New RCA HSDB2A 3MP Doorbell IP Camera

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wonder if it would make sense to put the transformer on a smart switch that could be scheduled by automation to turn off and on daily, therefore power cycling the doorbell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hmmmmm.....good idea. I have some smart outlets floating around and my transformer just plugs into an outlet.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why you would think that. The fact that it is 2.4GHz only and 2MP vs 3MP makes it significantly inferior. The video will be less reliable and quality won't be as good.
I guess you haven’t read the Cliff Notes section on Megapixels?

The IP Cam Talk ‘Cliff Notes’ is a document containing a lot of collective wisdom, and is incorporated into the IP Cam Talk Wiki IPCamTalk.com. While it is a little out of date with respect to specific camera models, it provides a solid foundation of information.

To access it via IPCamTalk.com, find the horizontal blue navigation bar at the top of any page, and select "Wiki", then in the "Everything Else" category, and then click on "IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes.

Here is a direct link: IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am no newb... and am actually a photography hobbyist and semiconductor engineer. I even know the manufacturers of these sensors. I am aware that MP alone is not warrant of image quality. Actually physical CMOS sensor density and optics matter and I stand by what I said. The DB11 image quality is far inferior to the hiksvision. From all the samples I have seen the Dahua is much grainier and the optical coverage is not as suited for a doorbell cam as the HSDB2.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am no newb... and am actually a photography hobbyist and semiconductor engineer. I even know the manufacturers of these sensors. I am aware that MP alone is not warrant of image quality. Actually physical CMOS sensor density and optics matter and I stand by what I said. The DB11 image quality is far inferior to the hiksvision. From all the samples I have seen the Dahua is much grainier and the optical coverage is not as suited for a doorbell cam as the HSDB2.
I fold!

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And Trust me I have 15 Dahua made cameras (Have tested Hiksvision POE which failed on me before) and now have this one lonely Hiksvision made in my house. I really wish the Dahua one worked out but the lack of 5GHz wifi is a reliability liability: 2.4GHz band is insanely crowded in our current environment and if you want a wifi camera, streaming on it is almost guaranteed failure. I have played around with a spectrum analyzer with even only one camera streaming on 2.4GHz to observe what happens and it catastrophically swamps the channel.
In spite of the shorter range of 5GHz, the lower amount of interference and higher bandwidth actually is an enormous difference maker. So yeah, I think of all the 2.4GHz wifi only devices as mere toys. The HSDB2A is the first offering 5GHz!

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Someone pointed me to this thread as it seems to be THE place to discuss doorbell cameras.
I was looking for a decently priced ONVIF doorbell camera (to work with my Hikvision DS-7716NI-SP NVR), but I can't seem to find a good suggestion. I was going to buy this Hikvision version (or one of it's clones) so that I wouldn't have any compatibility issues with my NVR:
Hikvision - https://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-Doorphone-Doorbell-DS-KB6403-WIP-TF-card/dp/B07FSS6ZFH/ref=sr_1_3
Uniden - https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-U-Bell-Doorbell-faceplates-DB1/dp/B075V9ZKTY/ref=sr_1_4
RCA - https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Doorbell-Security-Detection-Android/dp/B077KW2T1H/ref=sr_1_5
LTS - https://www.amazon.com/LTS-Full-HD-Video-Doorbell/dp/B076JM9C74/ref=sr_1_6
LaView - https://www.amazon.com/LaView-Doorbell-Storage-Pre-Installed-Detection/dp/B079Q435KL/ref=sr_1_8

But the person who pointed me to this thread said it was crap. It sounds like the RCA HSDB2A doesn't support ONVIF and most of the other reviews in this thread are negative. Does anyone have a positive experience with a (recent and still purchasable) ONVIF doorbell camera? All I want to do is record video and capture motion. All the other features (like intercom) would just be a nice-to-have. I don't care if it requires a transformer or PoE as I should be able to run both.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Someone pointed me to this thread as it seems to be THE place to discuss doorbell cameras.
I was looking for a decently priced ONVIF doorbell camera (to work with my Hikvision DS-7716NI-SP NVR), but I can't seem to find a good suggestion. I was going to buy this Hikvision version (or one of it's clones) so that I wouldn't have any compatibility issues with my NVR:
Hikvision - https://www.amazon.com/HIKVISION-Doorphone-Doorbell-DS-KB6403-WIP-TF-card/dp/B07FSS6ZFH/ref=sr_1_3
Uniden - https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-U-Bell-Doorbell-faceplates-DB1/dp/B075V9ZKTY/ref=sr_1_4
RCA - https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Doorbell-Security-Detection-Android/dp/B077KW2T1H/ref=sr_1_5
LTS - https://www.amazon.com/LTS-Full-HD-Video-Doorbell/dp/B076JM9C74/ref=sr_1_6
LaView - https://www.amazon.com/LaView-Doorbell-Storage-Pre-Installed-Detection/dp/B079Q435KL/ref=sr_1_8

But the person who pointed me to this thread said it was crap. It sounds like the RCA HSDB2A doesn't support ONVIF and most of the other reviews in this thread are negative. Does anyone have a positive experience with a (recent and still purchasable) ONVIF doorbell camera? All I want to do is record video and capture motion. All the other features (like intercom) would just be a nice-to-have. I don't care if it requires a transformer or PoE as I should be able to run both.

These are all clones and the same device. The HSDB2 is the version 2.0 of this lineup and still does not support ONVIF. It does support RTSP which is what I use to stream/record and capture motion and it has worked surprisingly flawlessly.

The difference can be found here RTSP vs. JPEG vs. ONVIF (noob questions)

Basics: ONVIF is a device autodetection standard protocol which includes streaming and various control and may include different streaming format, one of them being RTSP. Without ONVIF, it just means that you have to manually setup the RTSP URL and authentication since it is not autodetected by ONVIF.

Last edited:

Jdub

n3wb
Reaction score
I wonder if it would make sense to put the transformer on a smart switch that could be scheduled by automation to turn off and on daily, therefore power cycling the doorbell.

I believe that would work! Great idea. I was considering doing something similar with an APC switched PDU that I have but I haven’t yet confirmed if it can be scheduled. The smart plug sounds cleaner - could wire up a receptacle at the ceiling where the junction box is and put a plug on the end of the transformer wires and connect it to the smart plug.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These are all clones and the same device. The HSDB2 is the version 2.0 of this lineup and still does not support ONVIF. It does support RTSP which is what I use to stream/record and capture motion and it has worked surprisingly flawlessly.

The difference can be found here RTSP vs. JPEG vs. ONVIF (noob questions)

Basics: ONVIF is a device autodetection standard protocol which includes streaming and various control and may include different streaming format, one of them being RTSP. Without ONVIF, it just means that you have to manually setup the RTSP URL and authentication since it is not autodetected by ONVIF.
Oh jeeze, I've been using the terms incorrectly. I thought ONVIF was the protocol that allows the feed and alerts to be sent to the NVR! D'oh! I thought my NVR didn't support RTSP because I didn't see it in the list of protocols (has ONVIF, a bunch of manufacturers, and a list of custom protocols) and I just checked the sub-settings for the custom protocols for my NVR and bam, there is RTSP (kind of a strange workflow, if you ask me). So, to configure the camera, I would just need to know:
Transfer Protocol (UDP or RTP)
Port
Stream Path

For the "Main Stream" and "Sub-Stream". Is this information usually included with the camera instructions? So this means I could use any RTSP camera with my NVR? Sweet! That opens up the options for me. I could even pick up this HSDB2 if I could find a good price. Thanks a lot @rafale, I appreciate the education.

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What you are asking for is almost what I was seeking and this RCA doorbell is the closest I have found to it. I don't especially desire to not have a phone app for notification and if you want to use the call function, you will still need the phone app but... the fact that it offers an RTSP stream enabled me to make it stream to both my NAS for storage and Home Assistant for notifications and have been able to make home assistant send me a snapshot of the camera whenever my front door sensor is tripped on pushover. All of this independent of the cloud storage and the camera's phone app.
It sounds like this RCA cam might be the only option, but will it continue to function without any internet connectivity? (I don't need it to notify my iPhone, I could open the video stream when the doorbell rings)

Can you set the wifi password on it without allowing it on the internet? Or if I temporarily give it internet access, set the wifi password with the RCA app, and then deny it outside internet access will it continue to work and serve the rtsp video stream to my local network and be viewable in VLC or similar stream viewing app?

Or does it not work if it can't connect to its home server?

I wonder how I'd see the recorded sdcard video if not using the RCA app. Would that require giving it internet access as well?

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Simple answer is... None of what you ask requires internet access. Internet access is required only for notifications/event recording and call through the app. If you do not use the app, you don't need to give it internet access. I do not know if you need internet access at the time of registration but I know that the app itself does. After that it works fine without access to its server.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They are all based on the same hardware. The RCA and the EZVIZ for sure are clones down to the brackets. The LaView apparently runs a slightly different firmware. They all have an PIR motion sensor which is why the motion detection is so much better than other devices I tested.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I'm sold. I guess I'll just pick whichever one is cheapest ATM.

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also brainfarting here but just in case: If you have a mechanical chime, make sure you provide enough juice. I have had no problems with this doorbell but I previously converted an old electronic chime back to a mechanical chime and combined with a video doorbell taking up to 10-12w peak, you may have a problem with voltage transients. Your transformer should be at least 20VA (e.g. 20W). Voltage does not matter so much unless you have very long circuit wiring in the house, higher voltage is better as you will pass lower currents and have lower line power loss. Most devices specification support 8-24V but 18-24V would be better. I am reading Amazon reviews and people having problems either are related to poor wifi setup (running on 2.4GHz), phone coverage and android app issues (android apps in general are much flakier due to breadth of devices they need to support and much less stringent requirements compared to iOS) to get their notifications, or power supplies. It is also why there are so many less than stellar reviews of video doorbells... many times it's not the doorbell, it's something else.

JSnP

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also brainfarting here but just in case: If you have a mechanical chime, make sure you provide enough juice. I have had no problems with this doorbell but I previously converted an old electronic chime back to a mechanical chime and combined with a video doorbell taking up to 10-12w peak, you may have a problem with voltage transients. Your transformer should be at least 20VA (e.g. 20W). Voltage does not matter so much unless you have very long circuit wiring in the house, higher voltage is better as you will pass lower currents and have lower line power loss. Most devices specification support 8-24V but 18-24V would be better. I am reading Amazon reviews and people having problems either are related to poor wifi setup (running on 2.4GHz), phone coverage and android app issues (android apps in general are much flakier due to breadth of devices they need to support and much less stringent requirements compared to iOS) to get their notifications, or power supplies. It is also why there are so many less than stellar reviews of video doorbells... many times it's not the doorbell, it's something else.
Most houses might have a standard 16V 10VA(watt) doorbell transformer.

If the mechanical doorbell chimes are anything like this: Wired Doorbell - HeathZenith
they say:

"Verify transformer power rating. Power must be supplied from a 16 Volt AC, 10 Watt or a 16 Volt AC, 15 Watt transformer (Heath®/Zenith models 122C, 121AC, or 125C)"

So wouldn't 20VA be too high? The commonly available Health Zenith Tri-Volt transformer:

https://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-SL-125-02-Wired-Transformer/dp/B000BQY88I

Offers 8V 10VA or 16V 10VA or 24V 20VA (not 16V 15VA or 16V 20VA)

One would think the 24V 20VA is too high for the chimes, and most people buying a doorbell don't expect to have to replace their transformer and chimes.

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The wattage on the transformer is self regulated. I for myself run an 18V 40VA which I tested at 19V without load. 24V might be over-volting indeed but higher wattage the better.

mrceolla

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an HSDB2a on the way. I'd like to be able to get a signal to my home automation system (HomeSeer 3) when the doorbell is pressed. Is there any way to do this with IFTTT or some other method? Or will I need to purchase a Nexia Z-wave Doorbell Sensor? Would a device such as the Nexia Doorbell Sensor cause a problem with the RCA HSDB2a? I also have a doorbell extender installed. Will this be a problem?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYCN1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Nexia-Z-Wave-Doorbell-Sensor-DB100Z/dp/B017VVO9QQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1PDRCMKANIYF0&keywords=nexia+doorbell+sensor&qid=1561253307&s=gateway&sprefix=nexia+doro,tools,142&sr=8-2

Thanks!

rafale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if you use Homeseer3 I suppose that you have a zwave network. If that entrance area is covered, you could use one of the indoor zwave PIR sensors and trigger the home automation with it. I don't think anybody has managed to figure out how to tap the API call from the camera to the cloud yet. I don't think the extender will be a problem.