OpenALPR Webhook Processor for IP Cameras

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I saw that in his wiki and made the change. I got my first plate hit and plate into the Database. But I'm not getting any images on this screen.

Plus I think I have my camera setup but not sure what should be in the Camera Text Overlay URL. When I press test on the camera setup I dont get anything returned.

View attachment 81813

View attachment 81812
The address looks correct. Are you sure you have the user/pass right? Here is the camera URL I use for the same camera:
Did you enable the webserver on your OpenALPR watchman agent? That has to be done so pictures can be accessed since that is where they are stored. If you right click on one of those missing pictures and copy the address, can you paste it in a new browser tab and load the picture that way or does the picture not load still?

You need this line in your alprd.conf file in order to have the webserver active on the Watchman agent: web_server_enabled = 1. Restart the Watchman once you add that line.

Tim McMullin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The address looks correct. Are you sure you have the user/pass right? Here is the camera URL I use for the same camera:
Did you enable the webserver on your OpenALPR watchman agent? That has to be done so pictures can be accessed since that is where they are stored. If you right click on one of those missing pictures and copy the address, can you paste it in a new browser tab and load the picture that way or does the picture not load still?

You need this line in your alprd.conf file in order to have the webserver active on the Watchman agent: web_server_enabled = 1. Restart the Watchman once you add that line.
I haven't enabled the webserver on my agent. Not sure how to edit the alprd.conf file. I have a feeling its a docker command some where/how

If I copy and paste the address I still can't view the images.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are running the Docker agent, then you have to exec into the running container, modify the file, and then restart the container. Steps are as follows:

1. docker exec -it <CONTAINER NAME> /bin/bash
  2. cd /etc/openalpr (change into directory of the .conf file we need to modify)
  3. cp /etc/openalpr/alprd.conf /etc/openalpr/alprd.conf.backup (make a backup of .conf file in case we screw up)
  4. echo 'web_server_enabled = 1' >> alprd.conf (append the needed line to the bottom of the file)
  5. more alprd.conf (verify line was added to bottom)
  6. exit
Then restart the container with docker restart <container name>. See if the images work now.

Last edited:

Tim McMullin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the brief tutorial for Docker/Linux, it's been a while but things are slowly coming back to me. I edited the file alprd.conf and verified that it was there, restarted both containers but still didn't see the images

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the brief tutorial for Docker/Linux, it's been a while but things are slowly coming back to me. I edited the file alprd.conf and verified that it was there, restarted both containers but still didn't see the images
Then double check you have all the settings entered properly in his service GUI. Images do work so something is misconfigured somewhere.

Also clear your browser cache and try to copy paste the image location in a new tab again and see if you see it.

Tim McMullin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your help. After spending the day figuring out how Docker and trying to remember my Linux commands I finally got it to work and show the plate images. Now I have to figure out the camera stuff, which I assume I only need it if I want to have the overlays, correct?

Another question... I think I saw some where amongst the past 33 pages that there is a hydrate button. Is there a way to hydrate the DB with all of the plates the the agent knows about?

Thanks

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Hydrate was taken out. I think he was working on it again but haven’t heard anything from him in a while. He is still uploading new alphas to Docker Hub so development is active but no announcement as to what is going on so I’m sticking with the version I have currently so I don’t break anything.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok I have the day/night scheduling working, alerting will currently show up in your browser, text and email is next. lenient/strict matching is in place as well. gotta test it first.

hydration only works if you are running an on prem copy of openalpr web server, or are subscribed to openalpr business plan, otherwise you can't access the api to extract plate information.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Really cool! You have been busy!

First things first on alpha15 there is a CPU issue. The service is pegging the two vCores I have assigned in the VM to 100%. (I tried reverting back to 3.2.4 after I discovered the CPU issue but all my plate records are gone on that version so it appears that once you move to the 3.2.5-alpha versions you can't go back to 3.2.4).

Screenshot from 2021-02-07 20-48-15.png

Alerting looks good. That big bright yellow bar really jumps out at you!

I can't figure out how to do lenient correctly I guess as I don't get matches using it with mis-typed plates. For example, I have a recorded plate as "HQGOV". I can type in the first few letters like "HQ" or "HQG" and get a match without lenient. If I check lenient and then type in something like "HQGV' I don't get any matches. So I'm not sure what it's actually looking for.

Love being able to toggle overlays. I see you have the camera sunrise/sunset ability as well. It looks like the granularity for offsets are only in 1 hour increments though. I flip my cameras ~20 minutes before/after sunrise/sunset so it doesn't appear I can use it quite yet since 1 hour increments are too large.

Its really coming along man. You have done a fabulous job!

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
v3.2.5-alpha17 appears to fix the CPU issue. Thanks for the quick fix!

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the scheduling appears to be working correctly, i am still working on some datetime formatting issues. preview images will now pull straight from the camera for non alpr cameras. alpr cameras will pull the latest scanned plate. day/night mode is working for both hikvision and dahua cameras.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw you fixed the HTTPS issue for previews on the last captured plates in the Camera Settings.

I've not messed with the daytime/night switch yet since it appeared the offset is limited to 1 hour increments. Is that still the case? Is lenient searching still a work in progress?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Something is screwy. I'm not getting plates any longer. I'm getting an "Unknown camera - Skipping" in the log files on alpha27. I also can't remove cameras again and the Model Number field won't save after a restart of the container. It comes up again blank after container restart.

Edit: So I was able to edit the camera and under the Overlay Toggle, the OpenALPR Name and ID were blank. Don't know how but they were. After filling those back in, I'm getting plates again. However, I think those two fields need to be moved out from under the Overlay Toggle since that toggle is optional and people may never go in there. Those two fields are required in order for the system to work but they are hidden behind that Overlay toggle. I only happened across them because I was looking everywhere as to why the logs were telling me I had an "Unknown camera".

Also, overlays can't be turned off currently. I have the toggle "unchecked" but I'm still getting overlays on my LPR camera (I only have one single camera in the system currently).

I'm not sure if deleting a camera works or doesn't at this point as I don't want to screw anything up since I have it recording plates again!

Last edited:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
offsets are now in minutes, fixed the time stamp showing up correctly 1612930200211.png

overlays will no longer show for cameras that have overlays disabled.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
How does timezone offset work with DST? For example, I'm in Central time so I would use "-4" now but when DST goes into effect next month will that be a different number or will it always be "-4"?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i'm not sure if c# DateTimeOffset handles dst or not

Tim McMullin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using Docker on Windows 10 and my data isn't persistent. How do I keep my database and setting there after I've rebooted my machine.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I am using Docker on Windows 10 and my data isn't persistent. How do I keep my database and setting there after I've rebooted my machine.
What does your Docker file look like that you are using to run the container? You have a config folder mapped to keep the required .dbs in it?

Last edited:

Tim McMullin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What does your Docker file look like that you are using to run the container? You have a config folder mapped to keep the required .dbs in it?

I am using the command you gave me.

docker run -d --name=openalprwebhookprocessor --restart unless-stopped --net=bridge -v /home/joe/webhook_alpr/app/config/:/app/config/ -p 3859:80 mlapaglia/openalprwebhookprocessor:v3.2.4

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well that /home/joe/webhook directory is specific to my machine. If your login isn't joe and you don't use Linux then you probably don't even have that directory. You need to create a directory that the container can write its .db files to that is on your machine.

If using Linux, then create a directory structure like: /home/<user>/webhook_alpr/app/config/ for yourself.