changed, they should still be working after the NVR password change, and the credentials in the pencil icon popup are still correct.
Yes I sure have had some fantastic fun with passwords on my NVR ;)

Yes I do get good viewable video feeds of my cameras on the NVR, Web GUI and SmartPSS so that is all OK.

However I understood you should have strong passwords for both the NVR and another different strong password for the cameras.

So I have changed the NVR password from its factory default to a strong password. But when I log in to the cameras through the web GUI I use exactly the same password as the NVR original factory default and I can see the cameras video feeds OK. So doesn't this imply the modified NVR password hasn't changed the camera password ?

Is the recommendation that as long as you have a strong password for the NVR, the POE cameras on the NVR with the original factory password hopefully won't get hacked. Or should the camera password be changed and what is the best method to to this.

Thank you

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The cameras will (assuming new or defaulted) assume the same password as the NVR on initial connection to the PoE ports.

If you change the NVR password, the cameras will stay with their initial password. Changing the NVR pass has no effect on the cameras password. Once they have a pass, it can’t be changed without logging into the camera (or maybe using the Dahua config tool)

The cameras that are using the NVR PoE switch can’t be reached from outside your network. Even if you were port forwarding and someone cracked the NVR pass, they still can’t get to the cameras as the NVR recognizes the attempt is from an external IP and won’t open the camera GUI even using the blue IE button.

So no, I don’t see much benefit in having strong passwords on cameras using the NVR PoE switch

Reaction score
5- Click on the BLUE IE icon to open the individual cameras Web GUI to make changes to your camera settings, IVS, etc. The login for each new camera will default to Admin/your NVR password
The Login and Password for each camera will be identical and the same as your NVR. Dont F$@K with them!
*On initial login/setup for the cameras, DO NOT enable P2P in the popup that asks you this. Uncheck that along with Auto updates.

View attachment 58246
Bigredfish:

I was using the blue IE icon to log into my cameras as you suggested in your post, then one day while screwing around with installing certificates (to avoid the "Your connection is unsecure" message), I somehow accidentally disabled these blue IE icons. Now, no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get them enabled again. I've tried deleting the cameras and adding them again, unplugging them to see if they'd reset, and I've tried completely rebooting the system.

Any idea why these blue IE icons might be disabled? I've confirmed I've got the correct camera passwords (wrong password turns status red, correct password turns it back green), so that isn't the issue. What's really strange is how they all turned off at once even though I was only messing with camera #1.

Any help is much appreciated.

Reaction score
I turned on HTTPS on the web nvr web interface and for one of my cameras but now when I hit the blue IO button to configure it, I get a message
Please use https to access
I would have thought it would continue to connect through to the camera using the same session, but instead it drops down to HTTP.
Naturally, I cannot turn it off again because I can't get to the interface. I really don't want to open up the camera down to reset the hardware.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive never used https or installed certificates. Dont see much sense in it. Sorry

Can you just add https to the url when the window pops up?

And are you using an NVR with built in PoE ports and are the cameras plugged directly into them? If so, there is no need or benefit to setup the cameras themselves for https. Only the NVR

Reaction score
It's ok. I removed the ptz dome and hit reset. Took me an hour to re-do all the presets, tour, schedule, and IVS rules, but it's back to where it was when I started all this nonsense. Video system is on a private network anyway, so I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

Grunt Lux

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping for some help with my NVR down here in Australia.
I have a 4108HS-8P-4KS2 running v4.001.0000001.0 and am struggling to set it up on the net, thinking my router is the problem.

The router has dhcp enabled with an IP 124.169.1Ax.x and default gateway of 124.169.1Bx.1.

I can put either in as the default IP on the NVR but if I try assign a unique IP to the router I can’t get a connection (router IP has to be set to match).

Somehow I flunked it to set up the DMSS app on iPhone using p2p and DHCP set up on the router but now can’t for the life of me get this thing to go online.

Trying to exhaust all hardware options before I go to my ISP.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated, this is a pretty old post

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The router has dhcp enabled with an IP 124.169.xxx.x and default gateway of 124.169.xxx.x

I can put either in as the default IP on the NVR but if I try assign a unique IP to the router I can’t get a connection (router IP has to be set to match).

Somehow I flunked it to set up the DMSS app on iPhone using p2p and DHCP set up on the router but now can’t for the life of me get this thing to go online.

Unfortunately Im not a networking expert.
Typically I'm used to a router that IS the Gateway at say 192.168.1.1 and assigning IPs through DHCP to devices on its net as 192.168.1.2 -254
Out of the box the NVR will be assigned by itself to 192.168.1.108. You have to first get into it and change that to an IP on your LAN

Dont try to setup your NVR/networking through a phone. Log straight into the NVR and router through a browser on a computer on that network.. At first, turn off P2P it will just confuse things. Yiou have to get the NVR talking to your internal network first, then you can mess with DMSS and remote access/

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The router has dhcp enabled with an IP xxxxx and default gateway of xxxxx.
Ah.... are you sure that's your LAN (Local area network) IP address...?
and not your WAN (Wide area network) IP address, aka your public IP address?

1686626447241.png
(Edit: The map pin point is likely not correct. This is likely your ISPs exchange your address is connected to).

P2P stuff shouldn't need port forwarding or your public IP address.
Once you set the NVR to an IP address within your router's LAN range, P2P should establish itself.

P2P contacts Dahua's servers and they keep record of your public IP address.
When your phone wants to connect, it asks the P2P server to get the NVR to connect back to your phone. Which eliminates the need for portforwarding or setting a static Public IP address (most ISPs charge monthy for this).

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping for some help with my NVR down here in Australia.
I have a 4108HS-8P-4KS2 running v4.001.0000001.0 and am struggling to set it up on the net, thinking my router is the problem.

The router has dhcp enabled with an IP 124.169.xxx.x and default gateway of 124.169.xxx.x

My apologies. I read your question wrong, it was late. You are asking about connecting via WAN and I had it backwards.

@Mark_M is on the right track.

Last edited:

Grunt Lux

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah.... are you sure that's your LAN (Local area network) IP address...?
and not your WAN (Wide area network) IP address, aka your public IP address?

View attachment 165367
(Edit: The map pin point is likely not correct. This is likely your ISPs exchange your address is connected to).

P2P stuff shouldn't need port forwarding or your public IP address.
Once you set the NVR to an IP address within your router's LAN range, P2P should establish itself.

P2P contacts Dahua's servers and they keep record of your public IP address.
When your phone wants to connect, it asks the P2P server to get the NVR to connect back to your phone. Which eliminates the need for portforwarding or setting a static Public IP address (most ISPs charge monthy for this).
thanks everyone for the quick replies, I wasn’t expecting it!
I think it is a networking issue with my ISP.
I checked my settings for my router and it doesn’t appear I have a Vlan address, only WAN.

I checked out the above video and my IP is listed as 10.1.1.x which clashes with the NVR switch when I enter it as the default.

I’ll do some more digging.

Attachments

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the quick replies, I wasn’t expecting it!
I think it is a networking issue with my ISP.
I checked my settings for my router and it doesn’t appear I have a Vlan address, only WAN.

I checked out the above video and my IP is listed as 10.1.1.x which clashes with the NVR switch when I enter it as the default.

I’ll do some more digging.
Typically your home's LAN is:
192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254
or
192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254
Which has a subnet of 255.255.255.000

Dahua NVR's have chosen to use a LAN range of:
10.1.1.1 - 10.1.1.254
Which is a subnet of: 255.255.255.000

We'll do a typical example:
Home WAN (public IP): x.x.x.x ---> Router ---> Home LAN: 192.168.1.1 ---- > Dahua NVR -----> NVR's own LAN for cameras: 10.1.1.1

Your public IP address is what I could use to attempt to connect back to your network, DDOS you or listen specifically to your home's internet to track what you are doing (e.g. connected to online banking). It's a bad idea to post your public IP address on a forum!

Your router's LAN is your local IP addresses just for your home's devices. Many millions of routers in the world are on 192.168.1.1 because it's separated from the internet.
Dahua NVRs isolate your cameras from your home network on another LAN in the 10.1.1.x range.

With all this being said, setting your camera to a static IP address is not a good idea in the camera's settings.
It should be done through DHCP reservation on your router to prevent an IP address conflict from happening.

walkjp1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A lot of information here. I am just trying to find out how to set the NVR for Motion detection only. I am confused as to whether or not on do this on NVR or Cameras?