nvr : motion zones availability with onvif

nugget

n3wb
Reaction score
helllo,

could someone tell me if the hik nvrs have any issues/restrictions related to setting up zones for motion detection
with camera's that are only accessible throught onvif?

im currently trying a GS nvr with a hik cam and zone/region creation seems not possible "when using onvif".

thanks,

ps:
if i need to switch to be able to use this functionality then i would get me a hik nvr like a DS-7608NI-E1 (or E2)
i think i can get a E2 for 170€ or so within Europe which seems very cheap
my current hik is a 2732(5.2.5. multi lang) . if all goes well i might grab another couple of those and some cheap onvifs for small rooms

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
im currently trying a GS nvr with a hik cam and zone/region creation seems not possible "when using onvif".
That will likely be due to the level of ONVIF support in the GS NVR.

All the event configuration and generation, for motion, intrusion, line crossing etc is created within the camera.
Depending on the method by which the camera communicates the event to the NVR as a trigger for an action, not all types, or even any events may be recognised and actioned by an NVR.
Hikvision 2-series cameras do support the ONVIF 'push / pull subscription notifications' capability that can be used to inform an ONVIF compliant NVR about events.
You can see this if you monitor the 'Events' page using the very good Windows open-source tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net when it is showing a Hikvision camera.
You can set all these events and smart events up in the camera independent of the NVR, but the NVR ONVIF implementation may not support any or all of them.
You can check out your ONVIF cameras in this way to see what ONVIF events they generate.

could someone tell me if the hik nvrs have any issues/restrictions related to setting up zones for motion detection
with camera's that are only accessible through onvif?
Now to your actual question.
I just tested a DS-2CD2335-I running v5.3.3 connected as ONVIF to a 7816N-E2 running v3.3.4 and only 'basic events' (ie motion detection) appear to be supported.
Smart events (line crossing and intrusion detection) cannot be configured as triggers and do not show in the NVR logs.
Later versions of NVR firmware do have enhanced ONVIF support, such as being able to query camera region, but I don't know if smart events are now supported.

nugget

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for that tool, that is indeed very usefull.
do appreciate your time testing,
a 7608 it shall be.