New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once the service is established and camera is provisioned and up and running it starts streaming UDP packets from the inside IP on source port 1000 to my publicly facing IP over destination ports in the 52000 range. This is obviously the actual video footage.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The user agent string it connects to the web on is "Hikvision" I think we can definitively say, it is a Hikvision that relys upon the HikVision subsidiary EZVIZ services but has some parts that source from Azure Wave Technology. There are mentions in the app and other places of an HSDB3 as well. Can not find anything on the web for that though except where it is mentioned.

kjlf94301

n3wb
Reaction score
The user agent string it connects to the web on is "Hikvision" I think we can definitively say, it is a Hikvision that relys upon the HikVision subsidiary EZVIZ services but has some parts that source from Azure Wave Technology. There are mentions in the app and other places of an HSDB3 as well. Can not find anything on the web for that though except where it is mentioned.
You are awesome. Thanks for doing all his digging!

Any chance if you noticed if on-camera motion detection worked in IVMS?

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Posting some night pictures. Two from the doorbell and two from my other camera. One with front coach lights on and one with them off. No glare, or crazy spots! Yay!

Attachments

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think it is sourced from Hik VIsion. If you go off of the Max Address It is made by AzureWave Technology Inc. The MAC Address starts with: 40:9F:38. When you log into the iVMS-4200 app, it shows it is made by EZVIZ and claims to be a model CV330. I updated it to V 5.2.4 Build 180719 with the RCA Security Application.

I had to look at my DHCP server logs to get the address. Once I did, I was able to get it into Blue Iris using the standard Hik Vision RTSP URL. rtsp://ipaddress/Streaming/Channels/101/ I used the username admin and the password that is on the front of the camera and the install guide. It never prompted me to change that during the app install. It does not have a WebUI. Out of the box it has a very high saturation setting as shown in the attached picture. I was able to log into it using Hik iVMS-4200 and change the saturation levels and turn off the date/time stamp, also attached another image. Blue Iris provides the date and time for me so I removed it from the source. Blue Iris has had no issues so far with keeping the RTSP stream going. It has been running for about 8 hours at this point. I am getting a bunch of video artifacts that were occurring even before I added Blue Iris to the mix or messed with any settings in iVMS-4200. You can see that in the attached image as well. Another thing you can adjust in the iVMS-4200 app is the video quality. Up to 22fps is selectable. Default is 12. I have played around with setting it up to highest levels. I didn't see any performance issues with doing that. The wifi does seem to have a very low signal even though it's less than 10 feet away from a Netgear Orbi base station.

The RCA App seems to be working fine, however I do see the memory card getting exceptions quite a bit in the app. I witnessed the same thing in the iVMS-4200 App. The button press/call feature in the app is taking up to 1 minute to start ringing the app.

I am using an Edwards 30va 16v transformer and the exact same mechanical doorbell as shown in the guides. I have the included power kit installed as directed. Below you will find pictures I have grabbed from the app. I used overlay features in BI to cover up the RCA logo with a black square as you can see in the picture with the video artifact. I have opened a ticket with RCA to get that looked at. I may need a replacement unit.

I will let everyone know how the night vision works out tonight.
They are replacing the camera due to the pink video issues. They think mine has an issue. It’s not advance replacement though. I have to box this one back up and send it back and they will send me a new one.

chow7

n3wb
Reaction score
So I just got the new RCA cam as well and cannot get it to connect to wifi. Every time I close the app to connect to the camera's wifi and go back into the app the spinning circle at the bottom stops spinning and it just sits there... Is there a way I can connect this to my Hikvision NVR with out using the RCA security app?

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I just got the new RCA cam as well and cannot get it to connect to wifi. Every time I close the app to connect to the camera's wifi and go back into the app the spinning circle at the bottom stops spinning and it just sits there... Is there a way I can connect this to my Hikvision NVR with out using the RCA security app?
Did you double check that your doorbell transformer supplies enough juice to run the new doorbell?

chow7

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you double check that your doorbell transformer supplies enough juice to run the new doorbell?
I installed the power pack that came with it. Should I check with a volt meter how much power i am getting? What should be the minimum?

chow7

n3wb
Reaction score
Honestly I am not familiar enough with this new RCA camera. I believe the older one wanted between 16-24 V.

Edwards Signaling 598 120V 8/16/24V 30W Transformer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007B79HR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_lv9OBbM9JA21W
I doubt I need a new transformer. This is a new construction house and others in the neighborhood installed the nest doorbell and ring pro without replacing the transformer. I will try and check the voltage when I get home tonight.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m running the same Edwards and it works fine. I did the math on my previous 16-24v 10va and it was going to be underpowered. This RCA is basically this unreleased Hikvision doorbell https://us.hikvision.com/sites/default/files/na-kb6013-wip_data_sheet.pdf

It says it’s 12watts. If you use the most simplistic calculation to get watts to VA then you end up with 12VA. There are power factors that should be considered but this is close enough to realize that a nutone 10va is going to be too small. It’s why I replaced mine with an Edwards 30VA

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I doubt I need a new transformer. This is a new construction house and others in the neighborhood installed the nest doorbell and ring pro without replacing the transformer. I will try and check the voltage when I get home tonight.
It’s not the voltage you need to worry about as much as long as it’s 16-24v. What you need to check is the VA rating of the transformer. If it’s a 10va like most new Home builds uses, it’s too small. It will likely work but you may have issues at times. There are numerous forum posts for all sorts of doorbells with the same issue. Nest, Ring, etc. lots of times it’s related to the WiFi connectivity issues and getting the doorbell to ring the mechanical chime correctly. Or even having ghost ringing occurring. I have also read of random reboots on smaller transformers.

chow7

n3wb
Reaction score
That hikivsion doorbell is the one I wanted, but decided not to wait any longer and try this RCA one. I don't think I have a voltage issue as the camera powers up and the lights flash/ the voice talks to me (very loud by the way. I was doing it at night and I am sure it woke up the neighbors across the street) My issue is that it wont get past the wifi configuration screen. It freezes every time I close the app to go into the iPhone wifi settings. When I get back to the rca app the little spinning circle at the bottom of the screen stops spinning.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure, it was a bit of a PITA to get it to work right but it worked first time. Did you connect to the WIFI of the camera temporarily? That is what it’s looking for, then you push the settings down to it via the app then it reboots and connects to the real WiFi you specified and you may need to make your phone reconnect too!

chow7

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure, it was a bit of a PITA to get it to work right but it worked first time. Did you connect to the WIFI of the camera temporarily? That is what it’s looking for, then you push the settings down to it via the app then it reboots and connects to the real WiFi you specified and you may need to make your phone reconnect too!
As soon as I connect to the wifi on the camera and then click back over to the app it just sits at the screen in the above picture. I have tried resetting it multiple times and everytime I back out of that screen the spinning wheel stops.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m running latest app and iOS. Not sure why yours is not working correctly.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try using the EZVIZ app. They all ride on the same platform.

Chadsturgill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That you go! Haha. Also you can always go back the the RCA app after it’s added. I’ve tried them all. The RCA App seems to be newer than the rest. However the app bubble numbers are always wrong. It says 76 notices and there at like 4. Maybe being on the bleeding edge isn’t the best.