New home CCTV build, AMD of any use?

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just for the fun of it I might try a mac mini tonight, less CPU ability but newer Gen CPU.
Anyone happen to know if I can put a BI license key on multiple systems?
(as I do testing I'll be going through a lot of hardware, don't want to put the key on the first one and have it stuck there forever)
Or, can I unregister from one system and re-register on another?

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, the fun of the night.
Threw Win 7 on a mac mini (I think my Apple FanBoi card just got revoked) and it's doing ok.
This is a 2011 Mac mini with an i5-2415M CPU in it. (dual core) and 8GB of RAM.
After boot, system idling, it consumes 13W of power.
With BI running and my 6 cameras, it's using 33W.
It's currently taking 35% CPU. (it takes in the low 20s when minimized but due to folk wanting to watch it, it'll probably stay onscreen most of the time)

I think this might be my solution. The system has some headroom for growth, and with some tuning I can probably improve that (direct to disk N such)
It certainly passes the power consumption test. ($20/year to run)
It's looking nice on the TV in the living room, and with a little Logitech K400 keyboard it should pass the WAF.

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One last evening of fun. I got my 8GB stick of DDR3 RAM tonight so was able to try an old AMD X6 1090T black system.
Idle power consumption is 86W.
BI running same config as the rest 138W
27% CPU usage with my 6 cameras.
So, this one seems like it's the most able, but it's also the most power hungry, although not much different than the Q6600.
Looks like the Mac mini is it for now, it's very living room friendly and seems up to the task quite nicely.