POE pinout add external MIC

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok installed a POE camera system. Honeywell brand and it had a RCAjack in and out so I installed a external mic and it didn't work. Honeywell said the RCA jacks there are no longer used.
So, scratching my head and rather thenswitch the camera to a POE camera with built in MIC can the pins not used in POE 4578 be used for a ecternal mic and work?
I have searched to no end to see how mic is used on what pins on a POE setup.
Does a POE camera with built in MIC share the 1236 pins or use the 4578 pins?
I am so confused how to add a external mic to a already ran POE cat5 to the non micPOE camera already installed.
I was hoping maybe there is a way to use the normal 1236 pins for the POE camera and pluck out the 4578 wires in the POE camera and swing them to the external MIC to avoid switching the camera to a built in MIC.
Hope this makes sense what I am looking to do.
Quick image below to show what I mean

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does a POE camera with built in MIC share the 1236 pins or use the 4578 pins?
None of these -
The output from the microphone is digitised and just becomes part of the network traffic transmitted down the ethernet cable along with the video stream.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Isn't a POE camera with built in MIC all run from the RJ45 cable? I thought the cat5 rj45 ran power,video,PTZ,audio over the 1 cat5 wire.
and each ran on a pair of wires. What is the sense of the 4578 pins there that don't do nothing. Ideally and just as an example if it worked like this
Blue pair = Power
Orange pair = Video
Green pair = Audio
Brown pair = PTZ
I know the colors are not right above it is just a exampleto how I thought the whole CAT5 RJ45 POE cable was used.
Thats why I asked if there was a set of pins used that could be snatched out of the RG45 and swung over to a microphone rather then get a camera with built in MIC.
If only the 2 pairs are used in a POE system then may as well only use them in 1 RJ45 plug and swing the other 2 pair to a 2nd RJ45 plug to run 2 cameras from 1 CAT5 cable then.
I was hoping the spare wires not used in a POE system that a MIC could be added and gain audio

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
You need the cameras with the s in there part number or run a mic cable back to the audio in on the nvr at the nvr the mic will add audio across the whole channels and mostly use a powerd mic passive are ok but powerd just work a whole lot better

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the cat5 rj45 ran power,video,PTZ,audio over the 1 cat5 wire.
No - cat5e is Ethernet cable, designed for sending network traffic encoded as high frequency differential signals across 2 or 4 twisted pair wires.
The PoE standard takes advantage of the fact that it's easy enough to separate DC from AC and therefore use the wiring for dual purposes.
Of course, network traffic can carry many types of data, including video, audio, etc.

What is the sense of the 4578 pins there that don't do nothing.
These are used for the other signals such that with the additional 2 pairs, ie 4 pairs total, the cable can achieve a Gigabit link speed.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
marku2 the problem is the RCA jacks on the back of the NVR there are 2 of them 1 is MIC in and the other is MIC out.
I ran a power mic to the RCA jack MIC in side and no audio and can't put a check in the checkbox for audio.
Even though there are RCA jacks for MIC audio it seems that Honeywell NVR don't support it from what I heard.
I see you mention doing it this way would record audio across all the channels but for some reason I don't hear live audio while viewing on the monitor but have not tried replay to see if audio is heard.

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No - cat5e is Ethernet cable, designed for sending network traffic encoded as high frequency differential signals across 2 or 4 twisted pair wires.
The PoE standard takes advantage of the fact that it's easy enough to separate DC from AC and therefore use the wiring for dual purposes.
Of course, network traffic can carry many types of data, including video, audio, etc.

These are used for the other signals such that with the additional 2 pairs, ie 4 pairs total, the cable can achieve a Gigabit link speed.
Ok I thought a POE camera with built in MIC only used a CAT5 RJ45 to send power video and audio from the MIC.
I was hoping to add a MIC external to the POE only camera that has no built in MIC.
I assume there is no way to do this then using the CAT5 I already have that is already running the POE camera

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
On my hybrid hickvision I had to tick enable audio to record the powerd mic
Does the camera have its own GUI page that you can access I'm not familiar with honey well

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On my hybrid hickvision I had to tick enable audio to record the powerd mic
Does the camera have its own GUI page that you can access I'm not familiar with honey well
No GUI page that I know of. There is a tick box to check for audio but unable to tick it.
Driving me crazy and trying to avoid changing out the camera to a camera with built in MIC.
Problem is the jobsite is a 1 hour drive away and to keep trying things wastes my time so I was hoping I could get an alternative solution without swaping out the camera with built in camera. I am guessing a built in MIC would in some way send audio to the camera channel over the video twisted pair and hoped I would also be able to cheat and tap into the twisted pair for video and bridge the same pair to the mic and get the same results since the RCA jack don't seem to work for the MIC input

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guess what I am trying to get at here is this camera shown has a built in Microphone and is a POE camera. The power-Video-Audio is sent through the CAT5 cable RJ45 jack
Since my camera does not have a built in MIC and I want to add a MIC away from the camera to pick up better by the cash register I was hoping there was a way to tap into the cat5 wire to send audio from a externalMIC the same way a built-in MIC would send

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately if the camera has no mic you can't add a mic you will need one that has the pig tail with audio the only other way is to install a mic back to the nvr and plug in there
This mini dome has a built in mic and a pig tail for line in mic (must be powered) passive will only work on those that have an rca connection as a pigtail all these Mocs in the pictures need power

Attachments

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately if the camera has no mic you can't add a mic you will need one that has the pig tail with audio the only other way is to install a mic back to the nvr and plug in there
This mini dome has a built in mic and a pig tail for line in mic (must be powered) passive will only work on those that have an rca connection as a pigtail all these Mocs in the pictures need power

Attachments

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
As you can see the little ATM camera has an audio input jack that can use a passive mic but there not as good as a powerd one great for close audio but when your a few feet away forget it
But the one with power has a lot more area to pick up a huge amount to be honest even that mini dome mic is pretty good one its own
Also when adding an external microphone select line in if running back to the nvr and play with the settings ( hikvision give a few settings to play with ) that little ATM cam can take a powerd mic too just use the rca to mini jack adapter as in the photo
Also the pig tail will have audio + and ground the ground is the out side shield and audio is the middle pin
Also use a good quality 12v power supply as not to introduce a ground loop that when you hear a buzzing sound other wise you will need to read about ground loop isolation hope the pictures explain a bit more

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks. The NVR has a MIC in and MIC out but Honeywell claims it is no longer supported so the MIC in didn't get audio. I guess since there is no way to tap into the pins for video which also share audio with cameras having built in MICs then no alternative then to just change the camera with a biult in MIC

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok thanks. The NVR has a MIC in and MIC out but Honeywell claims it is no longer supported so the MIC in didn't get audio. I guess since there is no way to tap into the pins for video which also share audio with cameras having built in MICs then no alternative then to just change the camera with a biult in MIC
Unfortunately that's the only way. hikvision have just released there turrets with an audio in wish it could of been done I have a few older turrets with no audio that I would of loved to tap audio into into

ron351

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's the only way. hikvision have just released there turrets with an audio in wish it could of been done I have a few older turrets with no audio that I would of loved to tap audio into into
Ok yea it is a shame but it is what it is I suppose. Was worth a try anyway.