POE Camera Consistently Going Offline

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have a Dahua NVR4216 and one Dahua POE HDW4300C camera setup. The dome camera is connected to a POE switch and from the POE switch, I have Cat5 running to a Linksys 16 port switch (which is connected to the non-poe side). The camera connects fine using IE and finally got it setup on the NVR, however the camera consistently goes offline after being on for about 30 seconds.

Initially I believed it may be a power issue, even though the Cat5 run is maybe 100ft max. I connected the camera to the Linksys POE switch with about 6ft of Cat5 and it still went offline after about 30 seconds.

When I remove the camera from the NVR setup and just view it via IE, the camera works fine without issues. With the troubleshooting already done, I'm guessing there is a setting between the camera and the NVR that I'm missing.

I did setup the camera with a "static ip" instead of selecting dhcp and have unchecked the "dhcp" setting on the NVR4216. I've read in other places that I need the camera settings to be dhcp instead of static, but can't figure out why that would need to be that way.

Any suggestions or has anyone seen a tutorial out there for setting the NVR up with the camera as I haven't really seen any which were helpful.

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
if you keep a continuous ping open to the camera what do you see? Are you crimping ends, punchdown, or prefab?

http://dahuawiki.com/NVR/Basic_Setup/Add_Dahua_IP_Camera

I have all mine setup for DHCP w/static mapping, too many devices to manually configure everything.
If the ping stays open, i will get an error with either "time out" or "host unreachable." As soon as the camera goes back online (viewing it on monitor) I get a good ping. The type of cables I am using are prefab and all came from Monoprice. I also tested one separately purchased (only 6ft long) and had the same issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by setting it to DHCP w/static mapping. Does that mean your NVR is set to DHCP and your cameras to static?

If the camera is not connected to the NVR and I am only viewing it through IE, with a continuous ping, I don't receive any error.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DHCP with static mapping is using your router (the dhcp server) to permanently assign an IP to a specific MAC.. all devices are configured for DHCP, but nothing will ever change IP's on you.

Reset the camera to defaults, and reset the NVR to defaults through the WebUI and try again.

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
When I reset the camera and go to the TCP/IP settings to modify the last 3 of the IP, there is a checkbox for either DHCP or static, which one do I choose? Also the NVR has a checkbox setting for DHCP, do I leave that checked or unchecked?

Reaction score
On the camera, choose DHCP. This tells the camera to let the router's DHCP server assign the address. Then on the router, you would configure the DHCP server to always assign xxx.yyy.zzz.nnn IP to MAC address AB-CD-EF-GH-IJ-KL, where that is the MAC address of your camera. In this way, you're depending on the generally more reliable router DHCP server, instead of the possibly flaky DHCP or Static IP configuration on the camera.

The DHCP setting on your NVR is strictly for assigning the NVR's IP address on your network.

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
So if I am I understanding you correctly, you're suggesting I set a static IP on my router. If that is the case I know there's been some difficulties since I'm currently using a Motorola nvg510 and they are a pain to work with

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you setup your static network right it shoulda worked, make sure the camera has auto-maintain off and that your NVR is configured to not try to control the camera's time..

also if you have the camera quality maxed out, put it at like half quality and try again.. mebe the NVR is overloading the camera.

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
Camera's auto-maintain is off and the NVR is not trying to control the camera's time. I am using a Motorola NVG 510 and I don't believe I can setup a static network with that router, again if that is what you are implying nayr

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you specify a range of DHCP leases on your router? ie, 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200 ? If so make sure the static ip addresses you setup directly on your Camera and NVR are outside that range.. otherwords the dhcp server will assign the IP to something else and cause a conflict.

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
camera-modem settings.jpgI shortened the DHCP lease from 192.168.1.64-253 down to 64-101. With the camera's TCP/IP settings selected as DHCP and an address set outside the dhcp release, I viewed the camera and then added the camera to the nvr. After a few seconds, the camera went offline. When I went back into the camera config software, the IP was changed to an address within the dhcp lease. Sorry for the trouble as networking is definitely my weak point when it comes to computers.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
uncheck enable arp/ping, set it to static: 192.168.1.200/255.255.255.0 gw/dns: 192.168.1.254

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, followed you steps for unchecking arp/ping and then checking static and entering the ip address with 200 followed by subnet gateway and dns, however camera still goes offline after a few seconds, yet works fine when viewing it through Internet Explorer. When the camera goes offline, while viewing it on the nvr, i attempt to ping the address, but i get an error. After approximately 30 seconds, the camera becomes available and i am able to successfully ping it.

i just removed the camera again from the NVR and left a continuous ping on the camera, knowing it's working because i'm viewing it through IE and the pings are fine.

Gus_19

n3wb
Reaction score
Boom! The NVR reset did the trick. So far so good. Camera has only been active for about 5 minutes, but it would always drop out after 10 seconds before. Thank you very much for your help!

So I am clear on how or why things are done (as I feel I have a better grasp than just following instructions), why set the camera to an address with 200? Is it just because it's that far away from the leased DHCP address's? I am also wondering what I should do, regarding the address for additional camera's? Just continue with 201,202 etc....?

Thank you again! And on another note, you tried helping me with a previous camera problem. After a lengthy troubleshooting time, I determined the camera just died and was no longer working (minus having power). The company has sent me a replacement which should be in shortly.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah you want to keep the cameras out of the lease range since you are manually configuring them w/static addresses.. its up to you now to prevent reuse (2 devices w/same IP).. just keep going up from 200, you can go up to 253.