No motion detection recorded only 24/7

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Each scene is different. Show us a pic

I try to outline areas that wont be affected by swaying tree limbs, plants or shadows as best I can, and typically use 80-90 and 10-20 threshold.. But for the most part I only use it at night as daytime gives too many false alerts. For example the one image you showed had a large portion of stucco? wall in the motion grid, nothing to see there but false alarms, remove it from that

IVS is going to be your solution.

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These are two that struggle to detect motion at night cuz it's so dark.

This one does have a flood light above it though. I put this at 80 (was 60) threshold 5
Screenshot_20240223_204333.jpg

This one only picks up on the street at night. Same with this one 80 from 60. Threshold 5
Screenshot_20240223_204344.jpg

Both have a wall but I really don't want to play with the grid now that it's working again.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Unlikely you'll pic up much of anything at night in the top photo, MD needs light

Bottom one isnt a lot better. At minimum I'd aim it to get rid of as much wall as possible

What model cameras are those?
You really dont have enough light to run those in color at night. I'd look at running IR in B&W

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahh that's a shame but you make a good point! Explains why I it won't pick anything uo at night. Maybe black and white is the way at night time. How do I go about changing it from colour to black and white at night time?

I'm not sure what model they are I'm afraid. But it has a smart light on it? Not sure if that helps.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You'd have to login to the individual camera interface and set it there.

You should ask your installer for a brief tutorial session to get a baseline understanding of the various settings on the camera (not the NVR) then we'll be better able to help you.
Frankly if he left it like that, well, he didnt finish the job

The camera model and its interface version matters. There are a number of things that will need to be changed not just a simple on/off

If you can login to the too camera labeled "side" and show us a pic of that interface once you login, we can point you the right way to get started, but there's hours and days involved in learning all of the settings and how they interact, day vs night etc...

Login by using the blue IE icons on the NVR camera registration page. Should be same login/pass as your NVR
NVR-Cameras.jpg

Does it look like this?
NewUI-IriscontrolinAUTO.jpg 1708725130630.jpeg

or like this:
chrome5442Turret-V4FW.jpg Color-BW-setting.jpg

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you! I'll ask him on Monday when u speak to him about what keeps switching off the MD.

This is the one I have
1.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Under Profile at top, change it to Night, then click on Illuminator and see what it is set to. Depending on the model, if it has IR, you can choose Auto, then Save then Refresh at bottom

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Under Profile at top, change it to Night, then click on Illuminator and see what it is set to. Depending on the model, if it has IR, you can choose Auto, then Save then Refresh at bottom
So this is what it is currently set at
current setting.jpg

These are the options I have
different options.jpg

What should I put it too for B&W at night? IR and then Auto? Thank you!

i have also removed a lot of the wall from the region too and increased sensitivity to 90 and threshold 2 for the side cam. Unfortunately took ages for video to load.

Last edited:

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK I'll set the camera IR mode auto on night profile see how that goes at night time and let you know.

The sane settings are also on the nvr too where i can do contrast brightness etc? Is this different to canera settings?. I'm assuming it's best to just set it on the camera?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Leave those alone on the NVR. Make all changes on the camera, then Save/Refresh

The image settings,contrast, brightness, etc should be the LAST thing you mess with. Most of the time their default/50 is fine

Whats going to make the difference, and it will require trial and error, is Shutter speed, Gain, and DNR

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
awesome thank you! You have been so so so helpful!! I'll see how it goes on IR mode this evening and send some shots of what it looks like and we can take it from there.. If that's ok with you?

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Quick one. Isn't it supposed to be b&w now? When it's on IR mode, auto? Put them both on IR and auto.
Screenshot_20240224_193759.jpg
Screenshot_20240224_193715.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
In theory.

Leave that top one alone, much better. Would be better yet without so much wall.

The bottom one needs IR not enough light to run color.

Go back to that Day/Night setting and make sure Night is B&W not Auto

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
top one does look a lot better.

so I changed the 'side; cam setting to B&W on the day/night setting. I left it on IR - Auto on the illumination setting. Is that correct?

Here is the image. What do you reckon? That wall is so annoying! I put the brightness on my phone right the way up to full below. Is it worth moving the camera more to the right so less wall is shown? Problem is I'll see more wall on the house on the right then? Hmm

Screenshot_20240224_231529.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats still in color

Two settings on the camera
DAY/NIGHT- make it say B&W in the dropdown NOT Auto

Illuminator- IR Mode. The if any other choices make them Auto. But it has to be in IR Mode
We dont want anything that says Smart Illumination, not familiar with that model, would need to see the choices, but we want IR and ONLY IR, nothing smart or warm or any other descriptor

jayv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
right got you!

So here I have changed Day/Night - Night profile - B&W
D&N.jpg

Illumination fill light changed to IR mode and Mode changed to off from
illuminatin.jpg

Saved and refresh and finally image below? Wow big difference! That look better? could do with it being a bit clearer. worth playing with the 'picture' settings next?

Screenshot_20240224_235751.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Progress!

But I thnk IR is off completely and you're just picking up ambient light from the street.

Lets see what choices you have under Illuminator/IR "Mode"? is their an "Auto"there?

We want IR but we want it to be in auto mode. So the camera decides how much IR