PoE Switch Suggestion List

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The biggest drawback (with Cisco) is going to be the learning curve. I don't mind helping if you have a question but it will definitely require some investment to get used to the CLI.
Yea, I've really got to decide if/when I'll do the multiple VLAN thing. I'm thinking I'll want the easier interface when I implement that. BUT UNTIL THEN, I may save money and go the enterprise route. How difficult do you think it will be to use the Cisco CLI to connect the switch to a Velop router and create two completely separate VLANs? I'm no stranger to command line... But I don't know the Cisco gear or it's commands. How many lines of commands do you think it will take for a super simple dual VLAN setup? Just enough to isolate the cameras and my Blue Iris NIC...

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How many lines of commands do you think it will take for a super simple dual VLAN setup? Just enough to isolate the cameras and my Blue Iris NIC...
To create a vlan with tag "100", it's one line:
vlan 100

To add an interface to that vlan, it's two lines. Go to your specific interface, then assign the vlan:
interface g1/0/10
switch access vlan 100

So let's say you have a 48-port switch and want to create two vlans, 100 and 200, and put half of the interfaces in each vlan. Here are your commands:

config t
vlan 100
vlan 200
interface range g1/0/1 - 24
switchport access vlan 100
no shut <------ you may not need this line
interface range g1/0/25 - 48
switchport access vlan 200
end
write memory

So if you don't count the config and end and save commands, it's 6 lines. The "no shut" command may be needed if the ports were shutdown. Plug your Blie Iris server into both VLANs (like port 24 (vlan 100) and port 25 (vlan 200) ). Your router would connect to one VLAN only.

Think of this configuration as having two separate 24-port switches.

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The next thing that happens is I get a basic Ubiquiti setup, USG router/firewall, 24 port POE+ switch, 8 port POE switch (it does run warm) and an AP access point.
Do you know the reason they sent a 24 port PoE and also an 8 port PoE? Were they both Ubiquity? If you needed a few more ports than 24 was it simply that the 24+8 was more cost effective than the 48 port I guess? Or was there a different reason?

Reason I am asking is because one thing I've considered is a Ubiquity 24 port non-PoE for my managed network and then a simple, cheap, off-brand, non-managed 16-24 port PoE for the cameras since they won't really need management. It seems that would allow me to get started with Ubiquity and multiple VLANS but also make the cost much lower than the Ubiquity 48-500 PoE... Thoughts anyone?

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To create a vlan with tag "100", it's one line:
vlan 100

To add an interface to that vlan, it's two lines. Go to your specific interface, then assign the vlan:
interface g1/0/10
switch access vlan 100

So let's say you have a 48-port switch and want to create two vlans, 100 and 200, and put half of the interfaces in each vlan. Here are your commands:

config t
vlan 100
vlan 200
interface range g1/0/1 - 24
switchport access vlan 100
interface range g1/0/25 - 48
switchport access vlan 200
end
write memory

So if you don't count the config and end and save commands, it's 6 lines. The "no shut" command may be needed if the ports were shutdown. Plug your Blie Iris server into both VLANs (like port 24 (vlan 100) and port 25 (vlan 200) ). Your router would connect to one VLAN only.

Think of this configuration as having two separate 24-port switches.
Wow thanks @reflection !!! I didn't expect you to type it all out for me! But that really helps illustrate just how simple it will be. And I may just use those commands if I get the switch....

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you know the reason they sent a 24 port PoE and also an 8 port PoE? Were they both Ubiquity? If you needed a few more ports than 24 was it simply that the 24+8 was more cost effective than the 48 port I guess? Or was there a different reason?

Reason I am asking is because one thing I've considered is a Ubiquity 24 port non-PoE for my managed network and then a simple, cheap, off-brand, non-managed 16-24 port PoE for the cameras since they won't really need management. It seems that would allow me to get started with Ubiquity and multiple VLANS but also make the cost much lower than the Ubiquity 48-500 PoE... Thoughts anyone?
Yes, good question Slugger. The 24 port switch is in the basement close to the USG. My study on the 1st floor has 6 devices plugged into that 8 port switch.

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then I have a firewall and IDS in front of Blue Iris that is layer 2-7 which also enforces some of these rules and more. I posted that in a different thread. But essentially Blue Iris is also restricted from unwanted conversations. For example, when I went to upgrade blue iris to get the sub streams feature, I had to enable a "permit" rule on my firewall to let it talk to get the update, then I disable the "permit" rule once I was done.
@reflection can you direct me to the post where you go into more detail? I just got me this on eBay for $110!:
Cisco WS-C3750X-48PF-S 48-Port Gigabit IP Base Switch w/ 1x C3KX-PWR-1100WAC

I’m about to set it up. I think I may set up the inter-vlan routing sooner than later...

But remind me again what I will gain with the inter-vlan routing versus just vlans and a dual NIC setup on the BI PC?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of the PoE switches with built-in fans aren't so bad. I'd try to avoid passive cooling for something that's on 24/7

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a 3750 10/100 that I have been running for 5 years now. Was considering upgrading to newer switch for power saving. Has anyone tested this switch compared to a newer POE switch?

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for a small (4-6 port) PoE switch to connect 2 or 3 cameras too. I found this on Amazon

TP-Link 5 Port Fast Ethernet 10/100Mbps PoE Switch | 4 PoE Ports @58W | Desktop | Plug & Play | Sturdy Metal w/ Shielded Ports | Fanless | Limited Lifetime Protection | Unmanaged (TL-SF1005P)

For $36.99.

Any ideas on whether this is a OK model? It will be placed in a junction box (sealed) outdoors.

Thank you

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do not think I can afford a Cisco or Ubiquiti switch! So any recommendations for $100 or less would be much appreciated

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had TP-Link 8 port TL-SF1008P for several years with zero problems (4 poe, 4 non-poe). Of course I originally bought one and had to buy a 2nd before long because the camera count multiplied, but adding a 2nd was easy.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had TP-Link 8 port TL-SF1008P for several years with zero problems (4 poe, 4 non-poe). Of course I originally bought one and had to buy a 2nd before long because the camera count multiplied, but adding a 2nd was easy.
Thank you

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one of these (refurb), and it has been working great for two years already. Passive cooling, no fan. I'm planning to add some heatsink, just in case.
I have 11 cameras, one of them is the big 4925 PTZ and two other smaller ptzs.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I had a BV-Tech and gave up on it. The power supply, switching supply by the way, is so weak that it wouldn't start under a load. After one too many power failures it became a brick. At the time I had 11 cameras, none of them PTZ. I replaced it with the 16 port from Nelly's and it starts fine, with a full load.