Possibility of Oncam Grandeye disablement of multistream feature with firmware update

camster

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed that the Oncam Grandeye Evolution 12 360 degree IP camera resets or reboots significantly more often
when I enable the second stream where the first stream is H264 and the second stream is MJPEG
even when I don't exceed the reduced frame rate constraints associated with operating with multiple streams.

Be warned it could be disablement of multi stream feature with firmware update.

If there is problem with ASIC (i.e special single-function encoder chip) they might not be able to fix it with software update.
Thats just guessing... Happened before.
Could we fix this Oncam Grandeye Evolution 12 360 degree IP camera frequent reset or reboot problem using a C++ program by either
1. sleeping 30 seconds after the Oncam Grandeye Evolution 12 360 degree IP camera resets or reboots and sending another HTTP REST command to the Oncam Grandeye Evolution 12 360 degree IP camera after it resets or reboots

ONCAM Grandeye Camera has a timeout parameter in milliseconds, with a default value of 10000 millisecnds, which controls how long the camera firmware waits before returning a connection refused error message should the camera reset. Should I increase the value of the timeout parameters rather than waiting 30 seconds and trying to reconnect to the camera again?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Possibility of Oncam Grandeye disablement of multistream feature with firmware up

@camster, are you running the latest firmware? What are you using the mjpeg stream for?

camster

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Possibility of Oncam Grandeye disablement of multistream feature with firmware up

@fenderman,

Yes, I am using the latest firmware, version = 1.9.4.145

The purpose of the second camera MJPEG stream in addition to the first camera H264 stream is to test ONCAM Grandeye's dual stream capability.
The ONCAM Grandeye camera module does not allow both the main camera and second camera streams to be set to MJPEG at the same time

Today, I reproduced the ONCAM Grandeye bug with the following HTTP REST endpoint even using the latest firmware patch, version = 1.9.4.145

Grandeye::SetProperties()
Command issued is HTTP GET
http://192.168.1.212/seth264settings.cgi?camera=26&ratecontrol=off&maxfps=9&goplength=5&h264quality=80
Command ran successfully.
delay=30000 !!! this 30000 millisecond delay is followed by a 30 second Sleep.
This 30000 millisecond delay is caused by the libcurl library when the following C++
code is executed:
// This function does the Http Get and return true on success and
false on failure.
// The Http response is stored in m_sBuffer and error is stored in m_sError.
bool CHttpClientCurl::Get()
{
if (m_curl == NULL)
{
m_sError = L"CURL handle is NULL.";
return false;
}

m_sBuffer.clear();
curl_easy_reset(m_curl);
char sUrl[8192];
wcstombs(sUrl, m_sUrl.c_str(), m_sUrl.length());
sUrl[m_sUrl.length()] = '\0';
curl_easy_setopt(m_curl, CURLOPT_URL, sUrl);

std::wstring userpwd = m_sUserName + L":" + m_sPassword;
char sUserpwd[512];
wcstombs(sUserpwd, userpwd.c_str(), userpwd.length());
sUserpwd[userpwd.length()] = '\0';

//TODO_V 07/24/2015 Needs to have an option to set authentication
type (Basic, Digest, etc)
curl_easy_setopt(m_curl, CURLOPT_USERPWD, sUserpwd);
curl_easy_setopt(m_curl, CURLOPT_WRITEFUNCTION, CHttpClientCurlWritefunc);
curl_easy_setopt(m_curl, CURLOPT_WRITEDATA, &m_sBuffer); // m_sBuffer = "delay=30000" after curl_easy_perform returns asynchronously

m_res = curl_easy_perform(m_curl);
int64_t nHttpCode = 0;
curl_easy_getinfo(m_curl, CURLINFO_RESPONSE_CODE, &nHttpCode);
m_nStatusCode = nHttpCode;
if (m_res != CURLE_OK)
{
std::wstringstream ss;
ss << curl_easy_strerror(m_res);
m_sError = L"Error occurred - " + std::wstring(ss.str());
return false;
}
else if (nHttpCode != 200)
{
SetErrorString(nHttpCode);
return false;
}

return true;
}

Any help is greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

@camster Does the same thing happen if both streams are h.264? Do you have any use for the mjepg stream? or you are just testing whether it works?
I am not familiar with the camera. Its not a popular model. Have you talked to pelco about this issue?

camster

n3wb
Reaction score

@fenderman, Thank you for your reply. Tomorrow morning I will test if
the same thing happen if both streams are h.264 and reply to your
post.
>> Do you have any use for the mjepg stream? or you are just testing whether it works?
I am just testing whether the second mjpeg stream works when the
first stream is H264

>>I am not familiar with the camera. Its not a popular model. Have you talked to pelco about this issue?
I just googled www.pelco.com. Is Pelco a subsidiary of Oncam Grandeye? May I ask why I need to talk to Pelco about this issue?
Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

@fenderman, Thank you for your reply. Tomorrow morning I will test if
the same thing happen if both streams are h.264 and reply to your
post.
>> Do you have any use for the mjepg stream? or you are just testing whether it works?
I am just testing whether the second mjpeg stream works when the
first stream is H264

>>I am not familiar with the camera. Its not a popular model. Have you talked to pelco about this issue?
I just googled www.pelco.com. Is Pelco a subsidiary of Oncam Grandeye? May I ask why I need to talk to Pelco about this issue?
Thank you
I was under the impression that they were a subsidiary of pelco, but looks like they just partnered to sell this camera
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140210005058/en/Pelco-Schneider-Electric-Oncam-Grandeye-Enter-Strategic#.Vewr2xFViko

camster

n3wb
Reaction score

@fenderman,
I just tried initializing the Oncam Grandeye Evolution IP Camera to H264 Resolution 1M on the first camera stream and H264 0.25M Resolution on the second camera stream and after 5 minutes the image display is still negotiating.
Do you have any theories on why the Oncam Grandeye camera automatically resets partially so often under certain scenarios?
Thank you very much.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

@fenderman,
I just tried initializing the Oncam Grandeye Evolution IP Camera to H264 Resolution 1M on the first camera stream and H264 0.25M Resolution on the second camera stream and after 5 minutes the image display is still negotiating.
Do you have any theories on why the Oncam Grandeye camera automatically resets partially so often under certain scenarios?
Thank you very much.
Maybe a firmware bug, maybe mjpeg users more cpu...who knows...there is generally very little use for mjpeg so i wouldnt even give it a second thought...just use h.264...

camster

n3wb
Reaction score

@fenderman, Thank you for your help. Since H264 is computationally less demanding than MJPEG , may I ask why after 5 minutes the Oncam Grandeye Evolution IP Camera Web Interface image display is still negotiating when I select H264 for both the first and second camera stream and enable the second camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

@fenderman, Thank you for your help. Since H264 is computationally less demanding than MJPEG , may I ask why after 5 minutes the Oncam Grandeye Evolution IP Camera Web Interface image display is still negotiating when I select H264 for both the first and second camera stream and enable the second camera?
I misunderstood when you said it was negotiating...I have no idea why it doesnt work at all..it can be that h.264 is more intensive for the camera than mjpeg because it has to do compression ...but I dont know for certain just guessing...it can just be a firmware bug..the only person who can properly help you is the manufacturer...

camster

n3wb
Reaction score

@fenderman Before I contact Pelso, Could I ask you your opinion of the following options for fixing the Oncam Grandeye Evolution 12 360 degree IP camera frequent reset or reboot firmware and ASIC problem with H264 streams using a C++ program to
1. sleeping 30 seconds after the Oncam Grandeye Evolution 12 360 degree IP camera resets or reboots and sending another HTTP REST command to the Oncam Grandeye Evolution 12 360 degree IP camera after it resets or reboots
OR
ONCAM Grandeye Camera has a timeout parameter in milliseconds, with a default value of 10000 millisecnds, which controls how long the camera firmware waits before returning a connection refused error message should the camera reset. Should I increase the value of the timeout parameters rather than waiting 30 seconds and trying to reconnect to the camera again?
Thank you very much.

Reaction score

@camster - Hi - I work for Oncam Grandeye and would like to get in touch with you so that we can assist you with this problem. Would you be able to send your contact details to thume@oncamgrandeye.com? We look forward to hearing from you!

Blackhawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@camster @fenderman I haven't seen much discussion of the Oncam Grandeye system in these forums. Care to share your impressions?

I was looking at the Evolution 12MP outdoor camera. The client-side dewarping via the Vcams looks ideal to use with Blue Iris, but the resulting image is only 1MP which isn't great.

Evolution 12 Outdoor - Oncam

I realize these are expensive commercial grade cameras but it's annoying that there are almost zero videos showing how they work in practice. Even the Pelco video doesn't really show anything.