OpenALPR Webhook Processor for IP Cameras

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Open ALPR has been working great so far, it seems to miss a plate every now and then that Rekor dashboard shows but otherwise very pleased. One odd thing is the actual Rekor agent 'alprd.exe' seems to stop running once a week, in fact I am sure it happens between Friday night and Saturday morning, very odd, I restart it and all is good. Did apply 'Restart On Crash' application to prevent this but may need to run it as a Windows service since it failed again last night. I have not forgotten the Windows guide and will get onto this.
If Rekor shows plates in the online dashboard but his service didn't pick them up, then there must be a break somewhere in the communication occasionally. Either the webhook isn't making it to you or the webhook service you run was down on your end when the webhook was sent. At one time he was going to implement a "hydrating" function which would have meant we could have avoided using the webhook entirely. It would have allowed the use the API to get the requisite records but you have to have the commercial account to have access to the API so the webhook is still needed for those of us on the cheaper home account.

I run the Rekor agent from Linux so I can't help with issues running it on Windows. I will say its rock solid on Linux. I've never had it crash that I'm aware of.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can run the "scrape" function to get all of the plates in the rekor agent that aren't already in the openalpr processor database

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can run the "scrape" function to get all of the plates in the rekor agent that aren't already in the openalpr processor database
Thanks, for some reason I get an error when running that now...

1631980038740.png

OpenALPR gets 99.9% of the plates but now and then misses one that Rekor captures.

CamCrazy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If Rekor shows plates in the online dashboard but his service didn't pick them up, then there must be a break somewhere in the communication occasionally. Either the webhook isn't making it to you or the webhook service you run was down on your end when the webhook was sent. At one time he was going to implement a "hydrating" function which would have meant we could have avoided using the webhook entirely. It would have allowed the use the API to get the requisite records but you have to have the commercial account to have access to the API so the webhook is still needed for those of us on the cheaper home account.

I run the Rekor agent from Linux so I can't help with issues running it on Windows. I will say its rock solid on Linux. I've never had it crash that I'm aware of.
It is odd, so far as I can tell it is 99.9% good but with that being said if I spot the odd one here and there it could well be missing more. Damn Windows :lmao:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
make sure you have debug enabled on your agent, should look like this
1631983690199.png

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you visit the Plates page now it no longer shows the list of recent plates. Is this intentional? I preferred it to show the recent plates.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Isn't OpenALPR open source and just a thin wrapper around OpenCV? Why mess with trying to integrate with Rekor's client rather than just implementing a new wrapper around OpenCV?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The OpenALPR opensource code is quite old isn't it?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Isn't OpenALPR open source and just a thin wrapper around OpenCV? Why mess with trying to integrate with Rekor's client rather than just implementing a new wrapper around OpenCV?
They stopped updating openalpr a few years ago. their closed source code base is much more accurate and efficient at finding plates. Also I have no interest in learning OpenCV.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They stopped updating openalpr a few years ago. their closed source code base is much more accurate and efficient at finding plates. Also I have no interest in learning OpenCV.
What do you base this one and where have they stated they are no longer using OpenCV? I was using OpenALPR locally hosted on their trial 2 years ago and it was 99% on plate recognition with low cpu usage. OpenCV takes the entire video stream and not just snapshots.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right from their webpage; and from Github, it looks like OpenALPR Open Source was last modified 4 years ago.

OpenALPR uses the entire video stream. It is locally hosted, but with an internet connection needed to keep the application running.

1632942691092.png

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Right from their webpage; and from Github, it looks like OpenALPR Open Source was last modified 4 years ago.

OpenALPR uses the entire video stream. It is locally hosted, but with an internet connection needed to keep the application running.

View attachment 103198
The last pull request was slightly over a year ago.

The product has not changed since so why would they keep updating it? Where is the evidence that they switched over to their own proprietary image recognition library?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where did I say they stopped using OpenCV? Look at their changelog, none of these performance or usability changes are being pushed back to their open source code Rekor Documentation

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That pull request isn’t a release either. Their newest official commercial image is only three months old (4.1.1) compared to the latest open source release that is 4 years old.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
trying to do my first time setup. running in docker. just not sure how to configure it to work it cloud.

endpoint URL?
1633054937529.png

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if you hover over the question marks it will show you were to get each of the fields from. endpoint url is the endpoint of the rekor agent that is running on your local network.