POE Floodlight/Camera Recommendation?

staind204

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are crazy overpriced. Why dont you just put a box in the soffit for a flood and run ethernet for a poe camera?
That's pretty much what I did. I surface mounted a box for the eufy light. Still can't believe they just had the electrical wire hanging there without a box for the old light.

I already have a poe IPC-Color4K-X bulletcam from Andy in the same area. That camera is amazing by the way. The only constant light it has is off my doorbell yet it almost looks like daytime even in the middle of the night. Easily the best camera I've ever owned, highly recommended!

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Just hear me out. This is possible.

You'll need something to run both the cam and light off the same cable. I recommend this:

POE combiner:

This should provide POE+ for each output at the y-cable. POE+ being 54v 24w (I believe that's the correct voltage).

Plug the camera into one end. Plug one of these into the other end to split get 12v @ 24w:

You'd need to make a small cable that has a keystone/female RJ45 to connect to the POE splitter into the y-cable. Not a major undertaking as connecting a keystone is easier than crimping a male end. Take a small cable and cut the end off and use that for the keystone.

Use one of these to connect the 12v on the POE splitter to the light.

The light: 12v 24w LED flood 2200 lumens

You're really pushing it since the light is the full 24w but, technically, it should be okay.

It's a bit of a DIY project but it would allow you to run the cam and a 2200 lumen floodlight off the same cable run from the NVR/switch.

I run my IR illuminators the same way save for that I don't need the barrel plug adaptors since the IR illuminator has a barrel plug that I connect to the POE splitter.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
A much cheaper light option. Not sure if the two lamps are 24w combined but that's the impression I get. This would provide you more flexibility.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Following CanCuba recommendations, why not building your own lamps around a junction box, installed in the soffit? Using three 7” spot lights will cover enough area, while you may mount your camera in the bottom if needed. I recommend at least 2-Amps power supply for the lamps. Just to show you the idea, only discard the wall mount included in the video. Using the same approach, If you need more powerful floodlights, consider 120Vac lamps, controlled through Shelly switch (TonyR)

Attachments