Prayers Welcomed

Reaction score
All I can say is, enjoy every day that you can with those you love because you never know which day will be the last...
Yes, what you said. Both my parents died in 1995, when I was 40. A day does not go by that I don't wish I could talk to them. I tell my wife to call her mom in NOLA often. As often as she wants. She is in her 80's. Some day they will not be able to talk ever again. You never know when that day will come.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey,
Sorry to hear about your mom, good to hear that things are turning the corner for her, I took care of both my parents, they both went in their early 70's, Will be keeping your whole family in our prayers.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Better, thanks for asking. Able to walk with a walker, get in and out of chair, bed almost. They had her walking with a harness attached to the ceiling and she’s coming along. Speech much better, short term memory coming along well, long term is fine. Swallowing still problematic but feeding tube in stomach doesnt seem to bother her.

Still a long way to go, but the place we got her in for rehab is literally one of the best. I’m amazed and humbled at the level of care and various therapy’s , some very hi-tech and others just hard work. She’s already further along than I thought possible.

About 2 weeks to go and we’ll take her home and I’ll setup shop there to care for her. We’ll probably sell our house, which was the plan anyway, the plan just got moved up by about 5 years.

Took her cat down to see her this morning, and we got her outside. Both big hits!

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Much better. Talking up a storm, speech 85-90% back to normal, very aware, short term memory back 80%+, mobility getting better each day, though I think she pulled a muscle in her leg Thursday, minor setback. Swallowing coming along slowly. Discharge date is set for 4/27

I cant say enough good things about the rehab care at Advent Winter Park. State of the art, incredible attention and care. She sees usually 3-4 therapists a day. Speech, memory, PT, OT, swallowing, music (yes they have music therapy)

Its still going to be challenging when I get her home, but if you'd have told me she would have come this far on 3/22 I'd have said that wasnt possible.

I spend 5-6 hours per day with her and I'm learning quite a bit trying to take in as much as possible as it will all be on me here in about 10 days. I passed my feeding tube test and was awarded my very own syringes and stethoscope :)

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Much better. Talking up a storm, speech 85-90% back to normal, very aware, short term memory back 80%+, mobility getting better each day, though I think she pulled a muscle in her leg Thursday, minor setback. Swallowing coming along slowly. Discharge date is set for 4/27
This is awesome news to hear!