Opinions Please: Stranger Exercises on My Front Porch, Farts, Then Leaves

Reaction score
Last Thursday a stranger walked up to my front porch, does some stretching exercises using the columns and windowsill as supports, looks around and then leaves. Just before he left, he pulled out keys from his pocket as if he was going to open the front door but pauses, turns around and leaves. Here is a capture of the keys in his hand.
Keys.jpg

Unfortunately, I was in the shower at the time, so I did not see the alerts until he was long gone. He was fairly obvious in observing the cameras on the porch and the LPR cams in the box along the walkway. I had never seen this guy before and have not seen him since. I checked out where he came from by looking at the overview and LPR cams. He had come down the street (from the East) and as he got to the intersection he stopped and took a picture of my house with his cell phone. Below is a pic of him taking the photo and what view he would have captured.

takes picture.jpg viewpoint.jpg

Upon further review of that morning's alerts, he was observed walking up the street (from the West) passed my house about 30 minuets prior. When he passed, he really did not look at my house and was on the opposite side of the street.

Here is the video.

Please let me know what you think of this guy. I am not sure if he was up to no good or if he was just at the wrong house. He does seem confused at times. Maybe he was visiting someone in the neighborhood and went for a walk and got turned around. He does consult his phone several times. As he was leaving, you can see he consults his phone and looks around like he is lost, making false starts in both directions. When he takes out his keys as he approaches the front door, he pauses and looks confused. A couple of my friends think he was casing the place to come back and rob later.

This has freaked out my wife a little bit. Enough that she had me put UI3 on her desktop with a window of the front door.

Let me know your opinions here. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One could certainly make an argument either way.

I could make the argument he was visiting someone in the neighborhood and got confused on which house.

I could make the argument he stiffened up and has zero personal space awareness and simply used your house to stretch out on. I have had neighbors do that or walk their dog right up to my house like WTF.

I could also make the argument he was casing you out.

He certainly gives off vibes of all three things. I was leaning towards a visitor to someone in the neighborhood that got lost and poor situational awareness, but taking the picture is the odd thing, especially since from the view you took of what he took a picture of, it isn't like you are decked out like the Griswalds or anything that would be photo worthy?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of these should do the trick.

I used that (except a cheaper one LOL) on my neighbor that has zero situational awareness and would walk right up to the side of my house with his dog. One squirt and it hasn't happened again.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
One of these should do the trick.

Well I don't want to soak delivery people or friends that stop by. I did get a couple of packages that same day. If I was not in the shower at the time, I would have seen him and asked what he wanted.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm torn 50/60 between casing your place or suffering from Alzheimer's or dementia.

At the times when it appears he could be casing, he may be trying to gather himself.

When he goes to the door with his keys in his hand, he genuinely does look shocked or surprised.

Keep an eye out and keep this up to date!

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last Thursday a stranger walked up to my front porch, does some stretching exercises using the columns and windowsill as supports, looks around and then leaves. Just before he left, he pulled out keys from his pocket as if he was going to open the front door but pauses, turns around and leaves. Here is a capture of the keys in his hand.
View attachment 179801

Unfortunately, I was in the shower at the time, so I did not see the alerts until he was long gone. He was fairly obvious in observing the cameras on the porch and the LPR cams in the box along the walkway. I had never seen this guy before and have not seen him since. I checked out where he came from by looking at the overview and LPR cams. He had come down the street (from the East) and as he got to the intersection he stopped and took a picture of my house with his cell phone. Below is a pic of him taking the photo and what view he would have captured.

View attachment 179802 View attachment 179803

Upon further review of that morning's alerts, he was observed walking up the street (from the West) passed my house about 30 minuets prior. When he passed, he really did not look at my house and was on the opposite side of the street.

Here is the video.

Please let me know what you think of this guy. I am not sure if he was up to no good or if he was just at the wrong house. He does seem confused at times. Maybe he was visiting someone in the neighborhood and went for a walk and got turned around. He does consult his phone several times. As he was leaving, you can see he consults his phone and looks around like he is lost, making false starts in both directions. When he takes out his keys as he approaches the front door, he pauses and looks confused. A couple of my friends think he was casing the place to come back and rob later.

This has freaked out my wife a little bit. Enough that she had me put UI3 on her desktop with a window of the front door.

Let me know your opinions here. Thanks.
That's just EmpireTech Andy checking out the cams you got from him, lol.

All serious, that's messed up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK here is a thought.

Your vehicle is one of the top stolen vehicles.

Maybe that is what he is scouting for.

He didn't expect all those cameras, so once he saw them he made the decision to commit to the act belonging there and acting like he's never stretched a day in his life.

And for good measure he played the I'm comfortable and belong routine and pulled out the keys to sell the story to a passerby and look like a confused visitor to you.

He doesn't care his face is recognized as he is just the spotter and the car thief experts will be back one night soon.

He is part of the Asian mob and your vehicle will be on a boat to Asia by the end of the week...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At this point I wonder out of abundance of caution if you post an image to your local NextDoor or community page and see if anyone recognizes him as "belonging" back there as either a visitor to their house or a new homeowner?

And maybe concurrently send it to the local authorities? If it is crime ring they may recognize him.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on how busy your street is, I would start looking at the vehicles that passed you and see if you see him in it.

That is where the LPR utility many of use comes in handy! I can quickly look at the log and see which cars are neighbors or frequents like delivery and which ones this was their first or X time past my house.