• To sell security camera equipment or software for income

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I put together and install systems for homes, businesses for income

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Just needed info on a security system for my business, that's all

• Not a "hobby" per se but have interest in topic and like to help others

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Like to help but get crotchety easily when folks don't read all threads first

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Looking for recommendations on equipment or good prices

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Have specific questions on a hardware or setup issue I'm experiencing

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I don't have a life and come here to make friends

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Needed help on how to watch my neighbors without going outside 24/7/365

• Total voters

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Pick your top two answers.

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
This site, because of the experts who hang out here, offers the best information I've found anywhere on the various subjects related to security cameras.

Reading and asking questions here gave me the information I needed to get things set up right for my home system.

Along the way, I've gotten to know some great folks, and I do enjoy the forum on a social level as well.

And, of course, it's always fun to see good camera captures, too.

Older Dude

n3wb
Reaction score
I need to learn for sure, been reading for a few weeks. I'm stumped because I don't want to run a separate poe cable to 4 different cameras. I'm trying to find out if it's possible to run just one peo cable from an NVR up to a powered switch in the attic and do the split there. so many different NVR's and I'm still a complete noob at this.

Reaction score
I need to learn for sure, been reading for a few weeks. I'm stumped because I don't want to run a separate poe cable to 4 different cameras. I'm trying to find out if it's possible to run just one peo cable from an NVR up to a powered switch in the attic and do the split there. so many different NVR's and I'm still a complete noob at this.
This is exactly what alot of us do now. My NVR is in a secure area and 1 ethernet cable (not POE) is run from the NVR up to the attic where I have a 24 Port POE+ switch located. All of my cameras are then connected via Ethernet cable (Cat 5e) to this switch. The switch provides all power and network requirements to each camera. It's very simple to do, if you get a switch that has enough total (POE) power to handle all the cameras you intend to install. It's not rocket science at all, just ask for a recommendation along the way if you have a doubt about something. This is a great group of knowledgeable people that are willing to help out.

One thing I may not have made clear. The Ethernet cable running from the NVR to the POE Switch, does not need POE at all. So, you would not need to buy an NVR with POE ports and an Ethernet port. You only need an NVR with 1 ethernet port. Now, in order to get everything connected to your local area network (LAN) you need to run an additional wire from the POE switch to your router, or any other switch connected to the router. So when planning how many ports are needed on the POE switch, just make sure you have at least 2 reserved for network connectivity and however many more will be needed for cameras.

Older Dude

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you weigle2, didn't expect that. I'm stumped because I'm thinking the ethernet ports on NVR's that would go to each camera are already powered...., is this wrong? I have two cheap YI wireless cameras right now, but I don't like the lag or the 1080 res. I want some better cameras and wired now that I see what they can do. I just want to put some type NVR hidden near my router and take one line to a poe switch if I can.

Reaction score
Thank you weigle2, didn't expect that. I'm stumped because I'm thinking the ethernet ports on NVR's that would go to each camera are already powered...., is this wrong? I have two cheap YI wireless cameras right now, but I don't like the lag or the 1080 res. I want some better cameras and wired now that I see what they can do. I just want to put some type NVR hidden near my router and take one line to a poe switch if I can.
There are 2 basic types of NVR's. I use an NVR (5216-4KS2) that only has 1 ethernet port. Then, you have NVR's that come with the POE ethernet ports, and a network ethernet port. It's more difficult to locate an NVR someplace if you have to run all your camera connections to this POE NVR, as you have already discovered. You can do exactly what you want to do, just by buying a POE switch and an NVR with just the Ethernet port for network connectivity. Then place the POE switch at whatever location is most convenient for your scenario, and run an ethernet cable to your router, and then a connection to the NVR.

Older Dude

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a ton, I want to do just what you said. can you tell me which poe switch you are using?

right now I only need 4 cameras total with an extra port if I want to add. from what I'm really wanting at least one 5mp ptz camera on my garage that has decent night vision and zoom, the rest I just want 5mp that can zoom a little. from what I understand, ptz's need more voltage and I need at least 60 watt total?

Edit, also after reading your post again..it seems the nvr is not in series with the poe as I was thinking. you're saying the nvr hooks in a line back from the poe. this is why I didn't get it, I keep seeing nvr's with only one ethernet port and wondered how the heck you passed through the dang thing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks a ton, I want to do just what you said. can you tell me which poe switch you are using?

right now I only need 4 cameras total with an extra port if I want to add. from what I'm really wanting at least one 5mp ptz camera on my garage that has decent night vision and zoom, the rest I just want 5mp that can zoom a little. from what I understand, ptz's need more voltage and I need at least 60 watt total?

Edit, also after reading your post again..it seems the nvr is not in series with the poe as I was thinking. you're saying the nvr hooks in a line back from the poe. this is why I didn't get it, I keep seeing nvr's with only one ethernet port and wondered how the heck you passed through the dang thing.
I would recommend you read through the Cliff Notes, if you haven't already. Very handy for a lot of the questions you have.

IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk

Also, I can't recommend the POE+ switch I use right now. It's touted to have at least 30 watts per port, and it has failed to deliver this for the 1 camera I need it for. So, I would point you to a post that has a lot of ideas/recommendations regarding switches.

PoE Switch Suggestion List

Also, the Wiki provides another source of very useful info.

I do have to wonder why you are going with 5MP cameras. More than likely, they will not provide very good night video, unless you have a great deal of light to illuminate their FOV. All my cams are 2MP Starvis models, and I could not be happier with how they perform.

Older Dude

n3wb
Reaction score
I certainly need to read a lot more, you've pointed me in the right direction, thanks. As far as the 5mp cameras, my thinking is 5mp is greater than 2mp. this is another area I need to read a lot on, I do have some lighting around the yard...but not a ton. all I really need is way better clarity than these 1080 wireless I started with, not happy at all with them. after chatting with you, think I'll settle on a poe switch for my needs, mount it and run all the ethernet, read more about a few camera's I can start with, then lastly pick an NVR.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've recently setup a home security system (hikvision 8channel nvr) with two cameras to start. In the process of first researching then purchasing, most googled topics pointed here and it helped a lot. Now that I'm tweaking I decided to join and contribute.