POE splitter to repair Mini PTZ 10x

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm really confused now... I have added a POE splitter. Camera seems to work fine for some time then stops. I unplug the RJ45 connector and it works again. when online, I can also access the config page via the IP address. when not available in BI, I can't access config page.
One of the RJ45 connector of the camera is all black and may be corroded. I think I will buy and try some Deoxit to see if it helps. The other option is to cut the connector completely and install a new waterproof one (suggestions on coupler/coupler welcome).
I am trying to rule out a problem inside the camera itself. and see if I should concentrate on the connector. Any test or things I should do to rule out internal damage?
The corrosion may have come from a spraywash of the house with bleach while connector was not properly waterproofed. Timing seems to coincide.
Thanks again for all help
You may find that replacing the connector which will get rid of the corrosion you may not need the splitter after all.

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Agreed. But would like to rule out other causes first if I can. and also interested if anyone can recommend a good connector. Especially female one on the camera side. Thanks

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Knock n wood..poe+ here v2..solid performance thus far..i also noted 18 watts

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
MY problem camera V2 10X that died awhile back that I had a temp fixed that last few months finally died for good. No SADP no life no boot, plugged power direct with a 2amp and its dead dead. O well at least the free one Jack sent still works "for now".

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm really confused now... I have added a POE splitter. Camera seems to work fine for some time then stops. I unplug the RJ45 connector and it works again. when online, I can also access the config page via the IP address. when not available in BI, I can't access config page.
One of the RJ45 connector of the camera is all black and may be corroded. I think I will buy and try some Deoxit to see if it helps. The other option is to cut the connector completely and install a new waterproof one (suggestions on coupler/coupler welcome).
I am trying to rule out a problem inside the camera itself. and see if I should concentrate on the connector. Any test or things I should do to rule out internal damage?
The corrosion may have come from a spraywash of the house with bleach while connector was not properly waterproofed. Timing seems to coincide.
I had one that always re-booted I just set all back to factory defaults and was good again. These cameras seems to get bunged up after you do a lot of pre sets. The one I have that still works I only have on three presets that it moves too when motion detected by the Hiks and seems ok now for that last few months.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
MY problem camera V2 10X that died awhile back that I had a temp fixed that last few months finally died for good. No SADP no life no boot, plugged power direct with a 2amp and its dead dead.
What would you want for the system board from it? Or has it been recycled already?

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would consider that if you have any hail Mary ideas for me to try to save it ? Seems you are very good at plugging these in a scrubin the junk out ! which is far beyond my capabilities. I am in Canada where are you located ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in Canada where are you located ?
I'm in Bonny Scotland, quite a distance as the Canada geese fly, we get loads wintering over here in the wetlands of RSPB Vane Farm (qv).
It may be that there is some life in the device yet - but unable to be seen without access to the Linux console. Which unfortunately is less conveniently accessible than on Hikvision products, being via a couple of small test pads on the PCB.
But it's a tiny little board that would fit in a small (padded) envelope, and I know it well.
Just my insatiable curiosity.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It has life as the switch blinks "its alive" but, cannot find on SADP etc. wish there was a reset button inside which I will be looking inside today. Still think these cameras have fantastic image its just the gamble if they stay working or not.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@istreich, How did you make out with this?

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried deoxit and still not working as built in POE. The good news is that it seems pretty stable with the external POE adapter/splitter. I now have two options:
- use the external POE splitter. Seems ok but additional element/point of failure and creates bulk at install site
- cut the connector and try to install new RJ45 connector with the color code above. It will rule out the corroded RJ45 issue but will be a waste of time and possibly a risk if POE module is dead.
Any other suggestions?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Still think these cameras have fantastic image its just the gamble if they stay working or not.
I concur, on both points.
The PoE convertor is just pushing the components a bit too near their boundaries for long-term reliability in high ambients.
One of the RJ45 connector of the camera is all black and may be corroded.
Well, that's got to be a big clue to the root cause of the problem.
Along with -
Sodium Hypochlorite? Wow! Exposed electronics, be gone.

yeme

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your issue is not the same as steves issue..there is no point of cutting anything...simply attach a poe splitter and you are done...For what its worth, in this instance, data and power are transmitted over two twisted pairs (4 wires) the other two pair remain unused.
Another option: If you can identify the unused twisted pairs, clip off the tip of a 12v 2 amp AC to DC power supply, connect it to the unused pair (you will have to terminate new RJ45s on each end). You will be able to use one pair for positive and the other pair for ground. At the camera end, connect the powered tip to the same unused pairs to plug into the camera. This will be clean and you can wrap the connection with 3M Temflex 2155 electrical, waterproof tape. It wraps, stretches and seals nicely for me. It is available at Lowes and HD in the Atlanta area. Finally, you can wrap the final modification with white electrical tape!

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Corroded RJ45 is a recipe for intermittent operation at a minimum. I would fix that before looking elsewhere for a problem.

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great suggestions! I will try those and let you know. Thanks a lot!

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Something strange happening. I have tried two different splitters with the same outcome:
- the camera powers on and I can get a clear image.
- when it powers on, it goes through self test including up/down, left/right, zoom in/out. All fine
HOWEVER, I can't control the camera via PTZ once it has fully booted. I tried both via BlueIris and direct IP. No luck.
It was working fine on another CAT5/6 cable (including PTZ control) that I used for troubleshooting inside.
I don't think it is a power issue as the camera rotates and zooms properly during boot-up process.
I don't think it is an internal issue as the camera works properly while connected on a short cable inside.
I don't think it is a splitter issue as I have tried two and at least one of them was working fine on the short cable inside.
Could it be a damaged connector on the cable outside? Not sure how PTZ commands are transmitted to the camera?
Thanks for all ideas and help.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like wire issue check ends, test and was the outside wire pure copper or CCA copper clad aluminum cause PTZ will require quality wire that did not show up on the shorter one inside. The CCA wire shows its weakness at distance and when driving the motors on the PTZ won't produce. If your wire is true solid copper then you probably have a bad crimp, was it pre made cable ?

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is actually premade cable although it may have been damaged during recent house wash... I will probably cut RJ45 and reterminate to see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

dalepres

n3wb
Reaction score
Your snipe hunting for unicorns.. there are none; zip; zero; ziltch that are even outdoor rated; let alone white..

Amazon has a bunch of 12v POE splitters for you to pick from.

Search around the forums and see what others have done, iirc someone managed to fit the poe splitter inside one of these: Shop CARLON 2" Type-LB Nonmetallic Conduit Body at Lowes.com

Dahua sets the bar for PTZ's, anything they make is going to be leaps and bounds better than that Huisun.. look at there offerings and see if anything meets your needs and budget.
I've looked at Dahua and Hikvision since the majority of my CCTV system is Hikvision. Neither has anything similar to the Huisun cameras in size and form factor. It would be great of either of those brands would produce something in that space. Until then, either Huisun, or one of the similar clones, is the only option. I bought ten of the Huisuns and, of those ten, two have failed over the past year. The rest have, so far, survived the Oklahoma cold winter and the Oklahoma hot summer so I have high hopes for getting a few more years or longer out of them. I also bought two from other vendors that use the same PTZ mount but different cameras/software. Neither of those two have failed but they don't use the Hikvision software so I haven't bought any more of those.

I install all of mine on outdoor junction boxes to protect the wiring after having wires cut in a burglary that prevented me from getting video. (I also now have more cameras and every camera is in view of at least one other camera.) But my failures weren't outdoor corrosion; one failed on the bench - it worked great for a day or two and when I went to install it, it never powered again. The other quit after being in use for 6 months or so. Anyway, the boxes I use (I couldn't find them on lowes.com to link but that's where I get them) have plenty of room for a tp-link POE splitter. I recommend the tp-link and have used several for one-off installations or emergency fixes while building my POE power system. If you search Amazon they do have it in white but, unfortunately, only as a kit with the injector and splitter. So if the OP wants white, buy it and save the injector for emergency power down the line and use the splitter for his application.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.