PoE Switch Suggestion List

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not for that price. The 1532's are only 802.11n and the 1540s are still expensive. How far away from the building are you that you can't get a signal from?
In my little woodworking shed the signal is quite poor.

The 5ghz SSID isn’t detected anymore by my phone, and the 2.4ghz one has a signal of -84dBm. Speed test results caps at ~20mbps.

That’s about 60ft from the AP in the house.

To “fix” this I got an EAP610-Outdoor AP that I wanted to put on a mast on the shed and mesh it with the indoor unit, but the outdoor unit died a week after I started using it :/ was still on my workbench, didnt even get the chance to hang it. Currently going through the warranty exchange with tplink. But your cheap Cisco APs suggestion is intriguing.

What kind of signal strength do you get with your 2702i at 60ft outdoor?

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My general experiences are that outside walls in your house can greatly attenuate the wifi signal. Get the Android app "Wifi Analyzer", from VREM Software in the Android Play store, its a pretty handy thing that shows all the channels and what APs are using them at what strength.

I have one of my U6-AP's inside my home office, which is in a corner of the house. measurements done with my Pixel 6a phone, which has wifi 6.
  • anywhere in the same room, I get -26-36dB, very strong.
  • adjacent interior room, about 20 feet away, -40-45dB, strong.
  • 6 feet outside the exterior wall the AP is adjacent to, the same AP is -60dB medium weak
  • 60 feet outside that same wall, with some shrubbery, -72dB, very weak
this is with a 1950s California "Ranch" house, that has inch thick redwood overlap plank style exterior siding.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
one good solution is to get an AP that has external antenna connectors, and get a 'sector' panel antenna with compatible pigtail. don't even think about 5Ghz, stick with 2.4Ghz. mount this sector anntenna facing the wood shed on a window, or run it outside and mount it on an outside wall. Depending on the construction of the shed, you might get the best results by putting another AP with another sector antenna on the shed aimed back at the house antenna, and setup those two APs for 'point to point' relay mode, hook the shed relay AP up to a regular indoor omni AP inside the shed.

or bury a 'direct burial' grade ethernet cable from the house to the shed, and hook it up to an AP inside the shed to provide local wireless.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for your measurements of your U6-AP.

I get a similar -74dBm at 60ft in my firepit area. So my EAP610 seems to be giving an OK signal. My wood shed is the culprit as it’s attenuating the signal further at the same 60ft; I only get -84dBm in there.

I wonder if the enterprise Cisco APs are allowed to transmit at a higher power?

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As for running a cable, that was an alternate plan, but the landscaping there isnt the best; the shed sits atop some natural rocks with a cement slab in the front; not as easy as digging a trench and recovering with sod.

The previous owner ran some rg8 from the house to the shed, but the conduit is so small that it seems impossible to even pull out that rg8 now. I looked into some coax Ethernet stuff but that rg8 is more for analog amateur radio stuff and can only transmit 10mbps Ethernet (which interestingly I learned that’s how Ethernet worked before Ethernet Cat cables existed)

ReadyRed

n3wb
Reaction score
Also dahua brand idk... I mentioned this before but recycled used enterprise class hardware is usually the best value out there. Here are some current examples for fractions of the price, managed, sfp etc... and hpe reliability:

I've had a 1910 running for several years with zero issues. It does LACP too (link aggregation), which goes well with my newer router and nas.
Does your 1910 have fans? Are they noisy?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As for running a cable, that was an alternate plan, but the landscaping there isnt the best; the shed sits atop some natural rocks with a cement slab in the front; not as easy as digging a trench and recovering with sod.

The previous owner ran some rg8 from the house to the shed, but the conduit is so small that it seems impossible to even pull out that rg8 now. I looked into some coax Ethernet stuff but that rg8 is more for analog amateur radio stuff and can only transmit 10mbps Ethernet (which interestingly I learned that’s how Ethernet worked before Ethernet Cat cables existed)

hmmm, RF modulator/demodulators like a pair of these should give you 1Gbps over a run of RG8... this particular one is 75 ohm, I believe RG8 is 50 ohm and usually used with PL259 connectors.

you MIGHT get away with using simple F to PL259 adapters with that modulator... ... the cable is 50 ohm, while the modulators are 75 ohm, but over a 60 ft run, that shouldn't matter. of course, I'm assuming your cable HAS pl259 connectors on both ends. if its BNC, you can find similar BNC to F adapters

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nick_mouse

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I would like some advice to connect my new 4 Hikvision cameras. I currently have a non-POE HP 1920g 24p, also chosen because I have a shallow rack. Do you recommend changing the whole switch, with a POE one that maybe also has 10g or 2.5g ports or simply cascading a POE switch with 5 or 8 ports? which model would you recommend? Some used one?
Thanks!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If space is a big issue. replace. If you can live with a cascading POE you can get a small Gigabit POE switch. But 4 Camera's have a funny way of becoming 6 and then 8....so buy thinking of that.

Last edited:

nick_mouse

n3wb
Reaction score
My home rack is a 9U 600mm depth, I'll change it if exist something to fit in!
About the suggested Netgear switch may I create a Vlan on this trough my 1920 rules?
The cameras are 4x Hikvision with 1G connectivity

Edit: What about the Netgear GS308EPP instead?

Last edited:

goneracin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
dumb question
can you daisychain POE units? Like say you have 2 4 chan, can you send an uplink from one to the input of another to in effect create a 7 channel?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, you can uplink data between the two. No different with a POE vs normal data switch.

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
note thats just for the data side, both switches will need power still, eg, you can't daisy chain the PoE off the first switch, as one port on it won't have nearly enough power to run N ports on the 2nd switch.

Reaction score
Anyone looking for some lower cost yet high quality Ethernet switches but requires new (not used) gear with warranty and support should look at the MikroTik brand. I have bought some of their equipment from a Texas-based dealer named ISPSupplies, they seem to have decent pricing and good stock. MikroTik has a PoE switch that is made for outdoor mounting, the netPower 16P. It has a clamshell type, tough polymer weatherproof housing and isn't super expensive, I think it was around $300 last time I looked at one. If you're buying used, I have had good luck with Ruckus Networks (formerly Brocade) ICX line switches, they have web-based config menus but also use a command line interface for advance setups that mimics a lot of Cisco functions and commands.