Playback Finished Abnormally

Scudrunner

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings again, everyone.

Since I had such great success here with my last question I would like to ask one more if I may. We are having an issue with another Alibi Witness (rebranded Hik). It's the only location where we have ever had this problem. Upon playback, the playback continually stops and pops up an error that says:

Note, Camera 6 (or whatever camera) playback finished abnormally)
1633805146744.png

Tech support was useless. They sent a new NVR, but failed to RMA the hard drive. The replacement NVR displayed the same issues, but it also had other issues so we sent it back and kept the old one. We don't see issues on Live View, so a replacement hard drive is on the way.

All that said, while I have seen this happen on the LAN, I still feel like it's more prone across the VPN tunnels or on the Cloud app.

A ping loop running to the NVR across the tunnels will not show any drops during the crash, and we have numerous others running across the same VPN WAN.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Scudrunner

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems that if we set Protocol to UDP, we can stream the playback reliably, then cannot view the Live View feed. If set to TCP we can view the Live View, but Playback crashes like a Kennedy at bar close randomly. There is also a delay when moving the time bar on playback that we don't see on our other NVRs. If for instance I was viewing 0200, and slid the time selection to 0215, the bar would jump back to 0200 until it processed the request and then jump forward. On other other NVRs, it would sit at 0215 and wait to start playing. I'm not sure if this is symptomatic of a setting that needs to be changed.

Scudrunner

n3wb
Reaction score
For anyone else encountering this, it would appear that at least from the IE browser level. First, I'll mention that this is only happening in our NVRs with later Firmware. The units with the older firmware are unaffected.

In later firmware, under Local there is an HTTP setting for the stream. Switching to this resolves the issues. However, there is an added item that needs to be noted. In earlier firmware, we didn't have the HTTP option. So if, like me, you have IE opened with several NVRs pulled up, if you go to the NVR with the later firmware, and look at Configuration, it will show HTTP selected as the protocol. If you now switch to an NVR with the earlier firmware and go to the Local page, there will be no radio buttons showing for a selection as the options are just TCP, UDP, and Multicast. That said, it still works, but if you select a protocol in the older firmware, it will change how it's displayed in the later firmware as you're not changing things on the NVR itself, but rather in your local computers settings of how to interact with the NVR.

So all that said, log into the NVR with the later firmware. Go to the Local configurations, set to HTTP, and don't make any alterations to the protocol while logged into the older NVRs. I hope this made sense.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If for instance I was viewing 0200, and slid the time selection to 0215, the bar would jump back to 0200 until it processed the request and then jump forward. On other other NVRs, it would sit at 0215 and wait to start playing. I'm not sure if this is symptomatic of a setting that needs to be changed.
One of the many quirks of the Hikvision NVR4.x firmware which exist in various forms across the many versions of that firmware.

Scudrunner

n3wb
Reaction score
That's good to know. Of course, support said, "We've never seen that before." I get so tired of hearing that.

Thanks for the insight.

Scudrunner

n3wb
Reaction score
Update:

Well, sorry to have to post this update if you've been dealing with this problem. The fix works for the offending unit. If you select HTTP under Local, it'll work. The problem is that when you go back and playback on an NVR with the older, more reliable firmware, your local machine will switch back to TCP as the Local setting as the older systems don't have HTTP as a radio button option. So every time you switch back and forth between browser tabs, you'll have to go back into Configuration > Local and reset to HTTP to watch a playback.