NVR 5216-4KS2 - Doesn't work when second HDD added

TheDude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have ruled out an incompatibility with the hard drive and the NVR as it works with either one. You have ruled out SATA cables as well.
1 - some bizarre incompatibility between the two hard drives themselves - even though they are the same model maybe the actual drives have different firmware versions
2 - still could be a power problem - a drive connected to power only is not using as much power as it does once the system sends a phy spin up command on a SATA link to detect devices
3 - maybe a bug in that particular firmware version on the NVR - I'd think we would have heard from others though as this is a pretty common and popular model of NVR
4 - maybe the main board in the NVR itself has some sort of defect - could even be a bad solder joint that once both cables are connected causes some strain or something heats up with both connected and causes something to go in and out

There is an even newer firmware version as well as older versions you could try. Be warned - the couple of most recent firmware versions for the NVR's will BLOCK any China market cameras from being able to connect to it. Cameras from Empire (Andy) will be fine as well as from other reputable sources. The cheapest ones you see on eBay and Amazon are intended for use only in China. Sellers put hacked firmware on them so they will have English but they are unable to load international firmware on them so many also put a note on those cheap cameras that they cannot have the firmware upgraded on them. If you have all legit cameras it is nothing to worry about. This appears to be the newest version. http://dahuawiki.com/images/Firmware/DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V3.216.0000004.0.R.20181229.zip I have not yet tried loading this on mine but I will tomorrow.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry. Think my descriptions were unclear.

My NVR came with 2 SATA cables (let's label them A and B) and there are 2 SATA ports (let's label them C and D) on the NVR internal board. Nothing was missing.

What I meant was the NVR would hang at the black screen if I connect both HDDs as it should (power + SATA).

However, my experiments seem to suggest that the individual hardwares (HDDs, SATA cables and ports) are working fine. This is because the NVR can run fine when only one HDD is connected (both SATA and power). I have trying using different HDDs, SATA cables and SATA ports, it works as long as only one HDD is connected. This means I have tried all combinations such as
- HDD1 with SATA cable A at port C
- HDD1 with SATA cable A at port D
- HDD1 with SATA cable B at port C
- HDD1 with SATA cable B at port D
- repeat above with HDD2

Once I connect both HDDs, the problem returns. It happens with any combination of HDD/SATA cable/port as above.

What else could I check?

@RodeoGeorge - Thanks for that info. My firmware is supposedly more recent: System Version:3.216.0000000.0 Build Date:2018-05-30
Hi Andy @EMPIRETECANDY

Have your team encountered this issue that Liang is reporting? Do you know what could be done to fix this?

Thank You

Liang

n3wb
Reaction score
Update

Thought I'll share my experience and update this thread to close off the issue.

1. I have tried using another HDD of different brand/capacity as the second HDD, but still same symptoms: Singe HDD operates ok, but same problem once both HDDs are connected.

2. I have decided to try the latest firmware (20181229). That was the start of another MAJOR NIGHTMARE ... after uploading the new firmware, with just one HDD connected, the NVR hangs a few seconds immediately after seemingly successful boot-up! With that few precious seconds, I couldn't navigate to the firmware setting page to change the firmware!! That was so frustrating and I thought I had bricked the NVR ...

3. After some desperate trial and error, I found out the way to change the firmware. Basically, I disconnected network cable, disconnected the HDD, and I can finally bootup the NVR and get to the firmware setting page. THAT was a HUGE breakthrough!

4. I thought it would be a simple roll-back to my working firmware. Strangely, the NVR now refused to load my previous old firmware (20180530), despite trying difference sources on internet. What happened???

5. After several failed attempts, decided to try another firmware and I chose the 20181211 version. SURPRISE! It works! Now my NVR has returned to life!

6. And BIGGER SURPRISE, now it works even when both my WD 4TB Purple HDDs are connected! YES!

For learning purpose, anyone can help explain what is behind all these bizarre observations?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Congratulations on the success. Explanation is crappy firmware development.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

TheDude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No idea myself.... I did load the 20181229 one on mine (has two WD Purple drives in it) and it seems fine.

Regardless - good to hear the other december one is working good for you!

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Awesome, Good learning moment for all Interested parties here including myself. Sounds like you had a firmware bug and would have never known it until you dido what you did. Glad you worked it out.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update

Thought I'll share my experience and update this thread to close off the issue.

1. I have tried using another HDD of different brand/capacity as the second HDD, but still same symptoms: Singe HDD operates ok, but same problem once both HDDs are connected.

2. I have decided to try the latest firmware (20181229). That was the start of another MAJOR NIGHTMARE ... after uploading the new firmware, with just one HDD connected, the NVR hangs a few seconds immediately after seemingly successful boot-up! With that few precious seconds, I couldn't navigate to the firmware setting page to change the firmware!! That was so frustrating and I thought I had bricked the NVR ...

3. After some desperate trial and error, I found out the way to change the firmware. Basically, I disconnected network cable, disconnected the HDD, and I can finally bootup the NVR and get to the firmware setting page. THAT was a HUGE breakthrough!

4. I thought it would be a simple roll-back to my working firmware. Strangely, the NVR now refused to load my previous old firmware (20180530), despite trying difference sources on internet. What happened???

5. After several failed attempts, decided to try another firmware and I chose the 20181211 version. SURPRISE! It works! Now my NVR has returned to life!

6. And BIGGER SURPRISE, now it works even when both my WD 4TB Purple HDDs are connected! YES!

For learning purpose, anyone can help explain what is behind all these bizarre observations?
Thanks @Liang

Andy @EMPIRETECANDY - do your tech folks have any further insight into this issue? - Thanks.

Last edited: