New, learning but I’ve gotten started

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve never been a camera guy but I was left a “present” in my front yard recently that has changed my thoughts. It’s time for some cameras.

I have been reading here a lot lately, just learning.

I plan on using blue iris and a dedicated PC which I just picked up yesterday. I happen to be local to the seller. $125 cash

I’m basically on a 200’x200’ lot. 75 feet from front of house to street with streetlight across road. Always lit at night. I like my trees too.

I’m thinking of a few starter cameras to kinda get the feel for all this. Varifocal 5442, dahua 180* dual cam, Dedicated LPR cam in a tree, and a good PTZ 25x - this a oughta get me started. I have purchased nothing although I have added them to my cart a few times on empiretec site. Prefer not to use amazon when I can.

I’m not a computer guy. I’m not a network guy. I install irrigation systems. I get dirty and build stuff. All this computering will definitely be new to me.

My 1st question relates to the new, used computer I just bought - I need a Hard drive, purple obviously but what size?

Thanks for the forum and the help. I know I’ve learned from this site.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear something happened, but wait until you get the cameras going and realize how much goes on that you never knew about!

That is a great computer. You will want to get another ethernet port (NIC card) so that you can dual NIC your system to keep these cameras off the internet and prevent them getting hacked.

Sounds like some good starter cams. Keep in mind the 180 needs light and cannot see infrared.

Make sure you get an autotracking PTZ, but also make sure to not depend on it. Fixed cams are the best first line and PTZs are a compliment.

The size of the drive is up to you.

How long do you want to keep video? Are you going to record 24/7 or just triggers? Are you going to record substream 24/7 and switch to mainstream during triggers? Are you going to run high bitrates? All of that determines the size of the hard drive.

Personally I would say minimum 4TB, but preferably 8 or 10TB.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I told my wife about the ”present” in the front yard she said - How do you know it’s not from a dog? Anyway, it’s a frequent stop for delivery drivers, providing a little cover. What I despise is when they leave me a bottle filled with yellow liquid that I’m supposed to clean up. The ”present” was not liquid.

As I said, I’m learning. 2 weeks ago I didn’t even know what any of this stuff meant.

Thoughts are 24 hr recording, sub streams to save cpu usage, don’t know what high bitrates means so to be determined.

I’m in a position to capture license plates on the road. 1st house on the start of a dead end. About 15 housed beyond me. 1 way in and out, all pass me. It would be about a 150’ read for the LPR mounted in a large oak tree. 10 to 12 feet up. Wire would be airborne. power and cable internet pass by the tree, would not be any more of an eyesore than what already exists from public utilities.

Is it better to have two 8 tb drives or 1 larger drive? - elitedesk can handle multiple.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best approach is to spread cameras across drives so when one poops out, you still have some coverage.

So say you have 8 cameras - two on each side of the house. You put one camera from each side on a different drive, so when Drive A goes out, you don't lose complete coverage of a side of the house.

So those that run two LPR cameras will put one on each drive so they don't completely lose that ability when a drive fails.

Personally I wouldn't buy two 4TB.

Start with one 8 or 10 TB. Then as you will find out cameras multiply like rabbits, and you will need another drive and will be glad you have room to toss another 8-10TB drive in the box.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Understood, thats what I was thinking 8 tb and can always add if/when needed.

windows 11 is already on the SSD, blue iris will go there too.

I just caught a thread last night about the dual NIC. I’ll figure that out and do that also. Sounds like it’s worthwhile.

Gotta order wire too. I’m in a ranch, have access to entire house from attic and full basement. End to end house is around 75 feet long.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Myself, I run Cat 6 ethernet cable, 23 gauge solid copper wire.
Yes, I’ll do the same thing - my problem is I’m not sure if I want to run outdoor rated UV resistant in the whole house. I will need outdoor cable for the LPR run to the tree. Buying a short spool is not cost effective.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I’ll do the same thing - my problem is I’m not sure if I want to run outdoor rated UV resistant in the whole house. I will need outdoor cable for the LPR run to the tree. Buying a short spool is not cost effective.
you dont want to run it in the house...its stiffer and a pain to work with....spend a few bux extra for the outdoor run.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you dont want to run it in the house...its stiffer and a pain to work with....spend a few bux extra for the outdoor run.
Ok sounds reasonable. Next question-
POE switch or switches - any downside to having multiple smaller switches vs one large switch? I have no idea how many cameras I’ll end up with but I can see somewhere in the teens being realistic eventually.
Does running multiple smaller switches hurt anything?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I like multiple smaller and cheaper POE switches. Like what was said about HD also goes for POE switches. If you have two 8-port switches if one goes out you still have the other.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How are multiple POE switches wired? Do I need a 3rd NIC on the computer or do we plug the 2nd switch into an open port on the 1st switch - what about a 3rd switch if it was needed, where would that plug in?

Just trying to wrap my head around it...

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
How are multiple POE switches wired? Do I need a 3rd NIC on the computer or do we plug the 2nd switch into an open port on the 1st switch - what about a 3rd switch if it was needed, where would that plug in?

Just trying to wrap my head around it...
Yes, you basically chain then. No, just 2 NICs. One to connect to your home network. The other for your camera side network.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This may help or it may confuse you even more, but this is the structure of my network. It shows the use of the multiple NICs on the BI PC.

I actually have two POE switches in the rack for my cameras, it just doesn't show below. They are jumped together like pictured above. When/if I need to add a third I will just jumper it as well.

Network Layout.PNG

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Both posts and pictures above help. Thank you.

I see the switch has ports designed to daisy chain them together. I was missing that, thinking that you used a port intended for a camera instead.

I’m pretty sure I don’t use seperate switch in my network at all. Just ports off the router. Been awhile since I’ve tinkered with it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not all switches have two LAN ports, so it would be ok to use a port intended for a camera in that case.

That is why it is important to read the fine print. Some cheap 4 port POE switches are just that - 4 total ports, which means only 3 cameras.

Heavyopp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have no problem running Cat 6 cable in my house.
I think you misunderstood what was being said - I need some outdoor cat 6 and was wondering if running outdoor cable inside was recommended just to save me from buying separate spools.

I will run indoor cat6 inside and bite the bullet and spend more for the short run of outdoor I need instead of using outdoor everywhere