NVR what battery backup

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have had power flicker at house a couple times now and my APC 550 has not kept NVR on.
Put in with system 15 months ago.
What backup do you guys use for your system?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not had very good luck with Cyber Power, my main complaint is they do not start automatically when the power comes back on.
I use APC sine wave units, and have had great luck. Triplite also has done good, I have one at a tower site that has been in use for 7 years with only battery change outs. With all of the lightning at a tower site, UPS systems are taxed to the limit.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have not had very good luck with Cyber Power, my main complaint is they do not start automatically when the power comes back on.
I use APC sine wave units, and have had great luck. Triplite also has done good, I have one at a tower site that has been in use for 7 years with only battery change outs. With all of the lightning at a tower site, UPS systems are taxed to the limit.
Almost verbatim to my experience. Power surge from utility went thru the month-old CyberPower like a straight wire and fried a equally new 65" Sony UltraHD 4K/3D TV.
My year old APC is sine wave also. Household has a total of 3 APC units now. Had a TrippLite for 8 years and 3 batteries....never failed, just needed more than 800VA.
Blue Iris PC, personal PC and TV/satellite receiver/DVR each have their own, dedicated APC UPS.
If I leave home or know if lightning's on the way I still unplug stuff!

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.
I made a mistake I thought I put it in with the system 15 months ago but went back and looked it's right at 4 years old.
the way my cabinet set up I am limited to size so still looking.

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cabinet is 16 inches deep and need room for plugs in back. So maybe 14 deep at most.
I could turn sideways on lower shelf but could not see display.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cabinet is 16 inches deep and need room for plugs in back. So maybe 14 deep at most.
Insure that cabinet is ventilated so UPS won't overheat...maybe an open back or ?
I could turn sideways on lower shelf but could not see display.
By "sideways" if you mean sitting on its side that could defeat an important cooling feature:
Most are designed to sit upright to allow convection cooling; the warm air rises, draws in cooler air at bottom vent, exhausts warm air at top vent.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
At 4 years the batteries will have lost a fair bit of capacity.
It would be worth checking for that model if they are replaceable.

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been using 3 CyberPower 1500VA and 1350VA, 2 are PFC models. Never saw your problem that it did not start automatically which sound very strange to me because they always started right the way even after I or my kid unplugged the power accidentally and plugged it back.

Never had a problem with my CyberPowers, they kept my NVR, POE cameras, network equipments, PS4 and PC servers running.
Had only used APC 300-500VA before, those are the lower end models, so can't really compare.

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Insure that cabinet is ventilated so UPS won't overheat...maybe an open back or ?

By "sideways" if you mean sitting on its side that could defeat an important cooling feature:
Most are designed to sit upright to allow convection cooling; the warm air rises, draws in cooler air at bottom vent, exhausts warm air at top vent.
The cabinet has a auto cooling draw fan set at 85 max.
By sitting sideways, it will be upright just sitting side to side instead of front to back. That would put display facing the side of cabinet and I would not be able to see it.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
related to this post. . .
Has anyone tried tieing in additional external batteries (or a larger capacity battery) to an APC unit. Many years ago I had gigantic 2 volt cells that I series and connected to an old UPS. Seemed to work and would like to extend my ups' battery run time that I use for my NAS, switches and backup computer.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In January I picked up two CyberPower UPS - Model #SL750U (750VA). Was $69.99 on sale. Now $79.99.
I needed a compact UPS to fit the narrow depth of a structured media cabinet, 3.5" depth.
I've been looking for a UPS with this form factor for years and gave up. Somehow stumbled on this new model. So happy.
Have one installed in a modem cabinet in the laundry room and also in a new POE cabinet in the garage. So far so good.
Also have two APC UPS for desktop protection.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Been using 3 CyberPower 1500VA and 1350VA, 2 are PFC models. Never saw your problem that it did not start automatically which sound very strange to me because they always started right the way even after I or my kid unplugged the power accidentally and plugged it back.

Never had a problem with my CyberPowers, they kept my NVR, POE cameras, network equipments, PS4 and PC servers running.
Had only used APC 300-500VA before, those are the lower end models, so can't really compare.
Maybe I should clarify, I have a problem with my Cyber Power when the electricity goes out, and the UPS runs the battery all the way down. When power comes back it will not automatically restart. you have to push the power button to bring it back on line.
I do IT work and have several of them that I put, until we had a power outage long enough to find the problem. I had to drive 70 miles to push the power button before the servers could boot up and come back on line. This caused almost 2 hours of down time in an office of about 90 employees. With that much at stake, it is well worth making sure the UPS will come back on line automatically.
I also lost power at my house while I was on a cruise, after 6+ hours, I lost battery power. When the power came back on line, APC UPS and everything came back up with no problems.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
related to this post. . .
Has anyone tried tieing in additional external batteries (or a larger capacity battery) to an APC unit. Many years ago I had gigantic 2 volt cells that I series and connected to an old UPS. Seemed to work and would like to extend my ups' battery run time that I use for my NAS, switches and backup computer.
I have added external power to an 1500 watt UPS. I wired 2 Optima SC34DM batteries up, but found the batteries are not grounded. When the UPS is making power from the batteries, you to get a good shock if you touch the terminals. I got a metal box to house the batteries. FYI, it takes forever to charge them back up.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve had APC for many years but feel like they are over priced at this point. Have used the Cyber Power units for the last few years and very happy with their performance

CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1000VA/600W, 10 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower,Black

CyberPower AVRG750LCD Intelligent LCD UPS System, 750VA/450W, 12 Outlets, AVR, Compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.