New BI PC setup question.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj I did not know if the individual was technical enough to understand about security updates and what they provide. But your comments are accurate.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
On my Dedicated BI machine at the Condo I'm running a Samsung Evo 256GB SSD, and an 8TB WD84PURZ, 3.5"/128 MB/5640 RPM and a 5TB 3.5" WD50EZRZ 5400 RPM.
Im leaving about 300-500 GB free space on each WD drive.
Cam 19 went online yesterday. About 2/3rds of the cams are written to the Surveillance drive in the folders NEW Aux1 Aux2 Aux 3 Aux 4 Aux 5 Aux 6 Aux 7 Aux 8 Aux 9.
And about 1/3 are written to the 5TB WD white label drive in folders named Aux 10,11,12,13
Stored is not used. I'm getting 5-6 weeks on average for storage.
If a I see a suspicious vehicle Casing the parking lots, I create a folder in the Pictures folder named with the License plate.
Or if a resident is doing suspicious shit, I create a folder named like Unit119. every dumb ass thing they do goes into the folder.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think there are any known issues with w11 and BI at this point in the game. If I was installing a new system today I would no hesitate to using w11.

jmltech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If BI would work on Linux, imagine how simple of a machine you would need. I’m thinking a lean linux mint running on an I5, compared to all of the windows bloat that needs to be running.

Anyway, I have BI running on an older Intel NUC that I had laying around - an I5. Has 3 cameras so far, 16 g memory and I have stripped windows 10 to bare minimum. So far, most that I have seen CPU was at 5%. I don’t use this computer for anything else. I have also set up the NUC with dual ethernet and the cams on their own network. All setup info that I learn from this site and the forums.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If BI would work on Linux, imagine how simple of a machine you would need. I’m thinking a lean linux mint running on an I5, compared to all of the windows bloat that needs to be running.

Anyway, I have BI running on an older Intel NUC that I had laying around - an I5. Has 3 cameras so far, 16 g memory and I have stripped windows 10 to bare minimum. So far, most that I have seen CPU was at 5%. I don’t use this computer for anything else. I have also set up the NUC with dual ethernet and the cams on their own network. All setup info that I learn from this site and the forums.
Windows runs just fine on todays machines. Bi doesnt use much resources anymore now that substreams can be properly utilized. CPU power is aneeded for AI like deepstack which you are not using if you are only seeing 5%. That said modern systems are much more powerful than systems of a few years ago. There was a huge jump in the 8th gen intel systems and then again over the last couple of years. We are at the point where a 12th gen i3 is more powerful than an 8th gen i7. A modern i7-12700 has 2.5 times the passmark score of the i7-8700 and almost 4x as powerful as an i7-7700.
Most folks can run their systems with AI on a $160 i5-8500 system off ebay including running ai.