New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was using the windows 2.8.2.2 version, but now I'm using the windows 3.1.0.7. It looks similar but has a black background and doesn't have the lower pane in device management, so you need to manually add the camera (IP/user/password)

There is a very basic python hikvision library MissiaL/hikvision-client
but I don't know if the full protocol is documented anywhere, I haven't looked.

All the apps were commented upon earlier in the thread. They are free so you can try them all and find one you like. The Hik-Connect/Guarding Vision app is much better on a tablet since it fills the full screen and shows Wifi signal strength in numbers rather than bars.

Skinsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought this doorbell about 2 weeks ago and have nothing but trouble. The doorbell camera itself was MUCH easier to set up than the previous (I had the Nelly's DB1 version) and the image and the night vision are superior. The alerts (so far) seem more reliable and it has worked with BI flawlessly. Also, it would be nice if (once/IF I get the chimes&LED/doorbell to all work w/o the power issues) to get rid of the LOUD electronic chime at the camera itself if you have it hooked with mech. chimes. Also, the speaker volume is MUCH louder than the Nelly's DB1 at the doorbell so people can actually hear me now. BUT I have had voltage problems.

The 16V 10VA transformer that I have used for years just didn't have enough juice to run both the bell/camera AND the chimes. So, I bought a 16V 30VA transformer and it still didn't work. BUT I found in the process that my 29 year old chimes somehow fused and that was maybe the reason the chimes weren't working. SO I bought a new set of chimes .. fancy upgrade with LED lights behind the cover which looks awesome and the chimes AND the camera worked together. BUT the chimes were ringing constantly (chattering) and the LEDs were flashing. SO I decided to slap in a 24V 20VA transformer and things seemed to work properly. BUT the chime LEDs starting flashing constantly again, mostly when the IR lights went on on the camera after dark. SO .. long story, short question .. the chimes themselves stated that I needed 16V and 18 gauge minimum wire. I tried the 16V transformer but no success (even at 30VA). The 24V 20VA apparently isn't quite enough. What would be my best move? Go up to 30V or stay at 24V but go for higher VA (like 30VA or 40VA)? I don't want to fry either the doorbell/camera OR my expensive new chimes. (The wires from the transformer and the doorbell camera are probably 20 or 22 gauge, solid core. Replacing them is not possible). My power pack also seems dead so I am trying to do this w/o it. I just ordered a 24V 40VA trans so I will try that. If it doesn't work, I'm sending this RCA back and will look for another one that will work with BI.

Last edited:

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone run into: The SD card is uninitialized. Please initialize it before recording.

I have the RCA version, and I am using the EZVID app. The SD card is the one that came with the camera. I have been getting this error a few hours every day, and then the problem goes away. There is no issue with it displaying pictures in the call log. When the message goes away on it's own, and you go into the video history, the timeline is blank for several hours, but video from before and after the blanks are still there.

I was planning on swapping out the SD card with a better one and seeing if that fixes the issue. Anyone else run into a similar problem.
I occasionally have the same issue. I turn off the breaker that is powering the doorbell for about a min then turn it back on - seems to get it going again. I was thinking it was just me. The app kicks me out every couple days and forces me to log back in as well.
The problem came back this morning. Any one else run into this issue? I wonder if I got a defective camera. When you go into the memory card on the app it shows "abnormal" I have been able to re-initialize the card.
I'm having a similar issue.....except that I can't initialize the card via the app. Going to try the power cycle.
Did anyone find a permanent solution to this? After having worked for a few days the RCA Security app reported the SD Card as being uninitialized and would fail to format/initialize it and it wouldn't record video.

I used iVMS-4200 to reboot the camera (is there any other way to easily reboot it?) and was then able to reformat the SD card and the "uninitialized" error went away (it is now reported as "Normal"), but I assume it will happen again if everyone else experiences it every few days?
I'm on 5.2.4 190124.

Jdub

n3wb
Reaction score
Did anyone find a permanent solution to this? After having worked for a few days the RCA Security app reported the SD Card as being uninitialized and would fail to format/initialize it and it wouldn't record video.

I used iVMS-4200 to reboot the camera (is there any other way to easily reboot it?) and was then able to reformat the SD card and the "uninitialized" error went away (it is now reported as "Normal"), but I assume it will happen again if everyone else experiences it every few days?
I'm on 5.2.4 190124.
I ended up exchanging mine - been working well since. Also at the same time I ended up swapping out the 16V - 30VA transformer that I had sitting around (had a 16V 10A before that - never tested it with the door bell though) for a plug in 24V 750ma adapter. This is connected to a smartthings outlet so I can remotely reboot it if I had to.

mrceolla

n3wb
Reaction score
I see EZVIZ has IFTTT integration. Does anyone know if I can utilize that integration with the RCA HSDB2A doorbell, or how I would set that up? I created an account on EZVIZ's website but can't see where to add cameras. Perhaps I must do that through a phone app?

mrceolla

n3wb
Reaction score
I see in post #504 that we can at least get PIR events via IFTTT when using the EZVIZ app. New question...

When we register the doorbell with another app, is there anything that starts happening twice? Alarm notifications for instance. Does the previous app continue to work?

Edit: Found out on my own. The EZVIZ app requires me to remove the doorbell from the RCA Security account first.

Last edited:

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The EZVIZ app requires me to remove the doorbell from the RCA Security account first.
It shouldn't. You should be able to use the same account in both apps. (same with Hik-Connect, Guarding Vision, Hik iVMS 4500 ...) They all use the same ezvizlife.com account.

mrceolla

n3wb
Reaction score
It shouldn't. You should be able to use the same account in both apps. (same with Hik-Connect, Guarding Vision, Hik iVMS 4500 ...) They all use the same ezvizlife.com account.
I tried entering the credentials I use for the RCA app into the EZVIZ app and it didn't work. When first setting up the doorbell, I did the new user registration via the RCA app. Both accounts use the same email address but have different passwords. Any ideas how I can make it so 1 account works in both?

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried entering the credentials I use for the RCA app into the EZVIZ app and it didn't work. When first setting up the doorbell, I did the new user registration via the RCA app. Both accounts use the same email address but have different passwords. Any ideas how I can make it so 1 account works in both?
I didn't have to do anything. My account just works on both of them, although I did use Hik-Connect before EZVIZ and that app asked me to accept an upgrade to the account (not sure if that is relevant), but the one account still works in RCA/EZVIZ/Hik-connect.

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One thing that I noticed today using iVMS-4200 on windows: the "CCD" options don't always appear when you click "Remote Configuration". Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And if you try to set WDR to ON in 3.1.0.7 it will fail to save (device/data error), but it works in 2.8.2.2. WDR really helps even out the lighting if your porch is dark but it is really sunny everywhere else.

Jdub

n3wb
Reaction score
One thing that I noticed today using iVMS-4200 on windows: the "CCD" options don't always appear when you click "Remote Configuration". Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And if you try to set WDR to ON in 3.1.0.7 it will fail to save (device/data error), but it works in 2.8.2.2. WDR really helps even out the lighting if your porch is dark but it is really sunny everywhere else.

I’ve noticed the same with the CCD option not appearing every time. I had better results with BLC set to right vs using WDR. It gave me the best results during the day and night. WDR looked ok during the day but a bit dark at night with my setup.

Skinsfan

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, just tried a 24V 40VA transformer and the chime LEDs on the chime are still flickering. I know this isn't technically a problem with the RCA but I also don't know if these LED chimes + the doorbell camera are just drawing too much juice for a 24V and I need to try a 30V. A little scared to as I don't know if this is too much for either the RCA (rated 16-24V) or the chimes (rated 16V). Just curious if anyone else has chimes with LED light that haven't had the same problem. About ready to give up on both and go back to my Nelly's DB1 (although it kind of sucked and I started having constant reboots and 1am phantom rings) and much cheaper, non-LED chimes (my wife loves the new decorative chimes though). I've now traded out at least 5 transformers (lost count). Frustrated ..

mrceolla

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't have to do anything. My account just works on both of them, although I did use Hik-Connect before EZVIZ and that app asked me to accept an upgrade to the account (not sure if that is relevant), but the one account still works in RCA/EZVIZ/Hik-connect.
I think the Hik-connect app did the trick. I flew threw the screens and didn't read, but after logging in via hik-connect with my ezviz account, I could then use my ezviz account info in the RCA app. All 3 apps can now use the same credentials. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
I Have the LaView Halo One version of this DoorBell Camera and have RTSP going to BlueIris. If you have been able to get BlueIris to Trigger Recording using the "Camera's digital input or motion alarm" settings, Please share your settings.

Due to my setup, need to use PIR instead of Motion for Recording Trigger; as tree shadows make motion pretty useless during the day.

Thanks

Jdub

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up exchanging mine - been working well since. Also at the same time I ended up swapping out the 16V - 30VA transformer that I had sitting around (had a 16V 10A before that - never tested it with the door bell though) for a plug in 24V 750ma adapter. This is connected to a smartthings outlet so I can remotely reboot it if I had to.
Just had to reboot my exchanged doorbell - sd card was not initialised. Rebooted via smartthings outlet - all good again after the reboot.

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just had to reboot my exchanged doorbell - sd card was not initialised. Rebooted via smartthings outlet - all good again after the reboot.
Unlikely to be a hardware problem then? Mine hasn't failed again yet but I haven't had many alerts/recordings.

Maybe RAM is full and it gets stuck writing and a reboot fixes it. Is there a pattern as to when it occurs? # of days? # of recordings? Is it recording at the time (is there a partial recording after the reboot), or is the SD card filled to a certain size?

It would be easy enough to write a nightly task that connects to port 8000 and sends the reboot command but that shouldn't be necessary. Hopefully it can be fixed in firmware.

mrceolla

n3wb
Reaction score
It would be easy enough to write a nightly task that connects to port 8000 and sends the reboot command but that shouldn't be necessary.
I'm very curious to learn more about this. Not to send the reboot command, but to send other commands, or get information. Do you have any links to the documentation for this API and/or know where I can see a code sample?

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm very curious to learn more about this. Not to send the reboot command, but to send other commands, or get information. Do you have any links to the documentation for this API and/or know where I can see a code sample?
Port 80/443 ISAPI is disabled on this doorbell so you need to download the "Device Network SDK" for your operating system (Windows or Linux 32/64bit) and use the port 8000 binary protocol. The SDK comes with code samples, but not all features are supported by this doorbell. Or you can hook to the libraries through python ctypes.

SDK - Download - Hikvision

Hikvision python OpenCV

From the SDK:
The interaction of device network SDK (HCNetSDK) supports two protocols: Hikvision private protocol and OPEN ISAPI protocol.

1. Hikvision private protocol is designed based on TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)/IP (Internet Protocol), and most of the Hikvision network products (except some specific products) support login via private protocol (the default login port No. is 8000, which is also the device service port), so this login mode is suggested.

2. The design of OPEN ISAPI (Intelligent Security API) protocol adopts the RESTful style and is based on HTTP (Hyper Text Transport Protocol) or HTTPs, so the login port should be the HTTP port (default: 80) or HTTPs port (default: 443) of Hikvision devices. For HikFalcon series servers, HikBlade series servers, and so on, only login via OPEN ISAPI protocol is supported.

Last edited:

mrceolla

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, darn. That's not what I had in mind. I was hoping I could just send simple http requests from any environment like nearly every other IP camera supports (at least all of mine). I didn't know I would need to utilize an SDK to interact with it. Boo.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I ended up purchasing the LaView rebrand of this doorbell (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFP9C9C) and I'm quite disappointed. I couldn't even set it up. The physical setup was incredibly easy, but when I went through the setup with the app, it just wouldn't complete. When I used the android app, it said that the device wifi password was incorrect (even though I was able to connect to the device's wifi network through my phone's settings just fine), and when I tried the iOS app out of curiosity, it sounded like it was going to complete the setup, but it kept saying that the wifi (assuming my home network) password was incorrect (it was not, I checked it over and over again, and tried to reconnect my phone with the same password with no issues). I've spent so much time just trying to get this setup, that I think I'm just going to return it as defective (perhaps it is and the wifi module/code is having issues). I might try moving the router closer to the doorbell to see if maybe it's just reporting the wrong error (I tried using the app signal tester, but it was completely in Chinese.........this app is garbage).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.