New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

fleece

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Colts_guy

n3wb
Reaction score
The viewing angle on this thing is terrible (for a doorbell camera), 105 degrees...
Yes, but it has a 180-degree vertical FOV. It seems like this is a new trend that started with the Nest Hello to go more vertical. Maybe it is to be able to see packages better that are typically place below the doorbell.

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has tried this out yet. Seems the hikvision doorbell is just too unreliable. I am curious to see how this compares. Looks like the specs are better than most doorbell cameras.

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was looking into this one as well. Somebody is going to have to be the guinea pig LOL.

fleece

n3wb
Reaction score
I tested it out for a about a week. Tested it outside, next to AP, and next to router. My main issues were the RTSP feed, spotty connection, and dark contrast picture. I ended up returning it and sticking with my Skybell trim for now.

Positives:
180° vertical FOV allowed me to see packages on my doormat.
Live picture response was fast upon clicking the notification. (averaged 3-5 seconds)

Negatives:
No web management access.
RTSP feed was available, but unstable and would drop after a few seconds when it did connect. (maybe some kind security? maybe I used the wrong URLs?)
There was no low-res RTSP substream (Ch 2, 102)
Dark areas were underexposed in high contrast environments.
Doorbell notification would sometimes come in 10+ seconds late. (on wifi)
Connection would drop and system randomly becomes busy. (had more issues with 5Ghz)
No way to turn down/off the setup voice which is extremely loud and obnoxious.
Mounting plates don't stack with each other.

Hopefully some firmware updates can address some of these issues. I will then most likely buy it again, unless another subscriptionless doorbell comes along with RTSP and vertical view.

There's also an HSDB3 listed in the app description. Curious to see what that's all about...

shpitz461

n3wb
Reaction score
I tested it out for a about a week. Tested it outside, next to AP, and next to router. My main issues were the RTSP feed, spotty connection, and dark contrast picture. I ended up returning it and sticking with my Skybell trim for now.

Positives:
Live picture response was fast upon clicking the notification. (averaged 3-5 seconds)

Negatives:
RTSP feed was available, but unstable and would drop after a few seconds when it did connect. (maybe some kind security? maybe I used the wrong URLs?)
Connection would drop and system randomly becomes busy. (had more issues with 5Ghz)

Hopefully some firmware updates can address some of these issues. I will then most likely buy it again, unless another subscriptionless doorbell comes along with RTSP and vertical view.

There's also an HSDB3 listed in the app description. Curious to see what that's all about...
Thanks for the report! How did you feel about the 105 degree horizontal FOV? seem too narrow for me.

fleece

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the report! How did you feel about the 105 degree horizontal FOV? seem too narrow for me.
At first I was turned off by the idea of having instagram sized security pics, but it actually works out better in my situation. Half of my skybell view is wasted on a brick wall anyway. With the HSDB2A, I could actually monitor packages left directly in front of my door. Couldn't do this with the 1st gen rca, ring, or skybell even if mounted with a downward angle.

kjlf94301

n3wb
Reaction score
RCA doesn’t seem to care about the people that purchased their original doorbell because it was ONVIF compliant (and a Hikvision rebrand). I’m guessing that was a big portion of their sales for the first one.

Thanks to the person that trialed the doorbell and provided results above. Here is what their support said when I asked about ONVIF:

Andrew J (VOXX International)

Sep 12, 10:31 AM EDT

Hi,

This is not a supported feature for any of the RCA security products.

Best,
Andrew

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another user in the HSDB1 thread also brought this and should be reporting back soon, I will try to link it once he report in his expereince as well, It would really suck if they removed the web portal and ONVIF... well the HSDB1 initially did not have a web portal either, and ONVIF was not officially added until the past few months (but seem motion detection alert via ONVIF still doesnt work)

Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Positives:

Negatives:

What URL did you use for the RTSP? I can't seem to get it to work. It doesnt appear to be the same URL as the original Hik Vision camera.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What URL did you use for the RTSP? I can't seem to get it to work. It doesnt appear to be the same URL as the original Hik Vision camera.
I don't think many people here have enough faith that this will be a good product to just buy it on a whim. Information about it is pretty limited.

If you've purchased it, post some picture of it and screen shots from the app. Post some pictures or video from the dbell cam. Post the FCC ID number that should be on the product somewhere. Post the first half of the MAC address which would indicate who made the wifi card. Sniff the network traffic to figure out how it ticks. Then maybe we can set about figuring out who made it and how well or poorly it works.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think it is sourced from Hik VIsion. If you go off of the Max Address It is made by AzureWave Technology Inc. The MAC Address starts with: 40:9F:38. When you log into the iVMS-4200 app, it shows it is made by EZVIZ and claims to be a model CV330. I updated it to V 5.2.4 Build 180719 with the RCA Security Application.

I had to look at my DHCP server logs to get the address. Once I did, I was able to get it into Blue Iris using the standard Hik Vision RTSP URL. rtsp://ipaddress/Streaming/Channels/101/ I used the username admin and the password that is on the front of the camera and the install guide. It never prompted me to change that during the app install. It does not have a WebUI. Out of the box it has a very high saturation setting as shown in the attached picture. I was able to log into it using Hik iVMS-4200 and change the saturation levels and turn off the date/time stamp, also attached another image. Blue Iris provides the date and time for me so I removed it from the source. Blue Iris has had no issues so far with keeping the RTSP stream going. It has been running for about 8 hours at this point. I am getting a bunch of video artifacts that were occurring even before I added Blue Iris to the mix or messed with any settings in iVMS-4200. You can see that in the attached image as well. Another thing you can adjust in the iVMS-4200 app is the video quality. Up to 22fps is selectable. Default is 12. I have played around with setting it up to highest levels. I didn't see any performance issues with doing that. The wifi does seem to have a very low signal even though it's less than 10 feet away from a Netgear Orbi base station.

The RCA App seems to be working fine, however I do see the memory card getting exceptions quite a bit in the app. I witnessed the same thing in the iVMS-4200 App. The button press/call feature in the app is taking up to 1 minute to start ringing the app.

I am using an Edwards 30va 16v transformer and the exact same mechanical doorbell as shown in the guides. I have the included power kit installed as directed. Below you will find pictures I have grabbed from the app. I used overlay features in BI to cover up the RCA logo with a black square as you can see in the picture with the video artifact. I have opened a ticket with RCA to get that looked at. I may need a replacement unit.

I will let everyone know how the night vision works out tonight.

Attachments

Kamakzie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anybody make a 1080p doorbell with ethernet built into it as well? I have a ethernet cable ran out to the doorbell for my current doorbell the Dbell HD live.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run forensic full packet capture software on my network at all times. I sell and support it for my employer. I just looked at the packets and see this download from the camera for when I first installed it this morning. It's a download of a file that appears to be some sort of provisioning and possibly the firmware update as well. It was 3.8mb in size. http://usdownload.ezvizlife.com/device/HSDB2/2.0/HSDB2_I.dav

I can give anyone the file that wants to see it. It wont let me upload it here.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run forensic full packet capture software on my network at all times. I sell and support it for my employer. I just looked at the packets and see this download from the camera for when I first installed it this morning. It's a download of a file that appears to be some sort of provisioning and possibly the firmware update as well. It was 3.8mb in size. http://usdownload.ezvizlife.com/device/HSDB2/2.0/HSDB2_I.dav

I can give anyone the file that wants to see it. It wont let me upload it here.
Nevermind, you can download it from the link above

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking deeper into the packets. It's making calls out to 224.0.0.251 on port 5353 over protocol MDNS with this address HIKVISION&HSDB2&XXXXXXXX&NOTH._http._tcp.local.

Replaced my Serial Number with the XXXXXXXX.