NVR SUGGESTION, Camera / NVR compatibility and motion detection questions.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a cheap sannce NVR and cameras. the motion detection absolutely sucks balls. someone can walk right in front of the camera and the motion detection will not pick them up, then at other times the motion detection will trigger for seemingly no reason.

Anyway, i assume this is an issue with the NVR and not the cameras so the first thing i want to do is upgrade the NVR and then cameras later. The cameras i have now are OK.. cheap 2MP poe hikvision copies.

The NVR im thinking about is the DAHUA NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2, then will get starlight cameras later.

Main questions :

1. Will this Dahua NVR detect motion events with total reliability? or is this crappy motion detection an IP camera thing? my last system was a old analog system, but it picked up motions really well.

2. will my existing camera work with the dahua NVR? the spec sheet on the cameras says they are onvif 2.4

would anyone suggest a different NVR or is this dahua model sufficient?

thanks for any help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Clean,

From the numerous reviews and reading I did before purchasing the Dahua OEM products recommended by others more knowledgeable than I here I found that:

Sannce / Annke and others can not be trusted with their claims.

Systems they would label as PoE may in fact not be. ( look for s PoE or simplified PoE in the details for this )

Thus I would recommend be careful with setting your expectations with that kit.

Also, note that a lot of the lifting in the IP PoE camera world can be done by the cameras themselves, and thus the NVR can actually be processing less than more traditional DVRs.

If you want the "NVR" to be the major processing unit, look at Blue Iris and see if those cameras have been confirmed by other users to work with Blue Iris.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway, i assume this is an issue with the NVR and not the cameras
My understanding, and experience, is that the cameras create the events, send notifications to the NVR / CMS for it to take some pre-confgured action such as recording.
cheap 2MP poe hikvision copies
Do you mean OEM versions?
In order not to be disappointed with another NVR, it might be interesting to check out the camera's logs to see if they are actually generating any motion detection events. The NVR won't do any recording unless it's notified of an event.
my last system was a old analog system, but it picked up motions really well.
The video analytics would be handled in the DVR in that case.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My understanding, and experience, is that the cameras create the events, send notifications to the NVR / CMS for it to take some pre-confgured action such as recording.

Do you mean OEM versions?
In order not to be disappointed with another NVR, it might be interesting to check out the camera's logs to see if they are actually generating any motion detection events. The NVR won't do any recording unless it's notified of an event.

The video analytics would be handled in the DVR in that case.

OK so by the sounds of it basically buy new cameras and NVR at the same time if I want to get better motion detection.

I searched the current NVR for logs, i dont think it keeps any.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so by the sounds of it basically buy new cameras and NVR at the same time if I want to get better motion detection.

I searched the current NVR for logs, i dont think it keeps any.
yes...you can also move to a pc based vms like blue iris that will do all the motion detection...but you should really replace garbage cameras...where did you buy from? you may still be able to return.