***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What operating system are you running on your laptop?
MS Windows 10, latest update on a laptop with core i7 10th gen CPU.

I also did a network reset via Settings/Network/Status but all that did was screw up my WIFI link between my laptop and the mobile broadband modem.
(Although I don't need/want the modem in order to use the NVR I'm now busy trying to sort that out. I can connect to my mobile phone hotspot via WIFI but not to the modem. I am able to use the modem by plugging in the ethernet cable between my laptop and the modem.)

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Update.... I took an old modem (no SIM card inserted so no internet access), connected the NVR to one of its LAN ports, connected the laptop to another of its LAN ports, disconnected my laptop's WIFI connection to my home modem, started Internet Explorer, entered the NVR's IP address in the URL bar and succeeded in getting the NVR's web interface. Then I shut down IE, opened SmartPSS and managed to access the NVR as well. So all is good - sort of.
It appears that one cannot simply connect the NVR and laptop via cable, it must go through a modem (or maybe a PoE switch?) to enable them to connect.
Now I've just got to learn about SmartPSS. Thanks to all for the replies to date.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
connected the NVR to one of its LAN ports, connected the laptop to another of its LAN ports, disconnected my laptop's WIFI connection to my home modem, started Internet Explorer, entered the NVR's IP address in the URL bar and succeeded in getting the NVR's web interface.
Presumably because the modem DHCP server is configuring the laptop IP address to be in the same range as the NVR.

It appears that one cannot simply connect the NVR and laptop via cable,
You can - but you'd need to manually configure the laptop IP address to be in the same range as that of the NVR, as advised.
With no DHCP server, the laptop will use the 'self-administered' address range of 169.254.x.x which is not the same as the fixed address of the NVR, making the NVR not accessible.

gregip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
but you'd need to manually configure the laptop IP address to be in the same range as that of the NVR, as advised.
Yes I did that, as advised. Twice, with slightly different IP addresses. Didn't work for me but I'm no expert either so I could have made a mistake somewhere.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got my NVR, camera's and POE switches today. I am in the process of hooking everything up and have a few questions. (For starters I am not tech savvy at all.) I am doing a bench test first prior to doing a hard install.

1. The NVR I have is the 5232-16P
2. Camera's are IPC-B5442E-ZE
3. POE Switch 1: BV Tech SW-502G
4. POE Switch2: BV Tech SW-801

I have a cable going directly from my router to the LAN port on the NVR

Currently I have a cable going from Port #9 on the NVR to the Uplink port on the first POE switch. From that switch I have two cameras, then I have a line going to a second POE switch with 4 camera's connected to it.

Currently on my NVR I am only seeing the camera plugged in the the #1 port on the first POE switch. And that is in #9 on the NVR.

What am I doing wrong here? I did disable the P2P on initial setup. Should I plug the cable going to the first POE switch into one of the POE ports of the NVR?
049BFE88-3F68-4E92-996C-2F47E4F8DFC7.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m not a network guru so I’ll hope others that are come by and help out , but….

I don’t think that will work. The single PoE port on the NVR won’t run that many cameras even if it could.

if there’s a reason not to use the NVR PoE ports for the cameras?, I would run the router to the first PoE switch. From it back to the lan/main ethernet port of the NVR. (NOT one of the PoE ports)

Then all cameras would be on your lan network and can be seen and added manually to the NVR on the registration page.

Agsin depending on your reasoning to use the external switches, you could plug some cameras into the NVR PoE ports directly and others remain on the switches due to? Distance I suppose? Running a hybrid like I do. Some cameras on the NVR PoE ports with its assigned 10.1.1.x IPs, and some on the external switches at 192.168.1.x

Just be sure that on all cameras you run off the external switches which are using your same lan IP range as the NVR (I assume 192.168.1.x) are added one at a time, as they as well as the NVR will all default to the same IP out of the box (192.168.1.108)

To prevent IP conflicts You will need to go to each camera and change its IP to a unique fixed address on the 192 network.

Last edited:

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m not a network guru so I’ll hope others that are come by and help out , but….

I don’t think that will work. The single PoE port on the NVR won’t run that many cameras even if it could.

if there’s a reason not to use the NVR PoE ports for the cameras?, I would run the router to the first PoE switch. From it back to the lan port of the NVR.

Then all cameras would be on your lan network and can be seen and added manually to the NVR on the registration page.

Agsin depending on your reasoning to use the external switches, you could plug some cameras into the NVR PoE ports directly and others remain on the switches due to? Distance I suppose? Running a hybrid like I do. Some cameras on the NVR PoE ports with its assigned 10.1.1.x IPs, and some on the external switches at 192.168.1.x

Just be sure that on all cameras you run off the external switches which are using your same lan IP range as the NVR (I assume 192.168.1.x) are added one at a time, as they as well as the NVR will all default to the same IP out of the box (192.168.1.108)

To prevent IP conflicts You will need to go to each camera and change its IP to a unique fixed address on the 192 network.
So if I potentially have a install problem I will post a new topic so I do not clutter up this thread.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Following
Unlike Facebook, this forum has a real way to follow a thread instead of cluttering it up with "following" posts LOL

You can simply just hit the watch function on a thread (top right of thread title) LOL.

Just a PSA for future viewers on the PSA thread LOL

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just did a complete reset on my NVR. I have a cable from my router to the LAN of the NVR. I have 4 camera's tied into the POE ports and the cameras are working. But the NVR will not stop beeping. Any how to disable the beeping?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you had previously disabled the HDD error alert.
Check the system log to confirm what the alert is from.
Disable as needed from the event exceptions configuration.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - adding this diagram I just created for another user... ( link below )

Example of a home network diagram with a NVR + external PoE switch.

1639247701967.png

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I finally got all my cameras in place. I have DMSS loaded on my phone and ipad and I am able to see everything when I am on wifi. But when I turn wifi off on my phone I am getting "connection failed" on the camera's.
When I enable P2P then I am able to see everything.

I know the first step is to disable P2P, but, the purpose I installed these camera's was to monitor livestock in our barns when we are away from home.
Do I have something setup wrong?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Correct P2P should be disabled. Did you set-up VPN server on your router yet?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally got all my cameras in place. I have DMSS loaded on my phone and ipad and I am able to see everything when I am on wifi. But when I turn wifi off on my phone I am getting "connection failed" on the camera's.
When I enable P2P then I am able to see everything.

I know the first step is to disable P2P, but, the purpose I installed these camera's was to monitor livestock in our barns when we are away from home.
Do I have something setup wrong?
Exactly how it’s supposed to work.
When you disconnect from your home wifi network your phone is now communicating from an external address.
You can’t get into the NVR on your home network without A) using Dahua’s P2P or B) installing a VPN server (like on your router) and client software on your phone. Both create a virtual tunnel of sorts to allow you to connect to your home network. Otherwise, every hacker in Bulgaria could remotely screw with your NVR and connected refrigerator.

Some say using P2P is adequate security, others say not. Most will advise you use a VPN

bourmb

n3wb
Reaction score
Regarding the VPN, what if your router Doesn’t have it built in? I run a Amplifi HD mesh router as I live in a large house and it doesn’t have a way to add a VPN to it. Does that mean I need to buy a cheapo router that connects to the Amplifi router and has VPN installed on it for all the cameras?

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Regarding the VPN, what if your router Doesn’t have it built in? I run a Amplifi HD mesh router as I live in a large house and it doesn’t have a way to add a VPN to it. Does that mean I need to buy a cheapo router that connects to the Amplifi router and has VPN installed on it for all the cameras?
@bourmb, to ave buyng a new router get yourself a Raspberry PI and install OpenVPN and/or WireGuard on it using the instructions here: PIVPN: Simplest way to setup a VPN or download and install ZeroTier on an always-on machine at home. I have two Raspberry Pis - one is running Wiregard and the other OpenVPN. Both are running PiHole. Using my VPNs, I can access my cameras via DMSS when I am on cellular.

bourmb

n3wb
Reaction score
@bourmb, to ave buyng a new router get yourself a Raspberry PI and install OpenVPN and/or WireGuard on it using the instructions here: PIVPN: Simplest way to setup a VPN or download and install ZeroTier on an always-on machine at home. I have two Raspberry Pis - one is running Wiregard and the other OpenVPN. Both are running PiHole. Using my VPNs, I can access my cameras via DMSS when I am on cellular.
Thanks for the advice. I’m was planning to get a NVR rather than a dedicated PC for the cameras in a couple days. It sounds as if these devices go between the NVR and a router, correct? I’m starting to think buying a used PC is going to be a cheaper option than the Andy recommended NVR5208-8P-4KS2E DVR and adding a 6T WD Purple HDD, and this Raspberry PI for another $125! Shit’s starting to add up for just needing a few cameras!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: