New BlueIris Server: Dell Precision T1700 Specs?

brad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I know its covered a ton, but with the change in hardware over the years, I'm rusty. Any recommendations on a new, mostly dedicated BI server? I was considering the following:

• Dell T1700
  • Intel i7-3790 (was going to use the Xeon E3-1200 but it seems the i7 is more favored on other forum posts - that much better?)
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 310 510MB (dedicated video card necessary? Another better?)
  • 16GB DDR3 Non-ECC (ECC better?)

Max is 2TB drive :( Got about 6 cams but would like to plan for 10+. Not that much space for storage.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know its covered a ton, but with the change in hardware over the years, I'm rusty. Any recommendations on a new, mostly dedicated BI server? I was considering the following:

• Dell T1700
  • Intel i7-3790 (was going to use the Xeon E3-1200 but it seems the i7 is more favored on other forum posts - that much better?)
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 310 510MB (dedicated video card necessary? Another better?)
  • 16GB DDR3 Non-ECC (ECC better?)

Max is 2TB drive :( Got about 6 cams but would like to plan for 10+. Not that much space for storage.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
That I7 is third gen..if you are buying new get a haswell 4th gen..my systems of choice are dell optiplex and hp elite desk business systems..the i7 haswells can be had for about 500..I think dell is having an outlet sale now
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3033-PC-recommendations?highlight=elitedesk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the high end CPU chart on cpubenchmark.net for CPU comparisons. About the most efficient CPU you will find today is Intel Core i7-4790K. Is is perhaps the fastest out-of-the-box quad core CPU there is while still remaining under 100 watts TDP. You can get similarly powerful Xeon CPUs but you will pay more for them and they will probably use 6+ cores and more watts to accomplish that speed.

No dedicated video card is necessary if you buy a consumer Haswell CPU (not xeon) because they have more than adequate graphics processing built in. These days, any onboard graphics is likely to be enough for Blue Iris.

ECC ram is technically better as it can reduce the risk of random crashes due to memory corruption. But this is the type of error that may happen once every few years, and ECC ram costs more and limits your CPU and motherboard choices. 8 GB would be enough memory with plenty to spare, unless you are running some other memory-intensive workloads on the same system.

Why is the max a 2 TB drive?

It sounds like you are prepared to seriously overspend on this system unless you found a really good deal on a used server.

brad

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008: I don't prefer to spend this much, but I do keep computers a long time. I'm not sure WHAT to cut that wouldn't drastically reduce performance. My present 7yr old BI server reports 95%+ CPU 24x7 and I just want better. I can reduce the i7-4790 (4th gen) to a i5-4590 or even dual core i3-4150. Would that still keep the CPU I need for 10+ cams? I'll drop the video card for sure. Thank you very much.

Not sure why 2TB is max on dell.com. Will ask a rep on order for larger options.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The most cost-effective thing you can do if you want an i7 right now is go here:

(dell coupon code page)
http://t.co/bjefWLgfZI

There you will find a sale on OptiPlex 7000 Series Desktops with the code OPTI7000

Click the Shop Now button below that, then on the left, tick the box for 4th Gen Intel Core i7. You should find a number of i7-4790 systems priced at or near $850. 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD. The coupon code will take $350 off the price, making it $500 plus tax. You will be hard pressed to find a better deal on anything, and this should leave you with enough money that you can afford to put in a larger hard drive. The Mini Tower has two 3.5 inch drive bays, though it probably won't come with extra drive mounting caddys or SATA cables, so they are a bit of trouble to expand as you'll need to buy those separately.

For $10 more there was a system with a 1 TB drive instead of 500 GB. These systems go in and out of stock all the time, so if you find one you like, don't wait around. Also beware the small and ultra small form factor versions have very limited expansion options.

brad

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008: I just saved $500. You rock. Thank you.

PM me if I can ever return the favor (as task; not cash :rolleyes:).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL it is no problem.

I wouldn't have known about these refurbished deals either if @fenderman wasn't always telling people to buy them!

Last edited by a moderator: