Offsite NVR, is it possible??

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can I have my NVR, lets say, at my house recording the footage at my store location? I don't want to have my NVR onsite. Is it possible to forward the camera feed via RTSP and opening some ports or something to my NVR offsite?

Yes, I know I can have email alarm notifications, Mobile viewing on mobile device, and all other features. But, I'd like to specifically know if there is a way to keep my NVR at my house recording the feed from my store location.

Thanks!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I have my NVR, lets say, at my house recording the footage at my store location? I don't want to have my NVR onsite. Is it possible to forward the camera feed via RTSP and opening some ports or something to my NVR offsite?

Yes, I know I can have email alarm notifications, Mobile viewing on mobile device, and all other features. But, I'd like to specifically know if there is a way to keep my NVR at my house recording the feed from my store location.

Thanks!!
You can, the problem is that each camera will be transmitting data 24/7, this can use up tons of bandwidth (depending on the bitrate set) and may max out your ISP's limitations...

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool! Thank you! Would you know how it can be done? Or even just a general concept? I am not worried too much about the bandwidth.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool! Thank you! Would you know how it can be done? Or even just a general concept? I am not worried too much about the bandwidth.
Two ways. The first is optimal.
1) setup a vpn.
2) Forward the home cameras.
You should be worried about bandwidth...4 cameras transmitting at a 4096 bitrate will use 5TB per month...your isp is going to shut you down pretty quickly.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, Is there a thread on how to create a vpn for my cameras? Is there a thread on how to forward cameras? I just want to avoid having an NVR onsite. Is there any better solution for recording offsite?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, Is there a thread on how to create a vpn for my cameras? Is there a thread on how to forward cameras? I just want to avoid having an NVR onsite. Is there any better solution for recording offsite?
There is not thread for vpn, but its a basic networking concept...so you need to research it.
There are many threads on forwarding but remember it is not a very secure method.
If you are worried about NVR theft, just buy a second cheap NVR and hide it somewhere in the house. That is the BEST solution. This will give you true redundancy.
You can also use VMS software like blue iris to record clips and immediately upload them..this way you only upload on motion detection to avoid much of the data use.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its not NVR theft or damage I am afraid of. I am trying to test this method to see how efficient it is. My end goal is to have future clients NOT have an NVR. Once I sell a full system to a client, thats it. Done. What I want to do is sell clients a monthly service. You have cameras at your location, recording offsite, in order for you to have your cameras recording, you pay a monthly fee.
example... what sounds better for a client.

8 cam system with nvr for, lets say, $3000
or
leased, 8 cam system, no NVR, $500 installed and $30 a month for at least 2 years (or until they decide to "buy out" the system which then I would sell them an NVR along with the already installed equipment)

I dont want to sell systems, I want to sell an RMR service.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its not NVR theft or damage I am afraid of. I am trying to test this method to see how efficient it is. My end goal is to have future clients NOT have an NVR. Once I sell a full system to a client, thats it. Done. What I want to do is sell clients a monthly service. You have cameras at your location, recording offsite, in order for you to have your cameras recording, you pay a monthly fee.

or
leased, 8 cam system, no NVR, $500 installed and $30 a month for at least 2 years (or until they decide to "buy out" the system which then I would sell them an NVR along with the already installed equipment)

You will not be able to do this. Your internet connection would choke. You would need a system that only sends the feed on motion and use a low bitrate. Even then you need a professional back end and data center. This is way beyond your capability.
Also, this type of "service" is really a disservice to the end user. Their internet connection would be jammed up, they would possibly be cutoff or throttled by their ISP and their system is now dependent on the internet connection working.
I see you have asked this question a number of times...its simply not doable without a significant investment and the technical skill to set it up. Some of these type of services use the cameras built in motion detection via the ftp function and are basically slightly more advanced FTP servers. You would need to use cameras that have the ability to send video via ftp. Hikvision for example does not.

Bizentech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I have, using a different approach. I appreciate your in site. I do not know the bandwidth the cameras upload. I'll have to think of a different approach. At the end of the day, I want my clients to be happy with what they are paying for.

zmx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
error

Last edited by a moderator:

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For an un-monitored system like what you described, you would need an NVR as well as real motion detection for intrusion detection.
So you would be monitoring the intrusion detection system for activations, upon an activation you then remote in via IVMS for real time viewing which you then pull the clips, contact the clients and call the police.

As fenderman has said your ISP would shut you down within a month even with a private wire. Your only viable option is a directed fibre connection but I don't think your clients would be happy paying that sort of money.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As fenderman has said your ISP would shut you down within a month even with a private wire. Your only viable option is a directed fibre connection but I don't think your clients would be happy paying that sort of money.
Yeah, sell my house to fund the security camera system from a guy who had to ask on an internet forum if it was even possible to build.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Comcast would love you.... :) 300gb cap, with $10.00 per 50 gb overage and your customers sending 8tb of data every month... Hmm...
Don't they have a more expensive unlimited plan? Or am I thinking of some other ISP? NONE of the major nation-wide ISPs are available where I have ever lived anyway...

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't they have a more expensive unlimited plan? Or am I thinking of some other ISP? NONE of the major nation-wide ISPs are available where I have ever lived anyway...

Yes, I guess they do, till you start pumping 6-8 TB through... I Live in the "sticks" 3m DSL, it is unlimited... Lucky to have that. LMAO...

Here is my cloud solution, I view mine remotely with 5 minute updates... www.crowderfarm.com

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score

or

If your installing cameras, one little NVR added to the mix is a plus for clients. If I'm a client, I'd choose your competitor who includes NVR