Newbie here seeking advice (as all other noobs).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will unfortunately find a lot of professionals that go for the easy in/easy out install with crap cameras and they overcharge for the whole project. Especially if the client knows nothing about cameras... I second (or third) buying cameras from Andy here on this site.

In rereading your original post again, I think you will want to add a camera to be able to read plates. The instance you referenced above would not have been enough for the police with your existing cams even if they worked - maybe car color and was it a sedan or SUV, but thousands of vehicles would match that. But reading plates is a science all itself.

The go to camera is the 5241-Z12E as it has enough zoom to make the plates large. But this camera serves no other purpose than to be able to view plates. At night the image will be completely black except for the headlight/taillight and the plate. Look at this subforum for all the details:

Here is my plate capture from 175 out. My angle is about 40 degrees vertical, 45 degrees horizontal. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location.

1608390461393.png

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy will ship an where in the world.
Start with one variable focus camera and test the location and camera lens size. Test at night with motion. use a "BAD GUY" in a hoodie at night can you identify him, will the video stand up in court.

=====================
Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI

=====================
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: Amazon.com
Thank you! I will reach out to Andy.

You will unfortunately find a lot of professionals that go for the easy in/easy out install with crap cameras and they overcharge for the whole project. Especially if the client knows nothing about cameras... I second (or third) buying cameras from Andy here on this site.

In rereading your original post again, I think you will want to add a camera to be able to read plates. The instance you referenced above would not have been enough for the police with your existing cams even if they worked - maybe car color and was it a sedan or SUV, but thousands of vehicles would match that. But reading plates is a science all itself.

The go to camera is the 5241-Z12E as it has enough zoom to make the plates large. But this camera serves no other purpose than to be able to view plates. At night the image will be completely black except for the headlight/taillight and the plate. Look at this subforum for all the details:

Here is my plate capture from 175 out. My angle is about 40 degrees vertical, 45 degrees horizontal. Camera is 35 feet above street at this location.

1608390461393.png
Thats impressive from 35FT high and 175FT out! serious stuff right here

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a feeling by the time I am done setting up my cameras my neighbors will think I am running a meth lab or something illegal from all my high-tech cameras lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is all about getting the right camera for the location. You can make cameras work at 30 feet up at your attic, but it isn't going to be a Costco Lorex 2.8mm camera unless it is for overview. A PTZ would work great up there though. A license plate camera may work there too.

Too many people purchase cameras that have good reviews, but that is only part of it. If you select the wrong camera for the wrong spot, it doesn't matter how good the camera is as it will fail at accomplishing the end goal.

Most of your neighbors probably won't even see the cameras. People are that oblivious LOL.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking at this varifocal camera (IPC-B5442E-ZE - which is labeled Loryta IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP Starlight+ WDR IR Bullet AI Network Camera 2.7mm ~12mm Motorized Lens English Version) from amazon (Andy's shop) and it ships to Canada (cost if $300 USD after shipping and taxes). When I look at the pictures, it has a bunch of wires at the back (see attachment). I was hoping the cameras would only need the one CAT6 cable, is this not the case with these varifocal lenses?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those are for other items if you want to use them like add audio, an alarm light, power it other than POE, etc. Gives you lots of options. All "real" cameras offer those add-ons LOL.

But it will work just fine with cat6 and a POE switch or NVR.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a question on the AI component. My understanding, coax cameras are pretty much dumb terminals, they simply provide raw feed to the IVR which then does any processing like face or plate recognition. IP cameras have intelligence built-into-them in that they can process face or plate recognition and other things like parameter configuration and detection., which is why they are more expensive (i.e. requiring memory and processing). In the case of IVRs (like Iris Blue), does it do its own AI processing or it simply collecting already processed data (i.e. facial/plate pixels and alerts)? Basically, it only acts as a management system for data

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question on the AI component. My understanding, coax cameras are pretty much dumb terminals, they simply provide raw feed to the IVR which then does any processing like face or plate recognition. IP cameras have intelligence built-into-them in that they can process face or plate recognition and other things like parameter configuration and detection., which is why they are more expensive (i.e. requiring memory and processing). In the case of IVRs (like Iris Blue), does it do its own AI processing or it simply collecting already processed data (i.e. facial/plate pixels and alerts)? Basically, it only acts as a management system for data
You can configure the AI in the cameras to trigger recordings in BI. Think of it as a huge reduction of false positives over plain motion detection. BI also has built-in Human AI and License plate capture. Be sure to study the cliff notes closely.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Blue Iris has motion detection built in but no true AI built in. There is an add-on for LPR recognition/identification. NVRs, depending on the model, can have AI built in for human and vehicle recognition. Additionally, most better cameras have AI built in and can be used to trigger Blue Iris for human and vehicle recognition.

The advantage that Blue Iris has is that it is not limited to one brand of cameras, the processing ability is only limited by the CPU capabilities and the amount of storage can be vastly higher than an NVR. While and NVR may be simpler, in some respects, to set up and get running, many people here who start with them end up converting to Blue Iris for the additional flexibility that Blue Iris has.

You can also hybrid the system and use both an NVR and Blue Iris. Kind of the best of both worlds in some ways.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone :D excited to say that I just placed an order of 2x IPC-B5442E-ZE cameras from Andy, that's all I can afford for now :( Do I need any special mounting for these bullets to go on Stucco / brick wall, or simply use the back bracket it comes with?

Last edited:

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris has motion detection built in but no true AI built in. There is an add-on for LPR recognition/identification. NVRs, depending on the model, can have AI built in for human and vehicle recognition. Additionally, most better cameras have AI built in and can be used to trigger Blue Iris for human and vehicle recognition.

The advantage that Blue Iris has is that it is not limited to one brand of cameras, the processing ability is only limited by the CPU capabilities and the amount of storage can be vastly higher than an NVR. While and NVR may be simpler, in some respects, to set up and get running, many people here who start with them end up converting to Blue Iris for the additional flexibility that Blue Iris has.

You can also hybrid the system and use both an NVR and Blue Iris. Kind of the best of both worlds in some ways.

Thanks, that is good to know. On that same topic, do you know if professional cameras like IPC-B5442E-ZE offer the ability to interface with them via SDK or APIs (RestAPI, etc.)? If so, where can I find such documentation?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many will use a junction box and many will just slide the cables back into the wall.

They do use APis, but because we are not the target audience of these cameras (professional installers are), Dahua doesn't publish the APIs, but do a search here and you can find many ways that people are using them along with some code and other things that might be what you are looking for.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
They also can trigger BI using ONVIF triggers. Just be sure to check that box in motion detection for the camera in Blue Iris.

I'd use a junction box for the B5442E-ZE. Good protection for the connectors and much easier to mount with just 3/8" hole through the wall for cable, assuming you terminate after pulling the cable into the box. The PFA121, I believe, is the correct box.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They also can trigger BI using ONVIF triggers. Just be sure to check that box in motion detection for the camera in Blue Iris.

I'd use a junction box for the B5442E-ZE. Good protection for the connectors and much easier to mount with just 3/8" hole through the wall for cable, assuming you terminate after pulling the cable into the box. The PFA121, I believe, is the correct box.
Thanks I purchased two junction boxes also :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone :D excited to say that I just placed an order of 2x IPC-B5442E-ZE cameras from Andy, that's all I can afford for now :( Do I need any special mounting for these bullets to go on Stucco / brick wall, or simply use the back bracket it comes with?
Hi @kouma

For the Bullet cameras that have a square base with 4 screws, I like the PFA-121 junction box from Dahua.

1613858579681.png

Lorex rebrands them.. as do other Dahua OEM re-brands... you can also find it from Aliexpress.. Andy may also have them.

The nice thing is that the lid can be changed out with the PFA122 ( 3 screws ) so once you've installed the base things work out.

Personally considering you are in a cold area, I would think you have a lot of insultation in your walls and thus instead of pushing the cables back into the wall, I would personally like a junction box to keep the insultation less disturbed.

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @kouma

For the Bullet cameras that have a square base with 4 screws, I like the PFA-121 junction box from Dahua.

View attachment 83093

Lorex rebrands them.. as do other Dahua OEM re-brands... you can also find it from Aliexpress.. Andy may also have them.

The nice thing is that the lid can be changed out with the PFA122 ( 3 screws ) so once you've installed the base things work out.

Personally considering you are in a cold area, I would think you have a lot of insultation in your walls and thus instead of pushing the cables back into the wall, I would personally like a junction box to keep the insultation less disturbed.
Thank you again mat200. I didn't know Lorex carried these, it was cheaper and faster ordering them from Lorex. I ordered this:

kouma

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Based on the earlier suggestions for positioning the cameras, I have a question about the height (again). I know the importance of placing the cameras at 7-8ft high max, but aren't you guys worried about people reaching out and damaging them? Especially with something like a bullet camera, its hard to miss it and being that low it can be easily reached by a 5.5ft+ person. I am just worried about damage to the camera and wall it is mounted on.