New home CCTV build, AMD of any use?

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First, the cameras:
4x Dericam 206c 720P H.264
2x Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3MP h.264
I was using my Synology NAS as my cam system but it was totally messing up the poor NAS as a NAS.
Also, I'd like to have the cams pop up on the TV easily to aid in WAF and the NAS wasn't the solution for that.

So, I'm thinking of replacing the NAS with a PC running surveillance software HDMIed into the TV.
Other than TV access, I'd like iDevice ability (we're a mac/iPad/iPhone home)
It seems the best bang for buck software seems to be Blue Iris (I really dislike the pay forever concept of iSpy)

I don't need the PC running this to be very pretty, it'll be buried in the basement with a long HDMI cable running up to the TV and I'm a builder with lots of bits laying around the basement.

What sort of PC would be needed to do this comfortably? (with maybe another 720P cam or two added on)
I was thinking some hex/octo AMD as the costs of very comfortable. ($140Cdn for 6 core 3.5Ghz CPU)
An 8G SIMM for $60 and a nice low cost MB($114Cdn gigabyte) with built in HDMI and a complete system can be had.
(HD, case, PS and such are all in abundance in the basement :)

This seem do-able? Would a Hex AMD CPU manage these cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First, the cameras:
4x Dericam 206c 720P H.264
2x Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I 3MP h.264
I was using my Synology NAS as my cam system but it was totally messing up the poor NAS as a NAS.
Also, I'd like to have the cams pop up on the TV easily to aid in WAF and the NAS wasn't the solution for that.

So, I'm thinking of replacing the NAS with a PC running surveillance software HDMIed into the TV.
Other than TV access, I'd like iDevice ability (we're a mac/iPad/iPhone home)
It seems the best bang for buck software seems to be Blue Iris (I really dislike the pay forever concept of iSpy)

I don't need the PC running this to be very pretty, it'll be buried in the basement with a long HDMI cable running up to the TV and I'm a builder with lots of bits laying around the basement.

What sort of PC would be needed to do this comfortably? (with maybe another 720P cam or two added on)
I was thinking some hex/octo AMD as the costs of very comfortable. ($140Cdn for 6 core 3.5Ghz CPU)
An 8G SIMM for $60 and a nice low cost MB($114Cdn gigabyte) with built in HDMI and a complete system can be had.
(HD, case, PS and such are all in abundance in the basement :)

This seem do-able? Would a Hex AMD CPU manage these cameras?
Welcome to the forum...amd is a poor choice for an always on NVR...intel has them beat with respect to power consumption...the cpu requirement would depend on the software you intend to use as well as the total MP count. Based on your post, an I5 haswell will be more than enough..these can be had for 300 via the dell outlet or ebay...look at the dell optiplex or hp elitedesk 800...they have three year next business day warranties.

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Software seems to be Blue Iris (unless something else is good for cost/performance?)
MP.. The Dericams seem to be 1MP (720P) and the Hikvisions are 3MP
4(maybe 6) x 1MP + 2x3MP come to 12MP?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Software seems to be Blue Iris (unless something else is good for cost/performance?)
MP.. The Dericams seem to be 1MP (720P) and the Hikvisions are 3MP
4(maybe 6) x 1MP + 2x3MP come to 12MP?
A modern haswell i5 will handle this no problem..using the direct to disc recording option and you are looking at about 30 percent cpu utilization...
Blue iris is superb and my vms of choice..

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, so about $100 more for the CPU. ($229Cdn for a quad core i5-4460)
I do have a couple of iMacs laying around, but I think they're just i3, probably a bit weak for this.
Alright, time to build a proof of concept box I guess, see how things look on the TV, see if WAF is at an acceptable level.
I found with a coupon that I can get BI for $40 Cdn so that's not bad..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so about $100 more for the CPU. ($229Cdn for a quad core i5-4460)
I do have a couple of iMacs laying around, but I think they're just i3, probably a bit weak for this.
Alright, time to build a proof of concept box I guess, see how things look on the TV, see if WAF is at an acceptable level.
I found with a coupon that I can get BI for $40 Cdn so that's not bad..
Dont build your own system..it makes no sense...you cannot build it cheaper than the dell outlet or ebay...though it may be different in canada
Blue iris is windows only.

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are there i5 systems available for ~$330?
I've got everything in the basement except for the CPU/MB.
Understood on the Windows only for BI, if I was going to try the iMac, I would've just thrown Windows on it.
Windows itself would be costless, I've got enough things laying about the basement with old license keys on them.

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just checked the dell outlet, cheapest 4th gen system they have is $469US ($564CDN)

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With a bit more shopping on newegg.ca, found a CPU/MB combo that comes to $300Cdn ($250US)
i5-4460 $229Cdn
MSI H81M-E34 $65Cdn

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With a bit more shopping on newegg.ca, found a CPU/MB combo that comes to $300Cdn ($250US)
i5-4460 $229Cdn
MSI H81M-E34 $65Cdn
It will cost you more to build your own-like bp said look for the coupons or try ebay...get the serial number and look up the warranty status..then if you have an issue it will take serveral days to rma a part..with a three year next business day warranty they will come out the next day and make the repair...
The foscam license should be fine if its for V4, however, I would never support a terrible company like foscam...blue iris is developed by a single programmer that puts a lot of hard work into it...there is no team, its just one guy...I would support his effort.
http://blueirissoftware.com/
Download the demo and see if you like it..

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried Dell but the outlet store seems to be US only, I can't even select Canada for shipping.
The Cdn refurb store only has 2400 series i5 CPUs, so seems a tad old. Warranty is 100 days only.
I'm guessing if I had issues, I'd have to (pay) ship it back to them, so mostly the same as dealing with a dead CPU or MB if I were rolling my own.

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just cobbled together a quick system from junk in the basement..
An old Core 2 Q6600 quad core CPU
8GB of DDR2 RAM
1TB HD
Win7-64

The system consumes 78 Watts idling
It takes around 130 Watts while running BI and my 6 cameras
BI says it's using between 40 and 60% CPU.

How many watts do modern BI systems take?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the TDP specs of a Q6600 versus an i7-4790k, I would expect about a 20 watt drop in power. Perhaps more since the newer CPUs are so much faster, they would be less utilized by the same camera load.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its hard to tell for sure but i would estimate about half, possibly less ..a modern haswell i5 will consumer 30 at idle and about 60-80 under your loads, tough the load will be way less on an i5 haswell..so a fair guess would be 50-60w...If you buy an S processor you will drop consumption further...they are almost as powerful as the regular models.
Note that your system has video card..the i5 will have integrated graphics that will lower consumption as well..also keep in mind that the q6600 benchmarks at 3000 which is less than half a haswell i5 and is lower than i3's...

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, this has a nasty big video card in it, in all ways a not efficient system.
So, if it's taking twice what a modern system is taking, 60 watts more say, at the power rates here, that's $3/month or $36/year.
About 8 years to equal the cost of a new MB and CPU.
I think I'll cobble together my old 6 core AMD as an experiment, just to see how it performs and how much power it consumes.
This is fun. :)

Thanks for all the info/advice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, this has a nasty big video card in it, in all ways a not efficient system.
So, if it's taking twice what a modern system is taking, 60 watts more say, at the power rates here, that's $3/month or $36/year.
About 8 years to equal the cost of a new MB and CPU.
I think I'll cobble together my old 6 core AMD as an experiment, just to see how it performs and how much power it consumes.
This is fun. :)

Thanks for all the info/advice.
Check your rates again...that number seems too low...I pay about 20 cents a kwh that totals about 104 dollars a year for 60w running 24/7..i cant imaging you guys are paying under 7 cents..remember to consider the both delivery and the power itself...they charge separately...also taxes..
Here is a good calc http://www.electricity-usage.com/

skywise

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We do pay $.07 /KWH, in a province full of rivers. :)
Your calculator shows $36.69/year for 60 watts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We do pay $.07 /KWH, in a province full of rivers. :)
Your calculator shows $36.69/year for 60 watts.
Thats great..then power consumption its a not really a high priority...