Noob here. Is Reolink really this bad or am I stupid?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Another problem is that everyone thinks that movies like "Enemy of the State" portray what video surveillance is capable of. Unfortunately, "enhance and rotate" only work if you have a special effects department and multiple cameras all filming simultaneously. People expect digital zoom to maintain the clarity as the frame is zoomed in, not realizing that all they are doing is zooming in on the same amount of information and just spreading it over a larger area. Kind of like looking at an old picture in a newspaper under a magnifying glass, all you see is dots of ink.

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that Reolink cameras are that bad, I don't know of any $60 camera that is capable of your expectations.
Do you mean that more expensive Reolink could work in my case? How about shutter speed? Reolink app only allows integer inputs, 0-125 ms for 510A. I think even 1 ms is not enough to capture license plates.
In our online shop I've seen cheap 100$ Dahua, however, capable of something like 0.01 ms shutter speed. Could it be a scam?

...Soo as far as I understand MPixels aren't that important in my case (2 should be enough), shutter speed is most important, also constant high bitrate is needed. How about frames per second. Is 30 enough? Ethernet cable length/good quality cable? Mine is 15 meters long.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean that more expensive Reolink could work in my case? How about shutter speed? Reolink app only allows integer inputs, 0-125 ms in my case. I think even 1 ms is not enough to capture license plates.
In our online shop I've seen cheap 100$ Dahua, however, capable of something like 0.001 ms shutter speed. Could it be a scam?

...Soo Is far as I understand MPixels aren't that important in my case (2 should be enough), shutter speed is most important, also constant high bitrate is needed. How about frames per second. Is 30 enough? Ethernet cable length/bad cable? Mine is 15 meters long.
NO NO NO - a more expensive reolink will not work - they all suffer from the same concept of producing nice still images but motion is a blur.

What is the focal length of the cheap Dahua? That is more important. If it is a fixed lens 2.8mm it will not work.

All Dahua IP cams can set the shutter and the camera will adhere to it. Do you mean this site online store or another?

As I said earlier, you need a varifocal that is up to the 13ish mm focal length based on where your camera is at.

I provided a link to a $129 camera - just go with that and call it done. You will not find a camera much cheaper than that and this is a proven camera to do that with.

You do not need more than 15FPS. My picture above, which is a much tighter field of view than yours captures plates just fine at 8FPS.

FAST SHUTTER SPEED and the PROPER FOCAL LENGTH are two requirements for capturing plates.

15m for a cable is fine.

Bitrate can probably go with 4,000-8,000.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
if you didnt update to a newer firmware version than june 2021 on your reoshit camera, then you should be able to adjust the shutter/gain.

1. no matter what brand
STOP USING APPS

then post screenshots from the webinterface from the camera. (LOG IN WITH REAL COMPUTER)

i want to see if reoshit is able to read plate :D

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you didnt update to an newer version than june 2021 on your reoshit camera, then you should be able to adjust the shutter/gain.

1. no matter what brand
STOP USING APPS

then post screenshots from the webinterface from the camera. (LOG IN WITH REAL COMPUTER)

i want to see if reoshit is able to read plate :D
Oh it lets you adjust shutter and gain, now whether the camera will adhere to that or will it override the user settings....we know that answer lol.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another, the one near our place. It's HFW2230S like this one.

Will do.
Hi @InfiniteJustice

I would highly recommend seeing what Andy ( EmpiretecAndy here ) has available.

Many of us like the 4MP varifocal models with larger sensors .. ( 1/1.8" )

Andy does currently have a "blackfriday" special deal ( BlackFriday is a USA buying day with special deals .. which used to be the Friday after USA Thanksgiving .. now it seems is the 3 weeks before Thanksgiving .. lol ), I'd check and see if he can get you a nicer camera for your goals.

I suspect you can get a better camera for not too much more..

FYI - Camera discussed

1636144974113.png

1636144943247.png