New Hardware and BI v5 - Graphics requirements?

Miacomo

n3wb
Reaction score
Your two options are at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
Buy this 8th gen i5 (Which is faster than the 6th gen i7-6700 you posted). Throw an 500gb ssd in there and you are good to go.
What would you suggest as a step or two up from this model you suggested? I just purchased BI and will be running 45 cams at 4MP and about 10fps.Of course, I'll use substreams. I'm also going to use IVS in most of my cams.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What would you suggest as a step or two up from this model you suggested? I just purchased BI and will be running 45 cams at 4MP and about 10fps.Of course, I'll use substreams. I'm also going to use IVS in most of my cams.
You will need more than a two steps up for that load. Will you be using SenseAI or only rely on the cameras triggers?

Miacomo

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sure....BI is all new to me. My Dahua cams have IVS, so I can use that as a trigger if need be. I have "generic" PTZs and 4 generic turrets that I'll need to use BI's motion sense. Whatever you guys suggest...as I said, BI is new to me and I want to get a PC that will do the job. I'm fine with a refurb.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure....BI is all new to me. My Dahua cams have IVS, so I can use that as a trigger if need be. I have "generic" PTZs and 4 generic turrets that I'll need to use BI's motion sense. Whatever you guys suggest...as I said, BI is new to me and I want to get a PC that will do the job. I'm fine with a refurb.
The use of AI puts a much larger load on the system (when triggers are being processed). We can assume that only some of the 45 cameras will trigger simultaneously- but that is not the case with every setup.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not offloading to a GPU.

It is best to just use the GPU now for AI and use substreams for BI.
I'm not familiar with the new Blue Iris' use of AI, so I'm not sure what you're saying. You're saying a separate GPU is better if I'm using the AI, but otherwise just use the onboard processor? I'll probably never exceed nine webcams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the new Blue Iris' use of AI, so I'm not sure what you're saying. You're saying a separate GPU is better if I'm using the AI, but otherwise just use the onboard processor? I'll probably never exceed nine webcams.
Once again for your load, you do not need a GPU, unless you want to throw money down the drain.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

I want to add one comment to my mention of only using the CPU vs CPU + GPU. I run NO AI, Deepstack, etc. I have not tried the GPU in the mix with AI.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit.
I think that’s already been said before?

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I don't think I need AI. My triggers for movement on my current old V4 system seem to work well enough for me. I don't think I need object recognition. Also, from reading some of the AI threads it seems to be glitchy. What am I going to miss out on if I build a system incapable of running AI well?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think I need AI. My triggers for movement on my current old V4 system seem to work well enough for me. I don't think I need object recognition. Also, from reading some of the AI threads it seems to be glitchy. What am I going to miss out on if I build a system incapable of running AI well?
If you are satisfied with V4 then you will be fine without AI. Many here don't run BI AI.

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are satisfied with V4 then you will be fine without AI. Many here don't run BI AI.
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some major benefit. The functionality is interesting, but unnecessary for my current needs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some major benefit. The functionality is interesting, but unnecessary for my current needs.
Yeah I was using it a lot when it first came out, but as I have upgraded cameras to ones with built-in AI, I have found those to be spot on for my needs. I am only using BI AI on one camera right now.

It is a great tool, but many have found that their field of view and setup doesn't require the additional overhead of the AI.