PoE Switch Suggestion List

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In that case my set up might look like this:
- BI switch @wiring center to intermediate switch approx 100 feet (actually lesser)
- intermediate switch inside crawl space just before outdoor junction box and around 300 feet of conduit
- junction box at other end of said conduit, camera less than 10 feet of cable
The distances will be within specs.
No practical way to add another switch in the 300-foot conduit run.

There is power already at the far end, on the same "panel" that the conduit terminates in a junction box.
My general understanding is that the 328-foot limitation is about data travel over ethernet.
Dahua describes their "ePoE" standard, which enables longer runs to their cameras.
How does that work?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep 328 is the theoretical limit for data and/or power over ethernet.

The ePOE is a proprietary system that would require a ePOE camera and either an ePOE switch or ePOE NVR.

Further it will drop the bandwidth to 10Mbps theoretical, so a 4K at 15FPS pushing 14,000bitrate will probably not work, so you need to make sure you don't go crazy on resolution, FPS, and bitrate at those distances.

Based on these limitations it may be cheaper to run fiber to allow for full capability of bandwidth and camera and equipment selection.

Or go with an ubiquity nanostation if you have line of sight.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had shortlisted that unit, reached out to Andy for a price, and he said he does not have any in stock.
It's $370 at B&H, which seems high.
Good to hear fans are quiet. Thanks.

Edit/correction: The model number of the unit I had found "LR2226-24ET-360" is similar but slightly different.
It may just be from a different point in time.
Also dahua brand idk... I mentioned this before but recycled used enterprise class hardware is usually the best value out there. Here are some current examples for fractions of the price, managed, sfp etc... and hpe reliability:

I've had a 1910 running for several years with zero issues. It does LACP too (link aggregation), which goes well with my newer router and nas.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The idea of running fiber is growing on me.
Looks like a media converter is needed at either end, which is doable.
Have to figure out how to run the physical cable in the existing empty 3/4" conduit already in the ground.

Line of sight not feasible.

An enterprise class switch is interesting, thanks for the links.

ePoE does not sound like something I want to get in to, or an expensive Dahua switch.

Last edited:

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion on the HP 9610 PoE+ switch. I ordered it on ebay, just a different listing @$65.
Your commentary on the value proposition got me thinking - my current and only PoE switch is not enterprise class, is six times the HP 9610 listing price, is half the power budget, and 16 of 24 ports are PoE+.
The HP 1910 @180W should be plenty for any likely power need I might have for cameras.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I noted Dahua sells POE ethernet switches. I was looking at an 8+2 switch to connect 8 cams to a NVR.
I didn't read the 18 pages here, just wondered if anyone uses a dahua poe switch and can provide info.
I was interested in this one:
Dahua DH-S3000C-8GT2GT-DPWR or
PFS3010-8ET-96

If a PnP switch has 8+2 layout, can I connect my NVR and my PC through the uplink ports? So that the PC can see 8 cams and the NVR?

Last edited:

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If a PnP switch has 8+2 layout, can I connect my NVR and my PC through the uplink ports? So that the PC can see 8 cams and the NVR?
Yes. - any port you use can communicate with the others unless in Vlan mode, then each port only talks through the uplink ports.

PnP switch? - or poe switch? i know of pnp vs npn switching transistors...

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am not sure what "8+2" means, but I think most modern unmanaged switches (sold after 2000) have auto mdi-x (ie port detection) built in so you don't have to worry about mixing 568a and 568b cables for clients and uplinks. So you don't even need a managed switch to do this... just plug stuff in and the switch will figure out which is which so everything just works. So basically, that PFS model just adds 2 non-poe ports to the DH-S model, more or less. Whether that's worth it or even needed is up to you... but do understand that having a port marked "uplink" means nothing on a modern switch (auto mdi-x means any port can be an uplink or a client).

Last edited:

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am not sure what "8+2" means, but I think most modern unmanaged switches (sold after 2000) have auto mdi-x (ie port detection) built in so you don't have to worry about mixing 568a and 568b cables for clients and uplinks. So you don't even need a managed switch to do this... just plug stuff in and the switch will figure out which is which so everything just works. So basically, that PFS model just adds 2 non-poe ports to the DH-S model, more or less. Whether that's worth it or even needed is up to you... but do understand that having a port marked "uplink" means nothing on a modern switch (auto mdi-x means any port can be an uplink or a client).
only difference between a 568a and b cable is the colors of the pairs, as long as both ends of a given cable are the same a or b, then its all good.

8+2 switches that I've seen have 8 POE ports and 2 more non-POE ports which can be used as a passthrough (one for uplink, and one for downlink to another switch).

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
SO I dunno if anyone has mentione dthis switch here, and I'm not about to read this whole 18 page thread to find out, but I just got a Ubiquiti USW-Pro-24-POE, 24 port switch, 12 ports are POE+, and 12 more are POE++, and its all fully managable by the Ubiquiti 'network controller' software... since I already have Unifi U6-LR and -Lite wifi access points, this just seemed natural.

so far? awesome switch.

Capture.JPG

it figured that out all on its own. the blue circles with - are my existing 'dumb' switches, soon to all go away when I rewire this whole place to be directly off this USW. For now, its replacing the couple little 8 port switches I had in my home office, which ahd a few of my cams, one of my access points, plus my PC and some other stuff (most of which doesn't show up here)

once I have everything on this switch, I''ll put my cameras on their own VLAN that only the NVR can access. I'll be able to implement an isolated guest wifi too, thats just internet, isolated from the rest of my network.

oh, and total PoE usage right now with 2 cams and 1 U6-LR AP? 19 watts. will be interesting to see what it is with all 7 cameras and 3 APs... The switch can handle up to 400W of POE.

jpc-s4

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
SO I dunno if anyone has mentione dthis switch here, and I'm not about to read this whole 18 page thread to find out, but I just got a Ubiquiti USW-Pro-24-POE, 24 port switch, 12 ports are POE+, and 12 more are POE++, and its all fully managable by the Ubiquiti 'network controller' software... since I already have Unifi U6-LR and -Lite wifi access points, this just seemed natural.

so far? awesome switch.

View attachment 162035

it figured that out all on its own. the blue circles with - are my existing 'dumb' switches, soon to all go away when I rewire this whole place to be directly off this USW. For now, its replacing the couple little 8 port switches I had in my home office, which ahd a few of my cams, one of my access points, plus my PC and some other stuff (most of which doesn't show up here)

once I have everything on this switch, I''ll put my cameras on their own VLAN that only the NVR can access. I'll be able to implement an isolated guest wifi too, thats just internet, isolated from the rest of my network.

oh, and total PoE usage right now with 2 cams and 1 U6-LR AP? 19 watts. will be interesting to see what it is with all 7 cameras and 3 APs... The switch can handle up to 400W of POE.
I have two of the equivalent 48-port model that have worked perfectly for the past couple years. Ubiquiti has quite the following...

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm too cheap for Ubiquiti stuff. The USW-Pro-24-POE is a 1000$ switch :p
I picked up a used Cisco WS-2960X-24PS-L for 100$ CAD locally. 370W of POE/POE+. ~30W idle when empty.

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I already have Ubiquiti wifi, so it integrates nicely... It was $600 which is half or less than that Cisco new...
I have used Cisco switches for over 20 years, never bought any new ones. They are all rated for millions of pps and line rate throughput. They have squirrel cage ball bearing fans and last forever. The 2960s I use at home was manufactured in 2011.

just steer clear of anything cheap like D-Link. Those cheaply made ones don't even have an ASIC capable of running more than a few hundred Mbps per port. Just because the brand marketing sys "1Gbps" doesn't mean each port is capable, only the switch as a whole. Years ago one of my managers was flabbergasted to find out (after I exposed the issue) that the $50,000 worth of crappy D-Link switches he bought were not even capable of running 1Gpps throughput on one port. Long story short, within a year we had trashed all of the D-Link switches and put in used Cisco switches, and the network went from a 1/10 to a 10/10 after the change over.

Ubiquity brand is nice too, all be it a bit to flashy for my taste. If I wanted low cost new I would go with Mikrotik hands down.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experience with Cisco/Dlink switches.
I too am running 2 used Ciscos.
I have a 3650 24 port at a Condo ( which I am still minimally supporting thru this month)
and lesser sg200-26 at home.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To be fair Ubiquity does some nice innovations like that AR switchport mapping (scan the QR on the switch with the app and there's a live view of what device is plugged into which port).
But you pay a pretty penny for those features, (and I still prefer 'show int desc') :p

When I was shopping for some wireless APs I looked at the Ubiquity ones, and the pricing didn't seem that high, but I'd need their switches too to complete the ecosystem, and then it's a whole different pricing game.
Went with TP-Link for the APs and my used cisco stuff for switching.

For anyone interested in used cisco stuff just be mindful that the older Cisco stuff has a high idle power usage, my 3750G-24PS for example used almost 100W just sitting there with nothing plugged in.
When you search for a switch, check it's datasheet on the cisco site and make sure it's got 802.3az EEE. Those newer ones are more efficient. (but if you load it with 24 x POE cams, do you really care? :p)

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To be fair Ubiquity does some nice innovations like that AR switchport mapping (scan the QR on the switch with the app and there's a live view of what device is plugged into which port).
But you pay a pretty penny for those features, (and I still prefer 'show int desc') :p

When I was shopping for some wireless APs I looked at the Ubiquity ones, and the pricing didn't seem that high, but I'd need their switches too to complete the ecosystem, and then it's a whole different pricing game.
Went with TP-Link for the APs and my used cisco stuff for switching.

For anyone interested in used cisco stuff just be mindful that the older Cisco stuff has a high idle power usage, my 3750G-24PS for example used almost 100W just sitting there with nothing plugged in.
When you search for a switch, check it's datasheet on the cisco site and make sure it's got 802.3az EEE. Those newer ones are more efficient. (but if you load it with 24 x POE cams, do you really care? :p)
I use used Cisco APs as well. 2702i's are $25 on eBay and support AC wireless.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you know of an 'outdoor' model similar to the 2702i but with a weatherproof enclosure?

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you know of an 'outdoor' model similar to the 2702i but with a weatherproof enclosure?
Not for that price. The 1532's are only 802.11n and the 1540s are still expensive. How far away from the building are you that you can't get a signal from?