Newbie Question: Which ethernet cable for POE camera as extension?

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Kavass 1080p 4CH NVR System. The system came with 4 65ft ethernet cables which was great, however I need a longer cable to reach outside the garage for 1 of the cameras. I bought a standard 24g Cat5e cable at 50ft, a TP-Link POE Injector, and a POE Passive Splitter. When I connect the cable that I bought to the NVR --> POE Injector --> default cable it came with ---> IP Camera; it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

Or is there a place that I can buy a POE cable at 100 ft that already has the splitter pre-connected to it?

This is the back of my NVR.

The cable on the left is the POE cable that came with the kit with the pre-connected splitter and to the right is the connection for the camera.

This is the 50ft Cat5e 24g that I bought.

Please help. :'(

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need a splitter (and the one on the pic look like a passive one, if so not PoE 802.af compliant) you just need a long enough cable to supply PoE to the using device. The specs say all should be good up to 100m, and plenty of anecdotal evidence here that much longer lengths can work just fine, though not guaranteed by the specifications and tolerances.
And it will do no harm at 100Mbps to join 2 cables with a joiner block - it's just 2 sockets with short wires in between.

*edit* I assumed when reading your post and seeing the pic that your NVR was a PoE model - looks on re-read maybe it isn't. In which case you just need to insert the PoE injector, assuming it's a 'proper' 802.3af variety, somewhere in the cable, beginning or join, and connect the far end to the PoE camera. And if not a PoE camera - end the cable with a 'proper' PoE 802.3af splitter. If that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
One of these RJ45 couplers ( http://amzn.com/B00066HOUC ) may be all you need if this is standard 802.3af PoE. With standard 802.3af PoE you can just use ordinary network cables like the blue one that you bought, and it will carry power too. But there is reason to believe this kit you purchased does not use standard PoE.

If I am understanding the second picture correctly, the black network cable that came with the NVR kit has a DC power jack splitting out of it. This would mean it is not a standard PoE system and it will be more difficult to extend properly. Please show a picture of both ends of one of the included network cables so we can figure out more certainly what is going on. Better yet if you can show a pic of a connected, working camera (emphasis on the network/power connections), and another more zoomed out pic of the back of the NVR with all the stuff plugged in.

Also let us know what PoE injector you bought and what passive PoE splitter you bought. I don't think those are shown in any of the pictures. Hopefully we can figure out a way to connect this up without you having to buy anything else.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
The cable that came with the kit looks like this.

This is the IP Camera.

This is the front and back of the NVR system, all cables were removed for the purposes of this picture. This NVR states that it is a POE system.

This is how it is normally connected using the provided cables.

So I went back and the passive PoE wasn't 802.3af compliant and was hoping that was the problem and don't even need the Injector.

I bought this Active 802.3af Compliant Splitter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SM196AE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00).

I have decided to just buy a long enough Cat5e cable and not even bother connecting the provided cable (black) and the Cat5e cable I bought (blue). So I figured that if I connect my own cable to the NVR it would be sufficient. So this is how I connected it: NVR --> my own Cat5e cable (blue) --> Active 802.3af Compliant Splitter --> IP Camera.

But that didn't work either. I'm not sure what really needs to be done. I'm having difficulty understanding this. I hope the pictures are more informative and that someone can assist me.
**In the picture below, the DC plug to the NVR is not connected. It is only for the purpose of this picture. During testing it was connected and the NVR had power but the camera did not.**

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Very curious. It seems likely that the cameras require 12 volt power (unless you can find a label stating otherwise), so I would suspect the NVR supplies 12 volts out its network ports. The cable that came with the NVR likely just reroutes 4 of the wires out to the DC plug, making it essentially a cable with a passive PoE splitter built in.

Get your passive splitter that is not 802.3af compliant. Try connecting this way: NVR --> your own Cat5e cable (blue) --> passive non-802.3af compliant splitter --> IP Camera. This should provide no power to the cameras RJ45 jack, and pass the appropriate amount of power to the DC jack.

ALTERNATIVE 1: NVR --> 802.3af compliant PoE INJECTOR --> your blue cat5e cable --> Active 802.3af Compliant Splitter --> IP Camera. This will provide no power to the RJ45 jack of the camera, but provide 12 volts power to the DC jack. This should work if your cam accepts 12 volt input, and may work better than the first method because it will not have to deal with voltage drop over the length of the network cable.

ALTERNATIVE 2: NVR --> 802.3af compliant PoE INJECTOR --> your blue cat5e cable --> IP Camera. The camera's DC jack remains disconnected in this configuration. This will provide 48 volts to the RJ45 port, but only if the camera is 802.3af PoE compliant, otherwise no power will be sent and the camera will still not work.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The way 802.3af PoE works, the PoE injector knows if the device at the receiving end is 802.3af compliant and it will not send power to a non-compliant device. When a compliant PoE device is connected at the other end, the injector will send 48 (or more, up to about 56) volts down the network cable. This high of a voltage is used because there is a fair amount of voltage loss when sending power long distances over thin wire like a network cable. The higher voltage at the source allows there to be more voltage loss without losing as much efficiency.

Anyway your active splitter is compliant, so it will receive 48 volts from the injector. The splitter converts this to 12 volts and provides 12 volt power through its DC power plug, and this allows you to have 12 volt power at the camera without the voltage loss you would experience if you had run 12 volts down the entire network cable.