No Web Software Working on 5431 from Andy.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My 5431 suddenly came to life, I don't know why, after being a brick for a week.

I had it plugged into a spare router because that router had lights on active ethernet ports - checking to see if it were alive. It apparently wasn't. No light. For the longest time.

I eventually went away for a couple of hours leaving it plugged in when I came back - it was alight!

Excellent though mysterious. So I've logged in and changed the password. And I've changed the IP address to put it on the subnet we use.

And I clicked on 'download the plugin' and it downloaded 'webplugin.exe' . I couldn't run it from there so I ran it from the hard drive. All okay.

But no change. No pic on the camera software. No change in the software that I can see.

What can I/should I do?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try as different browser. And, perhaps, your 5431 was schedule to reboot once each week.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get it/got it. Tried IE, nope, Edge is the go now, tried Edge, nope, told me I needed Chrome, tried Chrome, got it. :)

Lovely. Now we're in business.

'Reboot once each week' ? Why couldn't I detect any signs of life before it rebooted?

edit: Hmmm... it is broke again. I picked it up to move it and the pic froze. I think the power has gone off. I think there was a faint red glow in there before.

Yep. The web service thing can't find it. What a crock. It's got a loose connection or a faulty diode or something in there..... I'll bet.... Christ have I hassled with this thing.......... ever since it came out of the box... I'll say this for those lousy resolution Foscams i was using I just plug 'em in and bang, we're in business..

I am heartily sick of it. And I think I made a mistake in the first place - I thought it was wifi capable and now I believe it is not, right?

These are unbadged Dahua's. They're exactly the same or they're factory reject Dahua's?

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
If its the IPC-HDBW5431E-Z bad news for you..NOT wireless. Hopefully ANDY will make good on it. How long have you had it? what are you using to power it?

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Picked the wrong one didn't I? Which are the wifi models I wonder. I'm using the 12V line.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe you should give us the hole product number... But most of all Dahua cams are not wireless, and this is good so! If you need wireless, add an 5ghz access point over Poe to it.
Wlan inside the cam is only 2.4ghz and performs really poor and often unstable for outside purposes.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The whole number is IPC HFW 5431EP-Z.

I really want wifi because it is easier to put up 12V supplies outside wherever you want than them than run ethernet cables everywhere. Have numerous cables piercing the walls of the building, running all over the building on their way to the router.

240V outlets can be found in many places already existing. 12V battery supplies can be set up and so on.

So what's the work around for that? Do everything outside and just take one cable inside to the router?

Back to this camera. It seems to be buggered.

I went well yesterday and saw it light up the router port.
The I even got that WEB plugin and I saw the camera view, picture it was putting out.
Then it stopped.
Then (hours later) it started again.
This morning I find it is still working. Picture. Everything.
BUT: this morning the picture suddenly disappeared.
The port light is still on.
The WEB thing is still working and communicating with the camera. It logs out if the camera goes offline doesn't it?
The WEB thing is still working and I can make all kinds of menu choices. But I can't get a picture.
I had the thing in my hands when the picture went off.
Are they supposed to be incredibly sensitive to movement or something?
What to do?

p.s. I saw that it was glaring at me with burning red eyes for a while there. Now it is sullenly dark.

p.p.s. No diagnosis software I could use is there? I downloaded those dahua tools, the toolbox thing, but there doesn't seem to be troubleshooting diagnostic software in there.

p.p.p.s. Maybe I should start a new thread? The WEB plugin software is working now. It's the camera that, as always, is not working....

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The whole number is IPC HFW 5431EP-Z.

I really want wifi because it is easier to put up 12V supplies outside wherever you want than them than run ethernet cables everywhere. Have numerous cables piercing the walls of the building, running all over the building on their way to the router.

240V outlets can be found in many places already existing. 12V battery supplies can be set up and so on.

So what's the work around for that? Do everything outside and just take one cable inside to the router?

Back to this camera. It seems to be buggered.

I went well yesterday and saw it light up the router port.
The I even got that WEB plugin and I saw the camera view, picture it was putting out.
Then it stopped.
Then (hours later) it started again.
This morning I find it is still working. Picture. Everything.
BUT: this morning the picture suddenly disappeared.
The port light is still on.
The WEB thing is still working and communicating with the camera. It logs out if the camera goes offline doesn't it?
The WEB thing is still working and I can make all kinds of menu choices. But I can't get a picture.
I had the thing in my hands when the picture went off.
Are they supposed to be incredibly sensitive to movement or something?
What to do?

p.s. I saw that it was glaring at me with burning red eyes for a while there. Now it is sullenly dark.

p.p.s. No diagnosis software I could use is there? I downloaded those dahua tools, the toolbox thing, but there doesn't seem to be troubleshooting diagnostic software in there.

p.p.p.s. Maybe I should start a new thread? The WEB plugin software is working now. It's the camera that, as always, is not working....
1) there is/was likely never anything wrong with the camera, it was user error. You need some basic networking knowledge unless you are plugging this into the back of a dahua nvr.
2) wifi is unreliable.
3) any camera can be made wifi using a wifi bridge, so why settle for an inferior model with wifi...
4) this is why dahua does not sell to end users...

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are essentially trying to make out that I am incompetent to have this camera.

I refute that contention totally and here and now state my annoyance at your slander.

You list 4 sentences. Not one of which is of any use at all. All impertinent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are essentially trying to make out that I am incompetent to have this camera.

I refute that contention totally and here and now state my annoyance at your slander.

You list 4 sentences. Not one of which is of any use at all. All impertinent.
Look, it is evident from your posts that you have no clue as to what you are doing...you need to hire someone competent to assist you or begin reading books on basic networking and the threads on this forum that discuss them..the fact that you have no use for my sentences, particularly 1-3, highlights your lack of knowledge..

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You just won't pay attention.
Which means you don't have a clue what you're doing.
If you bothered to read it you'll see I told you:

The camera is working. 100%. There is nothing wrong. We know. Because it is working.

Then it stops working. For no apparent reason.

Then it starts working. For no apparent reason.

Then it stops again.

That's when I started this thread.

Since then and your rude, ignorant, unhelpful remarks -

It has stopped and started again.

Only now, as the last time before, the plugin apparently works fine but displays no video.

Now I'd appreciate it if you yourself do not bother to post anything if you've nothing constructive to post.

The camera obviously has an intermittent fault.

p.s. If it were true that I had no idea what I was doing then it is glaringly obvious I'd gain no idea from you, would I? Does that penetrate the halo of self satisfaction within which you live?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You just won't pay attention.
Which means you don't have a clue what you're doing.
If you bothered to read it you'll see I told you:

The camera is working. 100%. There is nothing wrong. We know. Because it is working.

Then it stops working. For no apparent reason.

Then it starts working. For no apparent reason.

Then it stops again.

That's when I started this thread.

Since then and your rude, ignorant, unhelpful remarks -

It has stopped and started again.

Only now, as the last time before, the plugin apparently works fine but displays no video.

Now I'd appreciate it if you yourself do not bother to post anything if you've nothing constructive to post.

The camera obviously has an intermittent fault.

p.s. If it were true that I had no idea what I was doing then it is glaringly obvious I'd gain no idea from you, would I? Does that penetrate the halo of self satisfaction within which you live?
I read it...based on your posts its clear that you dont know the first thing about ip cameras or networking...so "stops working" is a meaningless phrase....There is no intermittent fault in the camera, that I can tell you for certain...the intermittent fault is with the user...have you checked that the camera has sufficient power? that the cable is ok? that the switch/router/nvr is ok? no...because you dont know the first thing about testing these things.
Finally, dont tell me what to post on my own forum. I will do as I wish..if you dont like my "rude" comments you are free to try another camera forum...I hear there are nice folks from india there willing to help you with tech support.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@abrogard
The problem of your posting is, you give us too less informations. And you don't understand my posting how to set up an IP cam with an outdoor access point. Or you won't understand it.
I agree @fenderman that your problems can be an network issue. If you are not willed to learn, then you should better not ask for help.
I also miss some basics, it's not a fault to be a customer here to post questions, but you must be more specific. Where does we have 240V?
How is the cam connected at the moment? What is your infrastructure and power supply? Did you try it with a short patch cable in-house on your (Poe)switch? Factory reset?

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is your forum? Well then you can do as you wish, of course. But I'd think you'd want to do the best you can.

And your posts to me are not the best in any way at all.

I can't make clear that I know nothing because it is not true that I know nothing.
'stops working' is certainly not meaningless and it is for interested parties to them enquire as to signs and symptoms.

The "power, cable, switch/router " question is the first thing that begins to approach a reasonable response. In fact they are tested as well as I can currently, as a matter of course, and mainly by swapping in and out - i.e. if something works well there then we can assume it is good when put here.

But that sentence is followed immediately by another unwarranted and inaccurate personal slight which spoils that.

If you don't think your comments are rude then think on how you'd feel if I were to tell you that you demonstrate a total lack of understanding of the first principles of reasoned discourse.

And as for the 'nice folks from India' I'll veer away from the slight smell of racial antipathy there declare I don't give a damn who I talk with when trying to get to the bottom of problems. I just wish them to be people with sensible observations to make.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been covered already, but how are you powering it?

My dad tried to power a PTZ via 12 volts to the DC pigtail but he didn't use a plug with the correct inner diameter and it did not make good contact. If that is what you've done, that would explain your intermittent behavior.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@abrogard
The problem of your posting is, you give us too less informations. And you don't understand my posting how to set up an IP cam with an outdoor access point. Or you won't understand it.
I agree @fenderman that your problems can be an network issue. If you are not willed to learn, then you should better not ask for help.
I also miss some basics, it's not a fault to be a customer here to post questions, but you must be more specific. Where does we have 240V?
How is the cam connected at the moment? What is your infrastructure and power supply? Did you try it with a short patch cable in-house on your (Poe)switch? Factory reset?
Hello. Thanks for your interest.

Anything you want to know I can tell and am happy to do so.
I'm not sure about this 'my posting how to set up..... outdoor access point...' etc. Where's all that?
All I see here is that post about wireless. Not pertinent right now.
What I'm talking about here is a camera that switches on and off by itself.
I will try to answer your questions if that'll help.

240V comes out of the plugs in the wall here.
This camera is plugged into a router.
Infrastructure? Don't know what you mean. Network infrastructure? Broadband router/modem connection. Camera plugged into it. PC plugged into the router. 6 more pc's and foscams wirelessly connected.
I have no PoE switch.
I don't know about how to factory reset this camera. I'm waiting for that kind of advice/direction from people who know.

p.s. Please note:

I am talking about a camera that apparently was working fine.
i.e. at that time at least everything was good: configuration, power supply, cables, etc...
BUT: is switched itself on after being a brick.
AND: It switched itself off... etc..
That's what it is all about..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is your forum? Well then you can do as you wish, of course. But I'd think you'd want to do the best you can.

And your posts to me are not the best in any way at all.

I can't make clear that I know nothing because it is not true that I know nothing.
'stops working' is certainly not meaningless and it is for interested parties to them enquire as to signs and symptoms.

The "power, cable, switch/router " question is the first thing that begins to approach a reasonable response. In fact they are tested as well as I can currently, as a matter of course, and mainly by swapping in and out - i.e. if something works well there then we can assume it is good when put here.

But that sentence is followed immediately by another unwarranted and inaccurate personal slight which spoils that.

If you don't think your comments are rude then think on how you'd feel if I were to tell you that you demonstrate a total lack of understanding of the first principles of reasoned discourse.

And as for the 'nice folks from India' I'll veer away from the slight smell of racial antipathy there declare I don't give a damn who I talk with when trying to get to the bottom of problems. I just wish them to be people with sensible observations to make.
This is not a college safe space. If you can handle direct responses then leave. As far as your intent to cast me as a racist (none of your damn business by the way) is directed at INDIAN scammers. Yes I will say it again, INDIAN scammers- those are folks from and IN INDIA, directly scamming US residents with tech support spam and calls...need me to say it again or are you already inside your safe space. And yes I DO hate indian scammers, as well as american scammers, nigerian scammers etc...the indians are just more active on the some boards....think a bit moron.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been covered already, but how are you powering it?

My dad tried to power a PTZ via 12 volts to the DC pigtail but he didn't use a plug with the correct inner diameter and it did not make good contact. If that is what you've done, that would explain your intermittent behavior.
Good one.
Yes, I thought of that but it doesn't seem to be the problem, unfortunately, would have been a nice easy fix.
The plug is a nice tight fit. It is a new power supply bought just for this camera because the vendor, despite what it says in doco and on the camera said it needed 2A rather than the 1A I was feeding it with.
So that was all good.
And I sat there for some time wiggling that connection and the ethernet connection trying to find a way to disable and enable the camera - trying to find a loose joint, a bad connection. I couldn't.

But yep, good idea.

abrogard

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I notice you asked for "diagnostic software". Well a very basic diagnostic test you can do is continuously ping the camera to measure latency and packet loss. If you don't want to do that on the command line, I wrote a piece of software that you could use; it makes a graph of ping responses. GitHub - bp2008/pingtracer: Ping Tracer continuously pings each network host between your computer and a given destination, helping identify the source of connectivity problems.
Yep, good one. Thanks.
But I do ping quite frequently and it always answers. Of course, When the LED is on at the port. We'd expect that. But doesn't hurt to check. The light could be on but the software/hardware is somehow broke so's it can't respond to a ping.
But it does.

I'll download and use your software though. Excellent.

p.s. I downloaded the zip and unzipped it and can't see how to run it.
It tried to open visual studio but then it was talking about some master control somewhere and I got worried lest it was talking to the web.... long story short it's not going....

EDIT: Status right now, 11:00 local time. It just switched off. No light on the LED on the router.

I was holding it, going to move it somewhere else and it switched off.
I wriggled and bent and turned the wires carefully every which way. Most especially of course the ethernet and power connections.
But also I taped up those loose bare wires so's they couldn't cause any problems.

I was unable to get it switch back on.

Just immediately prior to that I had found and fired up that PSS thing, while the camera was connected with a lit LED on the router but no video in the WEB Plugin thing.

With PSS it found the camera and reported it as offline because of an invalid user ! I was able to log in and get it online and got beaut video, no trouble. I played with that for a while and thought everything looks good and I'll move the camera.

Then it all fell apart.

Looks like a simple bad connection within the camera to me.

Last edited: