NVR or BI

istreich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 3 Hikvision cameras connected to a Synology NAS and accessible via a Control4 system too.
I am planning to add another 10 cameras or so and the Synology Surveillance system will be prohibitively expensive.

As a result, I am considering buying a NVR, probably LTS or HikVision.

A few questions:

- my preference would be a dedicated NVR that will be racked in my basement:
- are the Hikvision and LTS units rackable and supplied with rack kits
- can I use my switch POE and only use the NVR to manage the cameras? If so, how do I connect the cameras?
- I would rack the unit in the basement but would like to have a monitor in another room. Could I do this?
- could I install the unit in my upstairs the rack and connect a monitor via HDMI but have the cameras POE connected to my switch in the basement?
- are there features I would have on a BI config that I would not have on a NVR? If so, any recommendation on a cheap (but powerful enough for 16 cameras) rackable PC that would host 2 or 4 HDD? Does not seem to be as a great solution but asking
- same question with Synology NAS? Features lost?
- do the Hikvision and LTS NVR come with a iOS app that is accessible remotely?
- can a LTS NVR manage both HikVision and LTS cameras?

At this stage, my ideal configuration would be:
- POE supplied by existing Netgear switch and powering all cameras in basement
- LTS NVR, with 2 or 4 HDD, installed in upstairs rack and connected to small HDMI monitor and on same network
- mobile app to see feeds when traveling
- connection to Control4 system via Houselogix driver
- combination of multifocal dome and single focal (2.8 or 4mm turrets), mixing existing HikVision 3megs and new LTS 4 megs cameras.
Let me know if I miss anything.

Thanks a lot in advance for your precious answers.