POE Dahua NVR will be expedient compared to BI?

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know there are multiple posts on the NVR vs BI topic and I'm leaning toward the NVR to save time on build and implementation as well as cost. So I'm asking for guidance with a product/spec. and just want to check what current product would be best to get up and running quickly. A build to run BI which could only work for me if the cost could be contained to a similar level, which I doubt is possible. Maybe in future? One other aspect is integration to smart home scenarios (lighting, locks, alarm, etc.).

The installation is new and all I have at the moment is one IPC-HDW5231R-Z. The plan will be to add 2 or 3 additional cameras which should meet most of my needs for external. The cameras will be front of property, rear of property, and side of property. In future one more external or internal (outbuilding) could be added. I've noticed that Dahua do an IP door bell/viewer which could be of interest. One camera (front) will be continuous recording, others on event trigger. As for an NVR it's borderline for a 4ch and I should be looking at an 8ch. However, up until now I was looking at:

NVR4108-8P-4KS2
NVR4204-P-...

These might not be the latest and greatest, or best bang for the buck so suggestions welcome.

If I read it correctly the NVR4204-P has alarm inputs and the NVR4108-8P-4KS2 does not.
With motion detection what would be the use cases for alarm trigger inputs? Are they needed?
The NVR (or BI) will be in the loft. I'd like to have a remote monitor on HDMI
I understand the NVR config screen is mouse driven is there a way to operate this remotely?
Would I need 4K if so why?
Plan to fit one large hard (4TB) disk initially (would need one week storage to cover holiday away)
I would like to have e-mail alerts for specific events (and ideally monitor cameras via tablet or phone)
Is there any network performance impact using internal vs external POE hub?
Again, some kind of smart home integration in future

ruasonid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
None. I went with BI albeit at slightly higher cost. If I decide in future to use an NVR I can reuse the PC.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will never be happy with an NVR after using Blue Iris
I'm sold! Can you recommend a particular computer? I've got a bunch of Macs here and would like to purchase a PeeCee for BI. Preferred OS for BI? I know there are a vast sea of choices but I thought you would have a specific idea that his high performance and cost effective. Let's assume that I want a dozen 4k cameras in the future.

Thanks,

Rob

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sold! Can you recommend a particular computer? I've got a bunch of Macs here and would like to purchase a PeeCee for BI. Preferred OS for BI? I know there are a vast sea of choices but I thought you would have a specific idea that his high performance and cost effective. Let's assume that I want a dozen 4k cameras in the future.

Thanks,

Rob
Read the wiki at the top of the page.