Project for my town - I don't know where to start

Marble68

n3wb
Reaction score
So, my town has asked me to try and build them something that will be mounted next to the road. Big flashing sign "Local PD welcomes you" - they want it to scream surveillance. The cars will pass by at 50mph or so.

The goal isn't to read the plates (but I'd like to be able to) - but to get a clear picture of passing vehicles.

The good thing is I'll have a great angle on the cars. The bad thing I have a "petty cash" budget.

My the budget is super tight (less than $650).

So my first shot at this was an IR LPR camera (generic) from Alibaba and a raspberry Pi.

The camera takes stills and FTPs them, but when it's sending the image, it ignores the next car.

So I started trying to grab frames from the RTSP stream, and bought a radar from Omnipresense, and when a car comes within rage, copy the frame from a ram drive.

Well, the frames are all noisy and blocky, or if the car is moving more than 30 mph, smeared.

So - my question is - if you were going to build this - which camera would you use? Knowing it would be mounted at least 8 ft up - and be as close to the highway as a stop sign?

I'm still working on the software side - I've tried ffmpeg but I'm starting to think it's not the answer. I think I need some type of motion detection. Maybe motion app, or something like that.

Any tips on where to start? I can write software, but I'm not codec / ip camera guru.

Do you think a Raspberry pi is adequate for this? Should I look at something more powerful?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, my town has asked me to try and build them something that will be mounted next to the road. Big flashing sign "Local PD welcomes you" - they want it to scream surveillance. The cars will pass by at 50mph or so.

The goal isn't to read the plates (but I'd like to be able to) - but to get a clear picture of passing vehicles.

The good thing is I'll have a great angle on the cars. The bad thing I have a "petty cash" budget.

My the budget is super tight (less than $650).

So my first shot at this was an IR LPR camera (generic) from Alibaba and a raspberry Pi.

The camera takes stills and FTPs them, but when it's sending the image, it ignores the next car.

So I started trying to grab frames from the RTSP stream, and bought a radar from Omnipresense, and when a car comes within rage, copy the frame from a ram drive.

Well, the frames are all noisy and blocky, or if the car is moving more than 30 mph, smeared.

So - my question is - if you were going to build this - which camera would you use? Knowing it would be mounted at least 8 ft up - and be as close to the highway as a stop sign?

I'm still working on the software side - I've tried ffmpeg but I'm starting to think it's not the answer. I think I need some type of motion detection. Maybe motion app, or something like that.

Any tips on where to start? I can write software, but I'm not codec / ip camera guru.

Do you think a Raspberry pi is adequate for this? Should I look at something more powerful?
Hi Marble -

I would be very cautious on this sort of civic project - there can be significant legal issues and legal challenges - and if they can only give you a budget of $650, well then I am concerned that they will be unable to handle any legal challenges or record requests ( example - FOIA, Open Records challenges, .. etc )

Marble68

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah - I was thinking about stuff like that.

This isn’t for speed enforcement, and the like. More a crime deterrent.

That being said - is it technically possible using a Pi?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Marble68

n3wb
Reaction score
How fast does it save the stills? The camera I have now has an SD card slot - but when it's saving an image to FTP it doesn't capture.

I'll put in a high speed SD Card in it and do more testing - but yeah - if it can snap the pictures and get every vehicle, this would work great!