Possible office building customer for coming up. Recommendations for Dahua cameras?

Reaction score
I'll be meeting up with a customer on Thursday who was quoted $60,000 for 20 data runs, 20 cameras, and NVR via Hikvision from some vendor to start a pre-field and to give my own quote. Surely, I'll be cheaper. $59,500 at least :)
I, of course, will go with the Blue Iris and Dahua IP camera route as that is what I am familiar with.
I know much about external outside IP camera purpose & use....do's and dont's. For sure will be discussing focal lengths, ptz's, lighting, etc.
But what of inside cameras? Hallways and stairwells.
For a business application, what are the do's and don'ts? I still detest 'dome' cameras and would prefer to go with turrets but that is my personal opinion.
I see Andy has come out with a mini-ptz that I am also curious about.
I assume the 5442 series will cover all bases for inside/outside of the building. But I am just curious of something I could be missing or not thinking about.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some places I actually like the mini-dome wedge style cameras indoors .. dual lens also ( aka boobie camera ) - this is mostly when I want a smaller profile

Other places I want people to see the camera easily ..

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm.. about to purchase 29 cameras & mounts (thanks @EMPIRETECANDY) along with 8-1000' boxes of Ethernet cable for work... currently at about $7,300 before the purchase of misc hardware and some EMT.

Not sure what the interior concerns might be, however I also prefer the mini wedge cams inside, especially when the ceilings are not overly high. Less camera surface to be messed with by those who may not like the cameras, and they tend to blend in visually better than the turret.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Some places I actually like the mini-dome wedge style cameras indoors .. dual lens also ( aka boobie camera ) - this is mostly when I want a smaller profile

Other places I want people to see the camera easily ..
mini-wedge... I do not own that camera so do not know it's pro's/con's.
What makes it better than a 5442? 5MP vs 4MP? Or is it the smaller footprint on a ceiling?

Reaction score
The domes IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE we have some client use at commercial/business place, work great. The 5442 series are good!
Amazon.com : EmpireTech 4MP 1/1.8" CMOS IR Fixed-Focal Dome Smart Network Camera SMD 3.0,POE and ePoE Support,IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE 2.8mm : Electronics
If the place has good light can use the full color models IPC-Color4K-T, also check the 180 degree camera IPC-Color4K-T180, they will light up the led illumniation if night light is not poor.
when I talk to the client, I'll have to ask what cameras are priority for 8MP purposes and then 4MP purposes. And IF they even want inside cameras at all.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe find out how the lighting works as well.

Some businesses have lighting set to come automatically if the alarm is tripped (coutdown as well as full alarm) and the lights latch on. If this is the case, it makes a whole lot of difference to available light. Where I work, the lights do this and remain latched until setting the alarm on the way out. In that scenario, obviously low light is less of a concern unless the power is down or the fuse board interefered with. That probably depends on the risk factors of the business and whether it's something the casual criminal will attack or something like a bank which might attract the professional criminal who will plan and go to much further lengths to try to circumvent security.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I know nobody likes my 180 Panoramic Cams, but it checks the boxes for discreet, Overview, and 6 points of travel getting off my elevators. It tells me a lot of information about where contractors and guests and other people are going.

1671483093525.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did my prefield today.
21 existing analog HikVision cameras & 24 port Hikvision NVR for existing.
A "U" shaped building with the top of the "U" facing front parking lot and bottom of "U" facing rear parking lot.
Customer does not want too many bells & whistles. Only will use a NVR system for playback purposes, no notifictions to cell phones or emails.
I will have alerts enabled on Blue Iris for easy time line icon purposes.
They would prefer all 21 cameras to record 24/7 for 30 day history. Going to have to do some math from a IPCT posting somewhere (maybe Wiki?) to figure that out.

Back parking lot: has a PTZ that the customer didn't even know was a PTZ, and a fixed dome (yep...that is right...a dome) 25' high catching back parking lot.
Back parking lot: 2x fixed cameras 9' high for each leg of the "U" customer walkway/breezeway.
Front parking lot is the same for 4 cameras but all are under the front roof ease so all are 9' or 10' high.
3 story building
Each floor has 3 interior dome cameras. 1 dedicated to catch elevator doors. 2 at each end of the hallway to catch executive suite doorways and stairwells.
1st floor has 2 exterior cameras mounted under roof ease at 9' or 10' high dedicated to catch inside of the "U" since they have water fountain and benches there.
They did request 2 specific purpose cameras. They want to see vehicles & license plates on playback at the 2 entrances at 50'-75' distance which will be up 20' high. Not for LPR but just to generally see a license plate in the recordings.
I explained to them about focal length and distances for DORI, pro's and con's of high/low mounted cameras, day vs night lighting... I like using my favorite quote by a really great super guy (me): with 2.8mm focal length, you won't be able to tell if it was Elvis or Sasquatch but you will see something. And that is what they want.
I explained color vs IR black & white based on outdoor lighting and they said AOK for no color video needed at night.
They were really impressed with my questions about camera configuration and said no one asked those questions before.
Cabling with Cat6 will not be fun but that is why I'm a professional :)
Articulating boom lift will be required for outdoor cameras due to the slight angle of parking lot (inhibiting the use of a standard scissor lift).

Of course, I am leaning towards mostly Dahua varifocals turrets for everything outside since it just might be a "WOW" factor of zooming in specific points they didn't know was possible before.
However, I will propose 1 x SD5 or 1 x SD6 series (which ever is the 4MP verison) for rear parking lot and same for front parking lot because they are just really cool to have and they cover many "WOW" factor bases, which may negate the need of outdoor varifocals. Dunno yet.
The dedicated car/license plate cameras would be the Dahua 12mm-60mm varifocal (I believe @EMPIRETECANDY said these are good for 75'-100' range).
All interior cameras would be fixed 2.8mm Dahua's turrets (again, I personally disfavor plastic domes) since most motion will be in the 5'-10' range.
I could see using 180 degree cameras at the 1st floor bottom stairwell to catch the stairwell at the center with walkway breezeway left & right.

I know it's one thing to simply follow the customers needs for a basic generic system build. It's another trying to figure out the unspoken / unknown to the customer for their wants with cute bells & whistles I think they would love (example: the idea of PTZ front & back parking lot).
I, of course, am leaning towards Dahua 5442's for most cameras. But then folks above mentioned mini-dome wedge style cameras for indoors I do admit I have a biased point of view because I love the AI and color night time video/alerts for my own personal home setup. But not sure if any of that is needed here.
I have more research to do.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Did my prefield today.
21 existing analog HikVision cameras & 24 port Hikvision NVR for existing.
A "U" shaped building with the top of the "U" facing front parking lot and bottom of "U" facing rear parking lot.
Customer does not want too many bells & whistles. Only will use a NVR system for playback purposes, no notifictions to cell phones or emails.
I will have alerts enabled on Blue Iris for easy time line icon purposes.
They would prefer all 21 cameras to record 24/7 for 30 day history. Going to have to do some math from a IPCT posting somewhere (maybe Wiki?) to figure that out.

Back parking lot: has a PTZ that the customer didn't even know was a PTZ, and a fixed dome (yep...that is right...a dome) 25' high catching back parking lot.
Back parking lot: 2x fixed cameras 9' high for each leg of the "U" customer walkway/breezeway.
Front parking lot is the same for 4 cameras but all are under the front roof ease so all are 9' or 10' high.
3 story building
Each floor has 3 interior dome cameras. 1 dedicated to catch elevator doors. 2 at each end of the hallway to catch executive suite doorways and stairwells.
1st floor has 2 exterior cameras mounted under roof ease at 9' or 10' high dedicated to catch inside of the "U" since they have water fountain and benches there.
They did request 2 specific purpose cameras. They want to see vehicles & license plates on playback at the 2 entrances at 50'-75' distance which will be up 20' high. Not for LPR but just to generally see a license plate in the recordings.
I explained to them about focal length and distances for DORI, pro's and con's of high/low mounted cameras, day vs night lighting... I like using my favorite quote by a really great super guy (me): with 2.8mm focal length, you won't be able to tell if it was Elvis or Sasquatch but you will see something. And that is what they want.
I explained color vs IR black & white based on outdoor lighting and they said AOK for no color video needed at night.
They were really impressed with my questions about camera configuration and said no one asked those questions before.
Cabling with Cat6 will not be fun but that is why I'm a professional :)
Articulating boom lift will be required for outdoor cameras due to the slight angle of parking lot (inhibiting the use of a standard scissor lift).

Of course, I am leaning towards mostly Dahua varifocals turrets for everything outside since it just might be a "WOW" factor of zooming in specific points they didn't know was possible before.
However, I will propose 1 x SD5 or 1 x SD6 series (which ever is the 4MP verison) for rear parking lot and same for front parking lot because they are just really cool to have and they cover many "WOW" factor bases, which may negate the need of outdoor varifocals. Dunno yet.
The dedicated car/license plate cameras would be the Dahua 12mm-60mm varifocal (I believe @EMPIRETECANDY said these are good for 75'-100' range).
All interior cameras would be fixed 2.8mm Dahua's turrets (again, I personally disfavor plastic domes) since most motion will be in the 5'-10' range.
I could see using 180 degree cameras at the 1st floor bottom stairwell to catch the stairwell at the center with walkway breezeway left & right.

I know it's one thing to simply follow the customers needs for a basic generic system build. It's another trying to figure out the unspoken / unknown to the customer for their wants with cute bells & whistles I think they would love (example: the idea of PTZ front & back parking lot).
I, of course, am leaning towards Dahua 5442's for most cameras. But then folks above mentioned mini-dome wedge style cameras for indoors I do admit I have a biased point of view because I love the AI and color night time video/alerts for my own personal home setup. But not sure if any of that is needed here.
I have more research to do.
seems like a fun project.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is because a lot of "professionals" out there are trunk slammers. Someone probably quoted them some cheap 5MP on 1/3" sensors and marked them up ridiculously.

Wonder if they would give you the breakdown of the other quote.

You will give them a 10 fold better system at a lot less cost.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
That is because a lot of "professionals" out there are trunk slammers. Someone probably quoted them some cheap 5MP on 1/3" sensors and marked them up ridiculously.

Wonder if they would give you the breakdown of the other quote.

You will give them a 10 fold better system at a lot less cost.
would love to see the OG quote.

Reaction score
seems like a fun project.
previous quote from different installer was $60k. probably for generic system.
am hoping with Blue Iris + UI3, 5mp wedge cameras (think I'm learning toward them for inside instead of 5442's), a couple powerful REAL PTZ's and driveway cams.... they will say worth $80,000 :)

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
previous quote from different installer was $60k. probably for generic system.
am hoping with Blue Iris + UI3, 5mp wedge cameras (think I'm learning toward them for inside instead of 5442's), a couple powerful REAL PTZ's and driveway cams.... they will say worth $80,000 :)
which dell optiplex for the cams?

or somthing else to run BI?

Reaction score
which dell optiplex for the cams?

or somthing else to run BI?
for the price of this installation, I will go with a DIY server case build (like I did for my own house).
and a really good 24 port POE switch. Will not have to be managed since I am most likely go the route of a double NIC card in the Blue Iris machine to keep it out of the network